School Shootings

• So not to be the raging bitch of the group, but I should probably point out that more than a few of us are being hypocritical here. Every time there has been an officer involved shooting, we as a group say wait for the facts to come out before you make a determination. As soon as it is kids, we jump all over the cop without all the facts. Just saying that those two arguments are a bit ... contradictory... is all.

We would never consider ya the raging bitch my favorite cookie baking friend. I’m just thinking of it from a lawyer point of view. Ya got to admit it looks pretty bad for the guy possibly immediately retiring to protect his retirement as @FunCycle suggested. Then he thought the shots were coming from outside yet he never moved toward the gunfire period from what I have seen. I think what the deputy and sheriff are espousing is digging themselves a deeper hole every day. AND IMO Peterson should use some of his retirement money and get a better lawyer - very poor public statement.

I might not be right but I can sure sound like it

• We would never consider ya the raging bitch my favorite cookie baking friend. I’m just thinking of it from a lawyer point of view. Ya got to admit it looks pretty bad for the guy possibly immediately retiring to protect his retirement as @FunCycle suggested. Then he thought the shots were coming from outside yet he never moved toward the gunfire period from what I have seen. I think what the deputy and sheriff are espousing is digging themselves a deeper hole every day. AND IMO Peterson should use some of his retirement money and get a better lawyer - very poor public statement.

And you, of all people Counselor, should know that looks of a case aren't everything.

• Well my perspective is a little different and my opinions have changed over the days since the incident. I spent 30 years running to the gunfire. I am not saying that to pat myself on the back. I’m saying it because I’ve been there. When I first came on the job our training was “ hold the perimeter and wait for SWAT”. The training officers I had told me that in a perfect world that was what you would do, but if you are on the scene “ only you know what to do”. The alway showed me to go in. They never told me to, they just lead by example. All that changed after Columbine! After that we were taught to attack an active shooter. I pity the deputy or deputies that were on scene cause they will have to live with the fact that kids died because they stood down. I have seen cops eat their gun for less. Not suggesting that, just saying it will eat at them. They are going to need help

Sent from my iPad using Polaris Slingshot Info

• And you, of all people Counselor, should know that looks of a case aren't everything.

Normally I would agree but this has been placed square in the middle of the political areana and perception is everything simply because this is not a prosecutable offense. Try this on for size if I were his lawyer

My client, Deputy Scot Peterson, after many years of dedicated service to his community is deeply regretful of his inaction at the scene of this horrific tragedy. What you are not aware of Mr. Peterson has been experiencing depression and panic attacks since Donald Trump was elected President. He privately tried to battle his condition on his own but ultimately broke down under the stress of the active shooter situation and froze. Due to this traumatic experience Mr Peterson felt that he no longer could perform his duties to the best of his ability and choose to retire seeking professional help. My client is just as wounded emotionally as some of the students that were his friend and he their mentor. He needs your empathy so please give this broken man the time to heal.
    Thank you

I threw that together off the top of my head - gimme a little time and I could completely change public perception of the deputy

FREAKIN LAWYERS RIGHT :00008172:

• Ok - Imma throw this out there. The Broward County Sheriff is getting heat to step down. I know we got LEO in this discussion so are the allegations founded and should he or is this just politics looking for a scapegoat? My first thought is how can a Sheriff know exactly how every one under his command will react under fire?? Love to hear from those that are more in the know.

So I am replying to this quote Bill and did read down to the bottom of page 15. I'll keep reading after this post.
    The Sheriff is responsible for his department. He should be signing off on the policies if not writing them himself. If his policy is to wait for SWAT then he gets to answer for that.
    I think he's a total Super douche for blaming guns whatsoever! When vehicles and cell phones get banned and I don't see anything about them written in our Constitution then do it if you like, however the imbecile who try's to get mine will confront a Marine who always made expert and taught other Marines to be experts.
    I know my Fire Chief sets our departments SOG's and if anyone doesn't follow them it would be his ass because he is the Chief. Kind of thought that's how it was in a Sheriffs department. There is a Sheriff and the rest are deputies.

• Ok / got another question to throw out there - Deputy Scot Perterson’s lawyer made a statement today that Mr. Peterson was not a coward and he thought the shots were being fired OUTSIDE the school. I gotta say I think he is gonna have a real hard time selling that. If that was true then why did he retire immediately?? What y’all think???

Sounds like a legit question to me and yes Bovine Feces!

• Trust me,... in this state,... that would work. Everyone is so touchy feely and everything has to do with mental health. We had a cop get the crap kicked out of him and the defense said his client suffered from a mental heath issue. Who in their right mind would do this to a law enforcement officer :S

• This nails it. He has proven that HE is a politician first, LEO second. HE immediately threw his subordinate under the bus. Now, we have learned that there were 3 more deputies that were waiting outside. I find it hard to believe that all 4 of them were chickenshits. Even before Columbine, we were taught to go in when you had another body with you, these guys had 4 bodies. So, the next question would be whether or not these deputies were ordered to stand down, and, if so, then who gave that order? Orangeman has confirmed what I posted earlier...this guy's department has colluded with the school district to actively keep arrests of students down in order to gain Federal $$$ for the schools. This is based on an OBAMA policy. Another question is now that he has shown himself to be a political hack who will throw his deputies under the bus the first chance he gets, how can he possibly be an effective leader of those very same deputies? They sure as hell won't trust him to have their backs. Now they will be making everyday decisions based on how best to cover their own ass, not necessarily on what is right. I hope this is investigated thoroughly and I would love to hear what the 4 deputies that were waiting outside have to say.

Send lawyers, guns and money!

• Trust me,... in this state,... that would work. Everyone is so touchy feely and everything has to do with mental health. We had a cop get the crap kicked out of him and the defense said his client suffered from a mental heath issue. Who in their right mind would do this to a law enforcement officer :S

I would take a guess and say the psycho little fuck who shot the kids 10 days ago in Florida
    Once he gets a little older.

• The thing that I can't get around is everyone is a victim. I always thought that if you were directly involved, you were a victim. It seems like everyone to include the 2nd cousin who was in another state is a victim today.

• The thing that I can't get around is everyone is a victim. I always thought that if you were directly involved, you were a victim. It seems like everyone to include the 2nd cousin who was in another state is a victim today.

You didn’t get the memo - personal responsibility was repealed :00008172:

• I told myself to stay out of this. And I do not, and have not, followed the 'news'. It will not make my life any different or better.

Does anyone know if, when the guy, or guys, failed to respond, that he/they knew it was a single shooter with no training? Or is it possible that they didn't know if it was one, or multiple shooters? Could it have been thought that it was a larger, coordinated operation? I'm not able or willing to judge until I personally run into the middle of the shit with guns ablazing. I'm not sure how I would react but I can sure tell you what I'd like to believe - I'm a f-ing hero. Until I'm not. Like @Shatneyman said, 'my life is not expendable'. I know some of y'all have stepped up in this situation. Most, including myself, have not.

Nothing to see here - move along...

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• I told myself to stay out of this. And I do not, and have not, followed the 'news'. It will not make my life any different or better.

Does anyone know if, when the guy, or guys, failed to respond, that he/they knew it was a single shooter with no training? Or is it possible that they didn't know if it was one, or multiple shooters? Could it have been thought that it was a larger, coordinated operation? I'm not able or willing to judge until I personally run into the middle of the shit with guns ablazing. I'm not sure how I would react but I can sure tell you what I'd like to believe - I'm a f-ing hero. Until I'm not. Like @Shatneyman said, 'my life is not expendable'. I know some of y'all have stepped up in this situation. Most, including myself, have not.

Nothing to see here - move along...

Again I’ll agree we all like to think we would run in being a hero but really don’t know until you hear that rifle shot. I think that the issue with the deputies and sheriff have become so political who knows? For all we know the sheriff told him to retire??

• I have been in this situation, you don’t know, you never KNOW. You do as General Custer said, “March to the guns!” That’s the job

Sent from my iPad using Polaris Slingshot Info

Guys like you that have the right to comment on what they would do. However, I am a Trump supporter and unhappy with his comment. For him to say he would have run in there with no weapon is absurd IMO. Sometimes I wish he could learn to be a little more....quiet :00008172:

• For him to say he would have run in there with no weapon is absurd IMO. Sometimes I wish he could learn to be a little more....quiet

If you watch the exchange with context of the conversation, or if the MSM would report it fully with video of the entire statement, is IMO completely reasonable ...

"You don't know until you test it, but I really believe I'd run in there even if I didn't have a weapon” - President Trump 02-26-2018

You can find the same written here by many, they don't know for sure but believe they would have acted .......

..... ninja-squared

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......

• Thanks @Orangeman - you are really good at battling Fake News :thumbsup: