Important Congressional Bill H.R. 2381 - its not good!

• They want to take us out of the motorcycle category....once that happens all bets are off....

They mentioned side by side seating and a steering wheel. DAAAAA... the only reason we have our SS is because it was manufactured as a motorcycle and those regulations....

When those idiots start making us autocycles.... (auto)....(cycle) it will become more car than motor cycle because they already have a motorcycle category.....they will want stricter regulations to make them more like cars....air bags, crash tests, side door reinforcement, roll cages, mileage requirements, front and rear bumpers, emissions tests....all this adds about $15-20,000 and 1000 pounds....and you’ll follow car rules not motorcycle rules..

Then you’ll have a 3 wheel car....cycle....which then won’t even make sense.... because it won’t be anything like a cycle....it will be more like a car...

• NHTSA believes consumers who purchase these vehicles are likely to assume that these vehicles have the same safety features and crash protection as passenger cars certified to Federal safety standards.

Why aren’t they worried about idiots that think cars are seventy mile an hour telephone booths on wheels?

• I for one, am not worried... I've seen many bills like this before die in committee UNLESS the injury insurance claim rate exceeds a certain dollar amount (blame insurance lobbyist for that one). Further, there is more pressing stuff going on politically, that I would be SHOCKED if this gets any tracktion.

Hell, we've seen really good bills not get traction... LOL. Not worried either. @kev Good post also. We might know the intent of the filer, be able to read and interpret legislative intent, but I'm sure someone, somewhere will muck it up in the process to either drag everyone else into it, or have been lobbied by someone with a "safety gizmo" that needs to be added to every future model. OR, the agency overseeing the implementation will enforce in an entirely different way than it was written. I wish I had invented the back up camera...

Alpha Supercharger is still spinning fine... it gets rode hard, every time.

• There have been many other reports like this....just like the new gun debate...enough people complained about the SS and now they want to regulate it more to shut everyone up.

Next they will be making your SS illegal and taking it away ....because you can’t handle it.

• I live in California. and even if the bill as passed by congress keeps slingshots in the motorcycle category I trust the California governement to subvert it and screw up everything

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• There have been many other reports like this....just like the new gun debate...enough people complained about the SS and now they want to regulate it more to shut everyone up.

Next they will be making your SS illegal and taking it away ....because you can’t handle it.

THEY WILL NEVER TAKE MY FREEEEEEEDOM!!!!! :00000014:

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you...
    Signature.png

• Looks to me like this new bill would take the Slingshot out of the autocycle category. Not necessarily a bad thing.

“(1) ‘autocycle’ means a motorcycle with 3 wheels in contact with the ground, front-wheel drive, a fully enclosed occupant compartment, and a steering wheel, which is subject to applicable Federal motor vehicle safety standards, as determined necessary by the Secretary of Transportation through regulation.”.

It doesn't have front wheel drive or a fully enclosed occupant compartment.

In PA it’s already an autocycle.....and it’s not a front wheel drive....that’s where we have a problem because some states have already set the standard.....if some egghead says Hey look it doesn’t have you be front wheel drive....as per these states....get the picture..???