School Shootings

• Apparently for USA Today explosives and guns count as "less lethal" than an AR-15.

USA Today Praises School Shooter's Use Of 'Less Lethal Weapons' To Kill 10 - Blue Lives Matter

@sideseatdriver thanks for posting..I disliked not because you posted but because of the content of the USA Today article. I wish that I could take the author of the article to a firing range to help them see the error of printing that rubbish. In a school, at close range, a shotgun could be the most lethal weapon a shooter could ever need versus any semi-AR. Along with the chosen side arm of the student...it wasn't worse perhaps because of experience with the firearms? Perhaps that would should have been stated versus the "less lethal".

@Bill Martin if I am correct I believe Texas can hold parents criminally negligent when they do not secure firearms and they are used in this manner. I've watched the local DA's file cases within the last year in similar situations. I'm not sure of the outcome..if they were pleaded down, dismissed or a slam dunk! It does make responsible firearm owners with minor children in the home really secure and account for all their firearms.

I know this may be a bit off topic but here goes. When I was a child/teenager, I knew where my parents kept their pistols, shotguns, long rifles and ammunition. Sure there were some down days as a teen but I never entertained the idea of grabbing a firearm and going after a room of classmates for revenge. My mom would always insist that I live by the Golden Rule and I did. She said for those who did not, God had a way of turning the tables when they least expected--God and time were equalizers. The idea of taking "a" life in war requires one to think as you travel in the plane heading to your destination...you think about your oath to your country, you think that the person in front of you will be trying to take your life, so it is a must that you make a decision to protect your life, your battle buddies life, your company..so that you can all return home. HOW??? HOW??? CAN A TEENAGER get to the point of making this kind of decision??? Life is so fragile, precious and has so many secrets yet to be revealed. Killing anyone, to include one's self could rob you of some of God's greatest gifts and plans He has in store for you and those around you--that you wish to do harm in your classrooms. I wish that I could just go from school to school and speak to every grade level of children asking them to place a higher value on life. Giving them more resources that will help them become more accountable for their own actions. I don't want to help them make excuses--EMPOWER THEM TO ACCEPT THEIR CHOICES GOOD OR BAD, TO LEARN THAT ALL DECISIONS CARRY WEIGHT, SOME MORESO THAN OTHERS. Introduce them to God, a higher power...so that they begin to understand what grace, unconditional love, redemption and so much more is available to them. Create a bridge from the home, to the school, to the appropriate agencies. I don't want to cripple our children but build them UP! We need young men and women who are willing to accept that their actions whether good or bad have consequences. They need to understand that they will be held accountable. It's time to sound the alarm before we slip further and further to more school shooting abyss...

If you take a life..sadly your life will be taken just as quickly...it's often referred to as "justice".

Sorry for the rant! With this happening around the corner from where I grew up, where I marched through the streets for Memorial Day Parades for the local VFW as a high school kid...it really does suck

• WOW!! I still have nightmares about momma telling me “go outside and cut me a switch”. Made the mistake of bringing in a really small one - after that butt whuppin I tried really hard not to have to go cut a switch but sadly I was pretty hard headed. She finally broke me of doing stupid stuff but those lessons served me well throughout life. Kids need to learn there are consequences for their actions !!!

Like getting married?

Nobody gets outta here ALIVE

• When I was still in school we handled things so different. If we had a problem with someone you met after school and beat the shit out of each other. And went back to being friends the next day. Seems like a simpler way to solve problems.

• Would all of the kids on prescription drugs have anything to do with it? Just listen to the list of side effects these drugs have. You have all heard the commercials. Now, instead of parenting, many adults get their kids on some anti depressant drugs or ADD drugs or whatever. My question is, Why in hell would anyone give their kid an anti depressant which has a KNOWN side effect of making a person suicidal? HUH? Really?

Send lawyers, guns and money!

• Would all of the kids on prescription drugs have anything to do with it? Just listen to the list of side effects these drugs have. You have all heard the commercials. Now, instead of parenting, many adults get their kids on some anti depressant drugs or ADD drugs or whatever. My question is, Why in hell would anyone give their kid an anti depressant which has a KNOWN side effect of making a person suicidal? HUH? Really?

When I was a kid mothers were known to use valium to be able to cope with a bunch of hyper kids - heck the Stones even wrote a song about "mothers little helper". When it became clear that valium was being way over prescribed and doctors stopped handing it out like candy I do believe that instead of drugging mom in many cases we began drugging the kids. Don't get me wrong, I am sure that there are children that have very real issues that do need to be on these medications, but I also know that there are many kids being put on drugs not because they need it, but because their parents "need" it - My wife and I have three adult children and at different times when they were young we had doctors offer to medicate them so that they would be easier for us to deal with and every time we declined - kids are supposed to be hyper and full of energy and to us unless there was a real medical need it just seemed wrong. Unfortunately we seem to live in a society that thinks every problem can be solved with a pill and doesnt look far enough ahead to consider what might happen when you take the pill away

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• The problem is that it's not that easy. This is not a "single solution" problem. Ready for this?????

When was the last time you saw the media highlight and provide the same amount of coverage for something good that a student/school did? When was the last time that you saw them get all excited over something positive? Why? Because positive doesn't sell with the population. It doesn't get viewers. Think about that - what does that say about our society?

We are looking at a small, but important, part of a generation who may very well consider school shooting to be the next "Tide Pod Challenge". How many can you kill? Not because they are mentally deranged (although some will be), but because they can. I am interested to hear the driving force behind the Texas shooter, although I am going to go out on a limb and say he was bullied. We can easily create reasons to justify our actions - people have been doing it forever to meet their personal goals or to justify their beliefs.

So my question to you, hell, to the country, is how do we take these kids, and turn their need for whatever the hell this driving force is, and change it for good? How do you turn society from having a macabre thirst for the evil and turn them to focusing on the good? How do you distract the "School Shooting Challenge" into something else?

Sure, we can ban guns, although this kid used explosives too. Then they will just use knives, or poison gas, or whatever else their minds can come up with (it's a game after all). We can require mental health checks, which may or may not catch these kids. We can end bullying (yeah... that's not going to happen), but can you end a person's perception of being bullied? We can bring God back into schools, but which God would you like to address? I'm not being snarky, but choosing the wrong deity may very well push other kids over the edge. So what is next? What if we focused on the good that students are doing, and marginalized the bad?

• So now the crap is coming down that the puke that did the shootings will not face a death sentence because of some dumb ass 2005 ruling by the judicial system (probably the supreme court), not sure which. Now as it stands he will be up for parole in forty years, that four years per death, that is pure crap. I'm so pissed at our judicial system i am about to have a aneurysm. This is in my mind a great part of why we as a nation are going down a slippery slope straight to hell. And if we don't vote out all the bleeding hearts in the system we are just asking for more. I totally agree with some of the people that posted for a quick and unwavering end to this kind of crime. We have him dead to rights of the crime, that should make his death as right and swift as those that he killed. How the hell do you tell the parents of a kid that was killed that the value of their child's life is only four years?

Maybe we should round up all the liberal bleeding hearts and judges, the supreme court, that make up stupid laws, that give light sentencing to this kind of crime and put them in a class room environment and let armed screwballs walk around them for a year or so. Lets not forget that all of our government buildings where these lawmakers and judges sit is heavily guarded by armed men, take the guards off the judges and put them in the schools.

I'm so pissed I have to quit before I say something that will offend....................................

LC

• From what I have read, this kids was spurned by a girl. He aggressively perused her for some time, not taking NO for an answer. After some time of her saying NO she embarrassed him in class. She was the first person he shot then went on to shoot more kids in that class. This is what I understand from what I read. Not saying it is factual, just what I read.

• From what I have read, this kids was spurned by a girl. He aggressively perused her for some time, not taking NO for an answer. After some time of her saying NO she embarrassed him in class. She was the first person he shot then went on to shoot more kids in that class. This is what I understand from what I read. Not saying it is factual, just what I read.

POOR FREAKING BABY!!

If I killed someone every time someone made a fool out of me (hell I do a good enough job of that on my own)....there would be nobody left on the planet!!

LETS ALL FEEL SORRY FOR THE SOCIAL REJECT....NOT!!

:BLACKSS: 2016 SL LE BLACK PEARL :HEADERSS::COLDAIRSS::COILOVERSS::MOTOROILSS::OILFILTERSS:

• As far as the bullying thing IMO there have been wolves and lambs since the beginning of time and that will never stop. I know we all knew kids that were bullied in school and most all learned to cope with being timid and certainly did not pick up a gun and kill their classmates. There are many things we can hypothesize for the societal change that caused kids to start killing. Other than making it as hard to kill in our kids school as it is to kill someone in the Whitehouse this problem will persist !!

I might not be right but I can sure sound like it

• To expound on what @Bill Martin said, in my experience the kids who were bullied often went on to succeed more highly in business, careers and earnings than those who bullied. I don't know if it was a motivator or simply an indicator that those who aspired to higher levels were apt to be bullied. Either way, they rose above it with age and maturity, not by losing their shit and self-destructing, taking others out along the way.

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• Taking a life is....WRONG. Allowing the environment to exist where it may occur thinking it will work it's way out--well, we've seen the result of that lately. If we know that bullying is a problem..just stop it. It is all too easy for the weak who are bullied to pick up a gun and level the playing field these days. Not only will they kill the one, or group of people who are bullying them; they will kill those who have watched, those who allowed it to exist in their minds and innocent bystanders. If you want to exert your strength, do it on an athletic field of play. Parents who know their children are bullies are part of the problem? If they allow their child to be the bully and their child bullies a child who snaps and shoots up the school killing ten or more...well, there are so many issues to address to prevent further mass school shootings.

We definitely as a nation need to invest in prevention. Whether it's a teen spurned by a girl, bullied, failing a grade, inability to make friends--whatever the reason that triggers this horrific event needs to be addressed. We are losing perhaps the next generations brightest doctors, attorneys, engineers, actors, generals and/or president. We will never know because so many school shootings are taking place. We can all agree that safety of all children pursuing an education should be a top priority.

Kids don't know about knocking a stick off a person's shoulder lol or meeting on the RR tracks...all of these things were seen as really bad...now look at the alternative *sigh*

• Whoever came up with the "SPARE THE ROD AND SPOIL THE CHILD" crap should be the one dealing with all of this! As soon as we started thinking that disciplining our kids was wrong is when we gave the power away to control things.

SSreaper

:BLACKSS: 2016 SL LE BLACK PEARL :HEADERSS::COLDAIRSS::COILOVERSS::MOTOROILSS::OILFILTERSS:

• one thing I think makes a major difference is the ability for bullies to hide behind the internet and other electronic means of communication. When I was a kid if someone wanted to bully someone it required personal interaction that just might get their ass kicked because of this there really were not very many bullies. and everyone knew who they were. These days you can be the class wimp in the day and go home and get online and turn into a bully without any real risk.

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies