I'm exhausted and need help

• Looking for the numbers and source for the head to exhaust manifold gasket, and the copper compression ring for header to exhaust flange.

I have had the problem of a backfire when shifting in the upper RPM range. Usually indicates a fresh air leak into to the exhaust. I have removed the header (1320) and do not see any obvious places that have been leaking so I want to replace both gaskets and ring. I wonder if an application of the red gasket sealer during install would be of benefit.

What say you?

LC

• ok thanks. I just knew it had to be easier than going to the local parts store. If you can't tell them the exact year make and model they can't find it in the computer.

Is the triangle style gasket proper even if the copper ring is in use? The Welter flange is cut for the ring.

LC

• Update. Found the head to header gasket at Advanced Auto, about eight bucks, Felpro 97122. Angie from Welter sent me a copper crush gasket for free. All sealed up and ready for test ride.

LC

Good luck .... went through 2 factory (GM) manifold gaskets before getting the 1320 ..... they just didn't seal right with the header since they are of laminated construction that is tack welded together. The tack welds are in areas that do not matter with the cast manifold but keep the solid header flange from sealing and quickly developed leaks ... others have experienced same ....

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......

• I know what you are talking about the stock gasket. I also found the 1320 header flange to be not flat at all. Seems where the tubes are welded to the flange it is warped or pulled out of being flat. I milled it flat and used a gasket (the Felpro) that has a material on the steel part to help with sealing. I also used a muffler sealer type of gasket maker compound when I installed it. Hopefully all the extra stuff will make it work. If not guess I'll be forced to get the gaskets offered by 1320.

LC

• I'm about to swap out the Alpha, variable exhaust, with the 1320 downward discharge exhaust and I will be keeping my 1320 exhaust manifold,

Should I purchase new gaskets?
    If so what ones & what manufacturer?
    Would it be good practice to change both the triangular exhaust gasket & the block/manifold gasket, at this time?

All the best, from UK_Paul

• Paul, I would suggest you should get the above gasket set, from 1320 direct. When I did mine I got my gaskets direct from 1320 not through Ebay and they gave me a nice discount. Lay a straight edge on the head side flange and check it for flatness, I had to mill mine about .045 to get it flat. Then get some permatex high temp copper silicon (in squeeze tube) and put a generous coat on both sides of the gasket when installing, torque everything and you should be good to go. If you use the old sealing ring the silicon and gasket will make up for it being pre crushed, no need for a new one.

LC