Planning a road trip to Sundre, Canada

• A great route we have done on a bike once and the sling and a bike.
    Head to Rapid City, see Rushmore.
    Next Cody Wyoming which is the gateway into Yellowstone.
    Go North out of Yellowstone and straight up into Canada.
    From there you will need input from the Northerners.
    Take this route on the way up, then the more direct route home through Chicago.
    If you could anchor up dates I can see about joining you.

• I'll take a look at those deviations from the route.

As soon as Shawna puts out dates for the Slingfest, I'll make my plans. I'm guessing 4-5 days for the drive up and the same timeline going back (although I can do it in 2 if I'm pressed and don't care about my mental state at the end of it), and I want a couple days around the campground so Mark can put me to work if there's anything to do.

• ohh yeah Beartooth Pass to Yellowstone and then up through Montana and the Going to the Sun road in Glacier National Park then cross the border at Chief Mountain and a party straight shot to Calgary .... that would be an epic ride

• @gooseman, I totally get it - different culture, different country, gotta follow different rules, etc. I just dont like it. That's why I dont go to f&$%in' New Jersey. But this is Slingfest! Might be the only chance I ever get! So I'll suck it up.
    How far are you from Sundre?

3200 kms or about 2000 miles if you cut down through the US towards Chicago

• Oh, shut up. You won't do it.
    I may ask to borrow your Baker Air Wings, though, if I haven't gotten a chance to test them before that. :D

While it would cool AF to ride there (and yes, I “could” logistically do it), we’re hanging on the East Coast this year for vacations ~> Too much stuff happening to really consider it.

*And yes, you’re welcome to borrow the air wings. :thumbup:

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you...
    Signature.png

• Oh, shut up. You won't do it.
    I may ask to borrow your Baker Air Wings, though, if I haven't gotten a chance to test them before that. :D

@KayTwo

Wow, that sounds like a trip I could really get into. I jut might be able to make it happen.
    As far as the Baker Air Wings goes, having had a chance to ride with them the last few weekends I would highly recommended them as they do a great job of reducing the Air flow around the sides of the ripper windshield.

Michael West
    Gainesville Ga.
    404-401-0841

:SLRSS::COLDAIRSS::MOTOROILSS: :OILFILTERSS: :00008862::00008698:

:00000436::00000436::00000436:

Edited once, last by MWSlingshot ().

• Erica, if you are looking for a major road between Montana & Alberta, take the I-94 straight east out of Fargo, ND, and cut up I-15 at Butte, Montana.

The drive is spectacular with great highways the entire ride. Easily one of my best road trips. Very scenic. We take this route when driving home to Manitoba even for two reasons...

1) The Price of Fuel alone makes it a better choice. Gas prices in Canada are to be minimized. Currently $1.06 / liter which as a very rough calculation is $4.25 / gallon, which with current exchange brings it to about $3.00 USD.... And that is for Regular, never mind 91 grade.
    2) The Scenery. Once you cross that Canadian border, be prepared for nothing but flat roads and no twists & turns whatsoever, so stay Stateside for this reason alone. Take the ride down to Butte and across Montana though....WOW, great ride! To be clear, once you start getting closer to Sundre, the roads improve :)

data=!3m1!4b1!4m26!4m25!1m5!1m1!1s0x5376a212baf95ca3:0xdb2efc212d94336b!2m2!1d-114.640501!2d51.797215!1m5!1m1!1s0x536e864af15acd23:0x1c5c78e36295beae!2m2!1d-112.84184!2d49.69349!1m5!1m1!1s0x535a3f36d0ef3cd1:0xb5cd681d4d4f9799!2m2!1d-112.5347775!2d46.0038232!1m5!1m1!1s0x52c8cb8d84677145:0x81aa30a52791aaca!2m2!1d-96.7898034!2d46.8771863!3e0?hl=en

Sorry I don't know how to shorten that link

:BLACKSS: 2016 Black Pearl 8)

Edited once, last by MBMedic: Forgot to add exchange costs ().

• Seriously though.... If you officially make this trip, I would be tempted to head south and hook up with you somewhere along the I-94, likely around the Minot, ND area, unless you angle up out of Sturgis. Then I would catch you further up. (word of caution... Heat through the Dakotas this time of year is intense without a roof on the Sling to keep that sun off you) My Wife and I were more than a little Red last year. The heat is GREATLY reduced by going though Fargo VS Sturgis.

Oh, a little gem of a road too along the path is the Enchanted Highway.... enchanted-highway Pop up out of Sturgis and take it in. FYI.... Not a major Highway, however, the blacktop is new & smooth, and no real traffic, so the highway feels like it is all yours alone.

• Seriously though.... If you officially make this trip, I would be tempted to head south and hook up with you somewhere along the I-94, likely around the Minot, ND area, unless you angle up out of Sturgis. Then I would catch you further up. (word of caution... Heat through the Dakotas this time of year is intense without a roof on the Sling to keep that sun off you) My Wife and I were more than a little Red last year. The heat is GREATLY reduced by going though Fargo VS Sturgis.

Oh, a little gem of a road too along the path is the Enchanted Highway.... enchanted-highway Pop up out of Sturgis and take it in. FYI.... Not a major Highway, however, the blacktop is new & smooth, and no real traffic, so the highway feels like it is all yours alone.

I think big trips like this one will be a no-go for us in 2018 ~> next year (and going forward), I'm not ruling it out. I was serious though, about crating my sling and dropping into one of our carrier trucks, then flying up to Saskatoon to get it ~> sure, it may take a few hours of work to secure it... I just get nervous on long rides like this without my firearm (also, not having a good bit tooling near me if something goes wrong, does mess with my OCD). Besides that, it would be a good excuse to go riding with some forum family and pay a visit to our Canadian branch). I know the area up there... cell coverage sucks and it's barron for hundreds of miles ~> but the views are SWEET!!

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you...
    Signature.png

Done, and DONE! Thanks for the tips, I'll look into them.

• WHY WOULD YOU EVEN OFFER THAT AS A SOLUTION??? THEY DO HAVE HANDGUNS!!!

:00008172::00008172::00008172:

I do a lot of my riding in Michigan with jay canter who proudly carrries and a few others that do also and I have never felt intimidated or fearful. I have a lot of family in the US as I am a dual citizen. I am just careful on where I go except one particular time. Just after getting the sling, i ordered my madstad windshield and had it sent to a friends place just on the outskirts of Detroit. No problems as it was in a decent area and we were able to get off the expressway pretty easy and back on so I thought. The ramp to get back on was closed so we followed the detour they had signed. Anyways it took us right down 8mile which at one time was the epic centre of bad ass Detroit. Talk about feeling uneasy! I said to the wife to lock the doors and if looks could have killed I wouldn't be here. Everyone was staring at us as we were driving by in the sling since they weren't many around. All I could think of was we were going to get jacked so I made sure I kept an out available if I needed to gun it out of there. We made it with out a problem and we chuckle about now and agin when we talk about rides

• Jared,
    Ima watch this thread with great interest. I'd mentioned to you that we've been planning a trip up there this summer for either Sundre slingfest(if they had it) or just to visit. With all that's happened, however, we left everything pending and details are still up in the air. But if you're planning a trip up and you want to venture far enough west, we might be able to meet up with you. I haven't figured if I'm flying or driving yet, depends on who's going I guess, but if we do drive, I'll meet up with you somewhere around Colorado or South Dakota area. If mama's going with me I'll be towing mine though but if that falls through and I end up alone (as frequently happens), I'll ride and meet up with you and we can head north together. Anyways, I'll keep this thread pinned and see what pans out. There's no way in hell I could take off for more than a complete week and it's a 3 day drive up there for me as well so I'd only be able to stay up there 3-4 days max before having to head back.
    Oh, and to mirror what someone else said, It's hot as Eff up there that time of year so yeah, plan on lots of water and if you can swing a top by then, I'd recommend it as well. I've done that route to Sturgis several times and it's brutal during the heat of the day. Add to that the fact that our slings just run much hotter than a bike so keep that in mind as you plan your packing for the trip. Expect weather to be hot as shit during the day and cool to very cold at night.
    Anyways, thanks for posting. You got me motivated to get this going again. :thumbup:

• KayTwo you might think about towing. Last year my wife son took a moving truck from Laporte to Utah. They ran smoke for 3 states because of all the fires.

I totally would, but I don't have a trailer, and my tow vehicle has 180k miles. Love that truck, I'll go up and down the east coast but cross-country to Canada is out.

• Heh @KayTwo I.m late to the thread as usual but what an awesome adventure , I might also recommend the U.S. route up through Rushmore and Yellowknife one way, even us Ontarians, once we,ve driven the Canadian route once, always head souhtwest into Port Huron Michigan and across that way to Calgary straight up from Yellowstone. While I,m sure you,d find the trip across the prairies interesting one way its a bit of a haul the second time through. Remember with only one tenth of your population spread out over an even larger geographical area, there are lots of miles of pretty much, not a lot of anything in between . But as far as the people and atmosphere you,ll meet along the way, Im thinking your gonna like it.
    And really dont worry about the handgun, your never gonna need it up here, we live our entire lives just thinking about our guns, only around hunting season ! Like I say its a whole different atmosphere up here, while we like to hang our trophies on walls, there's nothing really that appealing about a Naval Officer,s head to us lol especially one with no HAIR OR HORNS!
    But you've really got me thinking here, is it the same date as last year ?

• Oh, and to mirror what someone else said, It's hot as Eff up there that time of year so yeah, plan on lots of water and if you can swing a top by then, I'd recommend it as well. I've done that route to Sturgis several times and it's brutal during the heat of the day.

I hadn't thought of that, but although a top is planned someday, I'm unlikely to have it by then. I'll just have to do all the alternate plans - headcover, cooling vest, air wings, maybe do the ventilation tubes a couple of the guys do, plus sunscreen. Maybe just not drive in the hottest part of the day. We'll see.

Love to see you on the road, though. Glad I could reignite a spark for ya.