Rotor Problem? Help please...

• Okay guys, as I installed brake covers today, I had some time with the wheels off and noticed something on the passenger side that I took video of to share and get insight here...

Remember, I am not mechanically inclined, but willing and possibly able to try anything if I have the tools and maybe a video as a guide...

So...

Also, @WraithSS commented that my rear rotor is badly scored... I told him they are all like this... Rusty and with lines I believe... He asked about pads and I honestly don't know? They looked like they still have padding left... Like a centimeter's worth, if that makes sense or is even possible.

Finally, the driver's side front has something interesting as well that the passenger's side doesn't do, but I neglected to take video of it. However, I believe the lower ball joint is bad because the whole assembly (rotor, brake, arms) can wiggle slightly.

Be nice, as I'm an idiot! :D

• Not sure that I am seeing anything wrong other than that you have rusty rotors. The rotor will not float when the wheel in place and torqued down. The part of the caliper that moves in the video is by design so when you apply the brakes it pulls that side to the rotor. Now on the drivers side there may be more to the story.

• Hey @MiM run the sling down the street and your pad contact on the rotor will clean off the surface rust. If you run your finger nail across the rotor surface once they have cooled off of course and if you feel ridges, then the rotors need to be resurfaced.

When life knocks you down, calmly get back up, smile, and very politely say, "Is that all you've got?

• Hey @MiM run the sling down the street and your pad contact on the rotor will clean off the surface rust. If you run your finger nail across the rotor surface once they have cooled off of course and if you feel ridges, then the rotors need to be resurfaced.

Thanks! Yeah, the Sling hasn't been driving in quite some time and is stored outdoors with lots of moisture/humidity/drying up cycles...

• Thank you @Zeeboo, @Wrenchmn, and @mniron! This is why I love this place and have learned so much!

Was worried and figured it wouldn't move once wheel was torqued back, but still thought I'd ask...

So rotors need resurfacing? Why do they get this way?

Must be because you're driving it causing wear. Stop driving or quit using the brakes! Your choice...

How many miles are on those rotors and have the pads been changed? Different brake pad compounds may cause more wear than others. Also, use in a dry climate may cause faster wear due to dust build-up without the advantage of self-cleansing as in a wet environment.

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• As you already know... Normal.

I have noticed that the SS rotors rust over faster than others.

Back when I first got the SS I washed it and then pulled it into the garage. Pulled the e-brake out of habit and finished drying off and waxing. Two days later I went to go drive it and it wouldn't reverse like normal. Damn pad had rusted to the rotor in the rear... confused-squared

Proud supporter of S.O.G.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

:thumbsup:

Owner/operator: MeanSling LLC :thumbsup:

• So rotors need resurfacing? Why do they get this way?

“May” need resurfacing, from the video it looks fine other than rust. The rotor will wear with grooves if you have aggressive pads. The stock rotors are quite soft and do wear easily.

• Marco, you're going to constantly have those problems with the rotors. There's only two ways to correct that.

1. Move to Florida so you can ride it year round so the rust doesn't build up on the rotors. If that's not possible, see option 2

2. Ship it to me before the end of the year and I'll make sure it gets some gentle use for you until Spring. I'll drop it off to you on the way to Kerrville every April and there won't be any charge to you (not responsible for excess mileage or decreased tire tread wear)

Nobody gets outta here ALIVE

• You guys are the best... Honestly Phil, if it meant seeing @funinthesun every year in Kerrville, I'd do it without hesitation! :thumbsup:

Hope you are feeling better sir! I'm buying you lunch this year in Kerrville... No ifs, ands, or buts!

Unless it's this one!

That one might supercede your lunch... :P

• Must be because you're driving it causing wear. Stop driving or quit using the brakes! Your choice...
    How many miles are on those rotors and have the pads been changed? Different brake pad compounds may cause more wear than others. Also, use in a dry climate may cause faster wear due to dust build-up without the advantage of self-cleansing as in a wet environment.

57,000 miles and mine is not hurt