IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN TO ME or YOU CAN'T MAKE THIS SH#T UP

• HI Everyone.

I've been \away for a while dealing with life issues. First the wife had a scare with the big C, and we got past that. Then my mom had another stroke right after Thanksgiving. She is doing well now, regaining strength, but she is getting up there with age and a lot of health issues to deal with. We just accept fate and the cycle of life, greatful for every day the good Lord gives us with her.

Then comes the night of January 25th.

It was getting late and we were ready for bed. About 11:30 pm there is a knocking on our back door. We knew instantly who it was. My wifes 29 yr old drug addictted son was there. We checked the security cameras and saw him on the patio. We havent had any contact with him for over a year, even though we are raising his 3 year old son. Another camera showed several individuals in a car in the drive. We called 911 but living in the country takes time for them to get here. After about 20 minutes of knocking and him trying to force the door open, the people in the car get out and open the trunk to put stuff in. They were here to rob us.
    I thought they were trying to break into the garage. I went out the front door to suprise them and told Kate to stay inside. She didn't listen. I had them at gunpoint when she came out and they all started yelling at each other. It turned out the driver was her son's drug dealer and he owed the guy $300 and they were going to take it. They were actually trying to steal a restored globe to pgas pump. They were trying to put it in the back seat of a BMW. Drugs apparently make you stupid. It's 7 ft tall and weighs over 300 pounds.

Anyway, I had them at gunpoint and all was well until Kate got in the line of fire. The driver jumped back in the car and put it in reverse. Kate was in the way and I went to pull her aside when he floored it. It ran over her and struck me. Yes, it RAN OVER HER. I slid down the side of the car and got hung up on the drivers side mirror. My gun was at the window and his face was bright red from the laser. I pulled the trigger 3 times but nothing happened. It turns out that when i went to pull her out of the way, I hit the slide safety. Kimber 1911 for you gun guys. He got away but I gav the police a description and direction of travel and they got them before they made it back to town.

My leg was injured but is healing. I was on crutches for weeks but can now walk ok without. I won't be running any races anytime soon. Kate wasn't as fortunate. She had a tramatic brain injury but will recover from that. Her shoulder was in 20to30 pieces. The surgeon did an awsome job and rebuilt it. The worst was her leg. I saw the tire spinning as it went over her calf. No broken bones or muscle issues.She has a large area on her shin that the skin died. She currently has an open wound with a wound vacume on it. It is about 18cm x 20cm. When they change the dressing, you can see bones and muscles.

She will recover, but they said it will be at least a year before she can get back to work. If she can raise her hand level with her shoulder, the will be happy.

After 15 days in the hospital, she is home but in extreme pain. 2 surgeries so far but more, including skin graphs, to come.

I just ask that you keep us in your prayers. Like I said, you can't make this up.....

• My God, it's so hard to say you two were lucky enduring these wounds, but damn, we're glad you're here with us. Jump on the train. There's over a half dozen of us going through some rough times physically, but nothing compared to you and your wife. Bill does come close though. If there's anything we can do, just holler. This family always pulls together for members needing assistance if possible

Nobody gets outta here ALIVE

• Will add you and your wife to what is getting to be too long of a prayer list! That is some crazy stuff. Sorry that you hit the safety in the madness that was ensuing. Then again, maybe that dealer needs to live to change at some point. I've been very fortunate, don't have any drug issues in the immediate family line. When family is involved, it makes it much more difficult. Glad it wasn't worse, and it could have been....

• Such a huge tragedy!!! Drugs have ruined so many families, ours is no exception.
    We are so sorry to hear about the injuries to you and your wife. No words can describe my feelings about such senseless acts of violence. I only wish the safety had not switched to the safe position. The world would be a better place right now if one more useless air breather had been dispatched that night. My wife and I have very strong beliefs regarding what should be done with those that would willingly cause harm to others.
    We will keep you both in our prayers and thoughts for full recoveries. If you need anything, please do not hesitate to ask!!!!!
    God Speed in your journey of healing!!!!

Those who will give up essential liberty to secure a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety

2016 Slingshot SL Vin# 8855 (born in September 2015) w/ Alpha Stage 2 Turbo @ 7.5psi