Planning a road trip to Sundre, Canada

• Might have mispoke there, from Ontario we always go through North DAKOTA then cross up through to Estavan Saskatchewan if we're trying to make time, but as far as scenery and things to explore, across to Yellowstone on the U.S side is an awesome trip . One way there and the other back would make for an amazing trip for you !

offers a lot to see

• I was already thinking a different route home. My Dad was from northern MN, so I'm familiar with the rice flats and all, but since I've never driven the Dakotas, I'd like to do it once. I might also swing through northern northern MI/MN to see the family, but probably won't have time.

I hear you on the personal firearm in Canada....but I gotta get there first. Think the Mounties would hold it for me at the border for a few days? :P

As for dates, I don't know. @SundreSlingQueen tells me she's already planning it, getting permits from the town, etc, but she hadn't said dates. But, since there's only what, 2 weeks of summer up there, I'm thinking same general period as last year.

• I hadn't thought of that, but although a top is planned someday, I'm unlikely to have it by then. I'll just have to do all the alternate plans - headcover, cooling vest, air wings, maybe do the ventilation tubes a couple of the guys do, plus sunscreen. Maybe just not drive in the hottest part of the day. We'll see.
    Love to see you on the road, though. Glad I could reignite a spark for ya.

Oh come on.

Someone lend him a top for this awesome adventure...

Now here I go again being a :DONKEYSS: ...

But... Patrick, you send him one to borrow, he returns it when done, and I buy it a nice discount! Win, win, win!

That way my Sling continues to be built from this wonderful family! :CHECKSS:

• Wow! We got left out! :) And 19 already going!

Other than the first day when I wasn't prepared, I did fine without a top for the Sling on the way to SSITR. After that I kept plenty of cold water. I haven't had anyone pull a gun on me, try to car jack me or any other nasty behavior. Just don't cause road rage! :)

In Wyoming, Big Horn Scenic Byway, Hwy. 14A is great. After that Chief Joseph Hwy and Beartooth Pass unless you are going through Yellowstone - I think that takes a little backtracking. North through Montana is beautiful. I got some snowflakes on Beartooth Pass last June.

• Oh come on.
    Someone lend him a top for this awesome adventure...

LOL, @MiM. Not necessary, but thanks. I can ride through the heat as long as I keep moving and keep my head covered, and if you keep them wetted, it keeps you pretty cool.

Speaking of which, didn't I see someone on here who had bought one of those evaporative cooling vests? @Bubblehead, you, maybe? If anyone has experience with those, can you give feedback? Are they worth doing?

• Wow! We got left out! :) And 19 already going!

Other than the first day when I wasn't prepared, I did fine without a top for the Sling on the way to SSITR. After that I kept plenty of cold water. I haven't had anyone pull a gun on me, try to car jack me or any other nasty behavior. Just don't cause road rage! :)

In Wyoming, Big Horn Scenic Byway, Hwy. 14A is great. After that Chief Joseph Hwy and Beartooth Pass unless you are going through Yellowstone - I think that takes a little backtracking. North through Montana is beautiful. I got some snowflakes on Beartooth Pass last June.

Yes, I marked myself down as "interested." I think they only have 8 actually listed as going.

I don't cause road rage, Anita, at least not as far as I know. I'm usually gone too fast for it to really occur.

I wish I had time to really stretch out the drive...it would be so cool to see all that stuff in the open air. But I really wouldn't want to do it without my @sideseatdriver, so we'll save it for another time.

But I definitely want to cruise through Montana! :D

• I bought one and sent it back. They need a lot of wind running through them to work, you don’t get enough riding in the sling. You’ll do better carrying a few bottles of water and soaking your shirt every 10-15 minutes or so and refilling the bottles during gas stops.

• OK, after 18 or so years with the school district I am apparently unaware of my wife's schedule. She could make this trip in July - although I haven't actually brought it up yet. If the dates get firmed up, I'm going to do my best to plan it. I don't have a top but can grow and shave my hair according to the weather. It sounds like a posse could be forming in the lower 48 to invade Canadia (where Canadians are from) en masse. We can check or bury our firearms at the border. What say you @SundreSlingQueen? Is it on???

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• LOL, @MiM. Not necessary, but thanks. I can ride through the heat as long as I keep moving and keep my head covered, and if you keep them wetted, it keeps you pretty cool.
    Speaking of which, didn't I see someone on here who had bought one of those evaporative cooling vests? @Bubblehead, you, maybe? If anyone has experience with those, can you give feedback? Are they worth doing?

I have two of the cooling vest I purchased thru SlingMods. Really need to soak them good and they do get a little on the heavy side when wet, but they work great and a little wind really makes a big difference.

• @KayTwo, I can't tell from your original post for sure, but it appears you may be going thru my area also. Once you decide if it can/will happen, and hammer down the route you take, just know you are welcome to have a free meal and a clean place to sleep and shower at our place. I'm just 15 miles north of I-70, just after you cross over into Indiana from Ohio.

I didn't think about this trip for this year. @Rob the Slob and I have been talking about a Sturgis run in the Slingshots next year. We were open to dates, but didn't want Bike Week out there. Might be doable to make them both if we can get the schedule aligned.

On a side note, I now have a "Secured Driver's License" from the State of Indiana. I may have understood incorrectly, but I was thinking one of the places that it allowed me to go was to Canada.... no passport needed with it. I know that by Oct 2020, you need it to fly (maybe even take a train, not sure on that one), enter some Govt buildings, and I was thinking could be used as a passport for Canada. I know it was a real hassle to get, took me about 1/2 a day to run down all that I needed to get one.

• Just FYI you don't need a passport to enter Canada, a birth certificate and drivers license is really all that is needed (passport makes thing easier) but getting back into the US they require a passport. I do know that Michigan does recognize what we call an enhanced drivers license as well so you are probably good to go but would definitely want to look into first to save a whole lot of headaches later

• Ok, family, I've taken a bunch of previous comments and suggestions into account, and I've done some research. Here is my first shot at an itinerary. Left some things out, focused on seeing what I can from the road but also making time.

All times listed are drive times and does not account for lollygagging or pump & dump stops.

Fountain Inn to Sundre: (total 2488 mi, ~40 hrs)
    Day 1: Fountain Inn to Madison WI, 873 mi, 13:23
    Day 2: Madison to Sturgis, 801 mi, 11:26
    Day 3: Sturgis to Helena MT, via Cody WY and Beartooth Pass, 730 mi, ~12 hrs
    Day 4: Helena to Sundre, 455 mi, 7:35 (plus however long the Mounties delay me at the border)

Sundre to Fountain Inn: (total 2860 mi, ~45 hrs)
    Day 1: Sundre to Cohasset MN (family), 1122 mi, ~18 hrs
    Day 2: Cohasset to Lynn (maybe a stop in Cushing WI), 680-840 mi, ~10:30 to 13:30
    Day 3: Lynn to Fountain Inn, 521 mi, 8:30

Would love to know what you guys think, especially those who have traveled some of these roads.

Anyone from this forum in the close vicinity to Sturgis or Helena who might have a spot in the driveway for me to roll out a sleeping bag?

@adventure4me, @Slingrazor, @SlingLow, @MWSlingshot, @Goats_Hogs, @jorgebri60, (or anyone else!) do any of you see any legs of that route that you might want to travel with me?