Ride events at SSITS

• Anyone here know what the group rides will be like at Slingshots in the Smokies? Type of rides - leisurely, medium, or fast paced? Number of Slingshots per group, etc. Are all of them starting out in the early mornings or can more than 1 group ride a day be scheduled? And any other related info pertaining to the group rides.

• Anyone here know what the group rides will be like at Slingshots in the Smokies? Type of rides - leisurely, medium, or fast paced? Number of Slingshots per group, etc. Are all of them starting out in the early mornings or can more than 1 group ride a day be scheduled? And any other related info pertaining to the group rides.

Mostly morning starts for the organized rides. I do not think they do slow, medium fast rides anymore. If you want to go slow, make sure you are with a like minded group. They try to hold the groups to 20 Slingshots, and even that is too many. Look around at the fair grounds and let people know what you would like to do, small groups all day long for slow or FASTEST rides. There is not a bad road up there just be sure to have your smart phone or GPS to get you back. That is the best kind of riding, pick a road and ride until you decide it is time to get back to Maggie .

• Mostly morning starts for the organized rides. I do not think they do slow, medium fast rides anymore. If you want to go slow, make sure you are with a like minded group. They try to hold the groups to 20 Slingshots, and even that is too many. Look around at the fair grounds and let people know what you would like to do, small groups all day long for slow or FASTEST rides. There is not a bad road up there just be sure to have your smart phone or GPS to get you back. That is the best kind of riding, pick a road and ride until you decide it is time to get back to Maggie .

^^^ WELL SAID GERALD!! @Carbon_One First rule of thumb is to ALWAYS ride your limits! BUT, if you really want to go fast, stick with those who have a Turbo Silver sling... they're the FASTEST! :P

To expound a little on "slinging around" MV: You should keep in mind that cell service can be spotty in some mountainous areas, you may want to download the map(s) for areas which you're riding in to view them offline [Google maps works and it only takes a minute to do]. Remember, cell towers use triangulation [where angles are measured], GPS uses trilateration [where distance is measured]... hence, offline maps should still work when signal goes out (most newer phones will compute distance without signal).

*Special instructions if you're using a flip phone* Here are the directions you should commit to memory: ALWAYS make a right at the cow, head toward a red barn, go yonder about 1 mile until you see ED's (they are everywhere)... but don't stop at ED's... NEVER stop at ED's! Pull over about half mile past any ED's, find a big rock, crawl under it... and cry!

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you...
    Signature.png

• ^^^ WELL SAID GERALD!! @Carbon_One First rule of thumb is to ALWAYS ride your limits! BUT, if you really want to go fast, stick with those who have a Turbo Silver sling... they're the FASTEST! :P
    To expound a little on "slinging around" MV: You should keep in mind that cell service can be spotty in some mountainous areas, you may want to download the map(s) for areas which you're riding in to view them offline [Google maps works and it only takes a minute to do]. Remember, cell towers use triangulation [where angles are measured], GPS uses trilateration [where distance is measured]... hence, offline maps should still work when signal goes out (most newer phones will compute distance without signal).

*Special instructions if you're using a flip phone* Here are the directions you should commit to memory: ALWAYS make a right at the cow, head toward a red barn, go yonder about 1 mile until you see ED's (they are everywhere)... but don't stop at ED's... NEVER stop at ED's! Pull over about half mile past any ED's, find a big rock, crawl under it... and cry!

You can say what you want about flip phones but more than once people have asked to borrow my FLIP PHONE because I was the only one with service in the mountains. Garmin does a pretty good job with the GPS maps.
    OLD FARTS RULE!

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• ^^^ WELL SAID GERALD!! @Carbon_One First rule of thumb is to ALWAYS ride your limits! BUT, if you really want to go fast, stick with those who have a Turbo Silver sling... they're the FASTEST! :P

Thanks

• Thanks for the info… much appreciated!

We’re SSITS rookies, we’re signed up for 003 and 010. When we signed up we had 2 rides in same day, Ivor put us on BRP to Asheville. What can ya tell us about that ride?

My wife has some vertigo issues, thinking it may be best for us to run Dragon on our own. Couple weeks ago I went on Google maps and mapped out a couple rides, after reading FunCycle’s post, leaning more towards doing our own thing instead of the SSITS planned group rides.

Also… what can ya tell us about Poker Run?

Thanks

• Welcome @ThomaSS more than likely you will not have to ride anywhere by yourself, just ask around with the people that you will be meeting. There are plenty of like minded folks to ride with just let other's know how you would like to ride and where.

• Thank ya

Right now SS is up at Rev Dynamics getting digital air ride, new shoes, Corbin bags and a few other mods. I’ll be sure to post a pic or two when we get it back, Mitch is shooting for first week of April. Feel like I’m 9 years old again waiting for Christmas. :P

• Like you, this will be our first SSITS. Fortunately, we live on the other side of the mountain from Maggie Valley. I don’t think you can find a bad road in the Smokies.

The secret to enjoying the area is to ride your own ride. Yes, there are several places that vertigo could be an issue, these are the Great Smokey Mountains.

There are some spectacular views from some of the pull outs. Good news, vertigo isn’t a major issue on the Dragon. You are too busy looking for the turns. . I have ridden over it on my Vulcan, Mazda and truck. I love that road, I just don’t race over it. Lost me next door neighbors son on it last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John
    '15 Nuc 'em 'til they glow orange
    '15 Ram 2500
    '16 Denali 289 RK
    '17 Mazda 3 HB

:ORANGESS:

SOG supporter

• Thank ya

Right now SS is up at Rev Dynamics getting digital air ride, new shoes, Corbin bags and a few other mods. I’ll be sure to post a pic or two when we get it back, Mitch is shooting for first week of April. Feel like I’m 9 years old again waiting for Christmas. :P

Welcome Thomas!

Is your Sling a navy blue??? :whistling:

• Thanks for info @pricejh61. Yeah @Boomer I think we'll be more of the ride and see mode than fly and drive, my wife will struggle some with curvy roads, at least she has in the past. I'm sure at times fly and drive will be hard to resist and get the best of me. I want to be able to pull over if need be to give her a break, without holding others up. We're coming in on the 26th, so as long as weather is good, we'll get some riding in before rally starts.