Brake Light Switch

• Started a few days back, but everytime I use the SS and go about 10 miles or less the brake light idiot light on the dash comes on. I do not have cruise control when it happens, but the brake lights are working normally and not stuck on. Can anyone verify if the fix below is for this issue as I may have read somewhere this was a fix for the squiggly idiot light not the brake light.

Any help would be appreciated as I try not to use my dealer as they are pretty useless.

Brake Switch replacement with NAPA Switch

Apr 29th 2016+8
    Haven't heard much about this problem any more and not sure why, but originally hooking up a trailer harness usually would knock the magnetic brake switch out of commission. I replaced mine over a year ago and have never had an issue. If you want to or need to do this, this is how I did it.

First the bracket I made to mount the Napa plunder style brake switch (SL169. The plug has NAPA part # 725175). I used steel, but aluminum would work. Got a matching GM connector from Napa as well to plug into where the original switch did. No cutting and easy to swap back. Not to hard to figure out where to make the bend to catch the top end of the brake lever to make it work. Final step was larger heat shrink to protect the switch from any water that might be able to get to it. Have not had any problems with it in over 5000 miles.

• Call them and tell them the problem....they might have to order the sensors because almost everyone has had them replaced at least once...

This statement is inaccurate. Some people on the forum have had theirs done. I have not and I'm sure plenty others have not either. Bigdog likes to over dramatize things on this forum rather often.

When life knocks you down, calmly get back up, smile, and very politely say, "Is that all you've got?

• What about the people that have had it done more than once? Evens out...

Point being the dealer might have to order the parts and he should give them a heads up Incase they do....

Not likely. Also most dealerships will not order parts on a customer giving them a heads up. They usually do this thing called a "diagnosis" first. X/

When life knocks you down, calmly get back up, smile, and very politely say, "Is that all you've got?

• mine has done this on and off from about the second month I owned it. it has actually gotten better with time. Now the only time it happens is if I have to stop suddenly. if this happens the light will come on and stay on until I turn the ignition off and restart. Sometimes I can go days of riding without the light coming on just so long as I dont have to suddenly stop faster than is normally required. One of these days if I have to drive the hour to the dealer for something else I will get it looked at, but its not something I am overly worried about

After all its not like its some catastrophic break failure - its just a stupid bad switch

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• mine has done this on and off from about the second month I owned it. it has actually gotten better with time. Now the only time it happens is if I have to stop suddenly. if this happens the light will come on and stay on until I turn the ignition off and restart. Sometimes I can go days of riding without the light coming on just so long as I dont have to suddenly stop faster than is normally required. One of these days if I have to drive the hour to the dealer for something else I will get it looked at, but its not something I am overly worried about

After all its not like its some catastrophic break failure - its just a stupid bad switch

As soon as my Sling started doing that I went ahead and changed out to the NAPA switch. I have never had a problem since.

Mine were doing the same thing, and I had to wait a couple of months till the recall to have them done properly, but in the mean time I had to ride with the light on and no cruise. The cruise wasn't a problem, have never used it, but the light, another story. I'm just a tad OCD and the light bothered me so I put a little piece of black electrical tape over it. No light, no problem till it was replaced.

Life is simple ... you're either "Qualified or you're Not'