something new to try this weekend

• So I shouldn't lick it? :/:huh:

not unless your going to marry her

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• So after seeing your sponge deal did have the rubber side I decided to run back down and get the mothers speed version. I believe they're both essentially the same set up. It did conform to the contours alot better than I thought it would. Still an odd concept and not sure if it's better than traditional clay however it did seem to work. I don't know if I'll fully go for it until I can try it out on one of my main vehicles which after learning the plastic test seem to be a million times worse than the slingshot was.

• Wash your ride - you want to do this on a clean surface (to prevent scratches.)
    • Feel your paint with the back of your hand. Always use the back of your hand to prevent leaving fingerprints and smudges.
    • Now put your hand inside a clean sandwich plastic bag, ziploc, whatever - just plastic - and feel that same spot you felt with your naked hand.
    • HUGE DIFFERENCE HUH?! The bag is creating a barrier so you can now feel every single imperfection.

NOT my words, stolen off another web site

LC

• In the old days we'd just have a customer remove the plastic wrapping off their cigarettes, place a few fingers in and drag it lightly across their paint after it had been washed and dried. A poorly waxed, or contaminated finished would cause the plastic to drag/catch on the paint. You could also have them pull the back of their hand across the paint and it would either glide across smoothly or stick....which meant my auto detail just went up a bit lol

• So after seeing your sponge deal did have the rubber side I decided to run back down and get the mothers speed version. I believe they're both essentially the same set up. It did conform to the contours alot better than I thought it would. Still an odd concept and not sure if it's better than traditional clay however it did seem to work. I don't know if I'll fully go for it until I can try it out on one of my main vehicles which after learning the plastic test seem to be a million times worse than the slingshot was.

I looked at the mothers speed version at my local auto parts store, that is what got me looking into synthetic alternatives to clay in the first place. I like that the synthetics can be reused more times than real clay and I really like that if I drop it I dont have to throw it away like clay - just rinse it off and its good at new, I went with the nanoskin mostly because it was less money and got good reviews

• Well it worked perfectly. This is the fine grade i used the last of my topcoat as a lube and did the plastic bag test when i was done and it is smooth as glass. Polished it and sealed with nu finish. Tomorrow i am thinking i might top it with carnauba wax to finish it off

Sent from my iPhone using Polaris Slingshot Info

So all you did was Wash, Use this 'Clay sponge", sealed with Nu Finish and then put your topcoat on?

That simple and easy?

• I looked at the mothers speed version at my local auto parts store, that is what got me looking into synthetic alternatives to clay in the first place. I like that the synthetics can be reused more times than real clay and I really like that if I drop it I dont have to throw it away like clay - just rinse it off and its good at new, I went with the nanoskin mostly because it was less money and got good reviews

Oh I agree on the nanoskin, I looked at the link you provided and will probably try one. I just happened to be seeing all the pics of yours shining and the talk of waxing had me itching to try it regardless this weekend. While I'm not sure it justifies mother's being twice as much as the nanoskin I will say the hard shell grip setup on top was nice to hold on to. I feel like if it did good on heavy buildup you could definitely save on time vs clay on a full size vehicle.

• So all you did was Wash, Use this 'Clay sponge", sealed with Nu Finish and then put your topcoat on?
    That simple and easy?

No, I washed and then used the "clay sponge" using the TopCoat as a lubricant for the clay - when claying a car you need to use a lubricant so that the clay slides easily on the clear coat. after I clayed using the topcoat as a lube I then applied the Nu Finish as a sealant

and yes it was that easy just not in that order :)

• No, I washed and then used the "clay sponge" using the TopCoat as a lubricant for the clay - when claying a car you need to use a lubricant so that the clay slides easily on the clear coat. after I clayed using the topcoat as a lube I then applied the Nu Finish as a sealant
    and yes it was that easy just not in that order :)

Great and thank you! I do have one more question. Why did you use the topcoat as lubricant instead of water or something along those lines?

• Great and thank you! I do have one more question. Why did you use the topcoat as lubricant instead of water or something along those lines?

Water alone is not a good lube from what I have read. Most of the information I have found says to use either a quick detail spray or a product sold specifically as a clay lubricant.I wanted to avoid having to go out and buy things I didnt already have and under the FAQ's on the TopCoat site they recommend using the Topcoat as a lube when clay barring so I figured I would use it. you can look under "Surface Preparations" at this link to see where they say F11 works well with a clay bar Topcoat FAQ page.

• Water alone is not a good lube from what I have read. Most of the information I have found says to use either a quick detail spray or a product sold specifically as a clay lubricant.I wanted to avoid having to go out and buy things I didnt already have and under the FAQ's on the TopCoat site they recommend using the Topcoat as a lube when clay barring so I figured I would use it. you can look under "Surface Preparations" at this link to see where they say F11 works well with a clay bar Topcoat FAQ page.

Thanks for helping and explaining it to a noob!

• Thanks for helping and explaining it to a noob!

I am just a noob too - I am happy with my weekends effort, but things may change as I read and learn more :)

• Oh my... Another hood to lick!

Very nice @TheWickedReaper! Did you buy those inserts or have them painted?

Lol. I do believe that may be the most unique compliment I've ever received but thank you. Gonna have to use that one later...

I bought them. I actually found a really good deal on the black pearl deck humps that I couldn't pass up and after getting those I got the hood pieces and gas cap to match. So pretty much got the kit that polaris offers for a fraction of the cost minus the strip that goes on the fin by your head, never could locate that piece.
    I wanted to keep the old hood pieces to try and dip and play around with but unfortunately tore them to pieces trying to remove them so painting them may not have worked out the way I wanted anyways.