Important Congressional Bill H.R. 2381 - its not good!

• Congressional bill H.R.2381 Text of H.R. 2381

this is a bill before congress to create a class of three wheeled vehicles called "autocycle" in addition to making this new federally recolonized class it also imposes new safety standards including steering wheel airbags. As the bill is currently written to be an autocycle the three wheel vehicle must among other things be front wheel drive and have a "fully enclosed occupant compartment" whatever that means.

Anyway I am against this bill and I think we all should be. I have no doubt that if this bill passes it will at some point be expanded to cover the slingshot and if this happens it could spell the end of reverse trikes that are not buried in smog and safety requirements.

If this has already been posted sorry for the duplicate

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• Michigan,
    Now that I think about it he has more than likely been approached by a lobbyist from a manufacturer who promises jobs if they can get a federal reg that favors them.
    Think Polaris might have more money.

Proud supporter of S.O.G.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

:thumbsup:

Owner/operator: MeanSling LLC :thumbsup:

• I would think the Sling would be grandfathered in, but I agree that we don't need more federal oversight. Pretty much nothing goes well once the Feds get their hands on it.

I would imagine that Slingshots already licensed and on the road would be grandfathered in, but it could kill future production due to the increased cost of the new safety requirements

• Looks to me like this new bill would take the Slingshot out of the autocycle category. Not necessarily a bad thing.

“(1) ‘autocycle’ means a motorcycle with 3 wheels in contact with the ground, front-wheel drive, a fully enclosed occupant compartment, and a steering wheel, which is subject to applicable Federal motor vehicle safety standards, as determined necessary by the Secretary of Transportation through regulation.”.

It doesn't have front wheel drive or a fully enclosed occupant compartment.

• Looks to me like this new bill would take the Slingshot out of the autocycle category. Not necessarily a bad thing.

“(1) ‘autocycle’ means a motorcycle with 3 wheels in contact with the ground, front-wheel drive, a fully enclosed occupant compartment, and a steering wheel, which is subject to applicable Federal motor vehicle safety standards, as determined necessary by the Secretary of Transportation through regulation.”.

It doesn't have front wheel drive or a fully enclosed occupant compartment.

yes, if passed as now written and not changed in committee, where the bill is now, it would have no effect on our slingshots, but I personally don't feel comfortable trusting that it will not get amended to include all 3 wheel motorcycles. The entire point of this bill seems to be changing the current classification so that they can increase the safety requirements and regulations which I personally do not want

This bill was in the works for a few years now, has come up a couple times without a vote, and lobbied for by Elio ....

Elio is broke (spent investors money on politicians) and IMO their product will never see public use so Congress no longer cares about it .....

....... ninja-squared

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......

• yes, if passed as now written and not changed in committee, where the bill is now, it would have no effect on our slingshots, but I personally don't feel comfortable trusting that it will not get amended to include all 3 wheel motorcycles. The entire point of this bill seems to be changing the current classification so that they can increase the safety requirements and regulations which I personally do not want

Agreed! From it's introduction folks have been trying to change the SlingShot from it's original concept as a motorcycle, into a car, all just so they are no longer required to wear a helmet? Isn't this like cutting off one's nose to spite the face? Unfortunately, I do not believe that these folks will stop until this is accomplished and we will loose all the freedoms being classified as a motorcycle has provided us..............

Bill

• Agreed! From it's introduction folks have been trying to change the SlingShot from it's original concept as a motorcycle, into a car, all just so they are no longer required to wear a helmet? Isn't this like cutting off one's nose to spite the face? Unfortunately, I do not believe that these folks will not stop until this is accomplished and we will loose all the freedoms being classified as a motorcycle has provided us..............
    Bill

people better be careful - look at the name of the bill "Autocycle Safety Act" it isnt about just making a new name to call three wheel motorcycles - its about requiring more safety regulations that they can't require as long as its just a motorcycle - - this is all about more regulation. Yes some people might get to get rid of their helmet, but they will have to add a airbag and crumple zones to do it

• Hmmm, so as I'm reading this...it means, go out and purchase two more Slingshots (just in case..what the heck 3 lol), so that they will be grandfathered in when and if this hopeless measured garbage happens! I won't lose any sleep...I'm sure someone will want to add mandatory airbag vest to all motorcycle riders before this passes lol

• In Some states they are already classed as auto cycles...each state has a different set of rules...

I’m not in favor of this bill....that said..

Can we start a petition to vote no on this bill. And maybe get Polaris in on it?

I’m ready to sign....my big bold JOHN HANCOCK....

If they make the SS fall into this category....it’s no longer a motorcycle. It will be a three wheel car that needs emissions testing (catalytic converters) and tons of air bags and other safety equipment like safety glass windshields and wipers, defrosters, roll cage.

Is that where that fatal crash happened with the seat belt “failure”

• yes, if passed as now written and not changed in committee, where the bill is now, it would have no effect on our slingshots, but I personally don't feel comfortable trusting that it will not get amended to include all 3 wheel motorcycles. The entire point of this bill seems to be changing the current classification so that they can increase the safety requirements and regulations which I personally do not want

I have to disagree with the "amended to include all 3 wheel motorcycles". No way it will cover the Harley/Honda/any other brand trikes out there. Can't cover the Spyder either. As for the Slingshot, it's titled (for now, at least mine is) and licensed as a motorcycle. Worst case would be to drop the autocycle label and have the owners use helmets in the states that require it, and include having to possess a motorcycle license in the states that require one.

But I get what you are referring to. One of the reasons I really wanted to get in on the Slingshot was that I did fear the long arm of Govt changing regulations over time that would force Polaris to either raise the price drastically for things we didn't want in the first place, or force them to stop making it altogether. I was certain anyone that had one would be grandfathered in, and I wanted to be one of those if it happened.

I do think that even if it was signed into law as it reads here, it wouldn't affect us other than we just go back to a "motorcycle" status instead of an "Autocycle" status. Slingshots aren't fully enclosed with front wheel drive and air bags, so that would void us from that class if they deemed autocycle be to those standards. I already have a motorcycle endorsement, and most states are iffy on the helmet laws, so in those states I either wear one or take the risk if I don't.

But I'm not from the social state of regulations like you are. I understand your concern while living there. If we have to go back to just a motorcycle status, I'd recommend you not try splitting lanes with it.... :00008356:

• Yes and no....states that have safety inspections can fail your vehicle for not having all the required safety items.... so if you take it to get inspected and the new law requires an air bag...you fail until you get one. Or you would have to run a special plate...with many limited use rules.

Garages arent going to take a chance on losing their license to pass an “unsafe” vehicle...I’ve had a garage...with dealer plates a salesman’s license and an inspection license...state police regularly show up to check the books. And if they want to they can sit right down the road and pull over every vehicle coming out of that garage and do their own safety inspection. If it fails you lose your license....maybe forever....there goes a big part of your income.

One little change and we’re non compliant.... I’m not so sure we would be grandfathered in... or you could constantly be pulled over. I’ll call it harassed..

The best thing to do is a petition or call your congressman and tell them to vote no.

• Yes and no....states that have safety inspections can fail your vehicle for not having all the required safety items.... so if you take it to get inspected and the new law requires an air bag...you fail until you get one.

Not true. All new cars and trucks sold now must now have airbags to be sold in the US. I have a 1994 Chevy Z71. That was the last year for no airbags in that truck, in 1995 they had them. My vehicle is compliant for the year it was manufactured and the laws and regulations that were in place at that time.

Disclaimer, we do not have safety inspections in Indiana currently. They do in Ohio however, and I have more than one friend that lives there with older vehicles (without airbags) and they still pass.

• Keep this in mind...those old vehicles are not or were not being placed into a “ new” category which is what we will be facing....BIG DIFFERENCE... apples and oranges...

My state Calls it an auto-cycle....and I have to follow motorcycle rules and safety inspection.

So from the day we are classified as an autocycle under the new rules...we might not be grandfathered in..

New rules and new compliance requirements.