School Shootings

• Speaking of my bride, I want to brag about her here for a moment. She posted this publicly this morning:

"Most of y'all know that I am working on my teaching degree and have been for the last 7 weeks. Which means I was in the classroom for this last school shooting and had to have a discussion with my students the next day to talk about what happened and discuss our own safety plan. I will tell you that there is no more helpless feeling than standing in a room full of kids (high school seniors for me) and not being able to defend them. Maybe that comes from my time in the Navy where, when I was in harms way, I was given something with which to defend myself and those around me. Or maybe it comes from the experience of having a CWP/CC on my person when I am out with my family so that I might defend myself and them should the need arise. Or maybe it comes from the training I have done that attempts to simulate real life situations within a controlled environment. I have, too often probably, wondered how best to keep my students safe should a situation arise, knowing that I am unarmed. I am in the minority of the teachers I know and the ones I have seen in online discussion who wants the opportunity to carry to defend my students. Is it a perfect option? No. Do I understand why most teachers do not want more guns in school, yes. But when I look my kids in the eye and lie to them that we are doing everything we can to keep them safe, it breaks my heart. Please realize that when I am saying this, I do not mean that, should something happen, I leave my room and wander the halls searching for the problem. I am talking about defending my students in the classroom and in the immediate area of that classroom. Yes, the idea of armed teachers perturbs many parents, and rightfully so. But let me have the option of taking the proper training and volunteering to be one of the few that would accept the burden of responsibility. No, not everyone should carry. No, nobody should be forced to carry. But let us volunteer, those that choose to do so."

So proud of you, baby.

I have tears in my eyes reading this, I am sorry but no teacher or any person should have to feel so helpless in this country. I applaud her willingness to do what she has to to protect her students. I pray that @sideseatdriver or any teacher never has to be in that situation. I wish I had a solution but logic doesn't work to solve this problem. I carry and pray that I will have the courage to do what will be needed if I am ever faced with a situation that requires me to draw my weapon. My heart goes out to all police officers and pray they all get to go home to there families at the end of their shifts.

• Now I'm just talking from what my experience is... when I went for the handgun training class, I'll never forget the trainer talking about how bad a shot the police were and can't hit anything they aim at as there isn't constant training in this area (not saying if there is or not, was just something he said). Not saying he said this about all officers, but it was clear what he meant. Then that same week, there were a few news stories about police discharging their hand guns 9 times and only hitting the person twice. I don't have the stories or exact counts, just saying it was WAY more shots fired and only one or two hits. Those bullets went somewhere... and if anyone believes that teachers are going to do any better... I'm just saying that if a police officer who is stressed in a situation can't hit what they are firing at, how is a teacher going to do anywhere close to that. I'm NOT for teachers getting firearms. I'm also in agreement with the argument that if you had a bunch of teachers running around the halls with guns drawn, the police arriving aren't going to know who is the real target. I'll repeat what I said before. This kid could have been caught weeks if not months prior and that is where we need to concentrate our efforts at fixing the issue. Just my 2c.

You are only as good as you practice, it takes practice to hit what you are shooting at. The cops that shoot all the time as in hobby can hit what they shoot at at any time. At one time I was shooting around 6,000 rounds a week "believe it" I had a calus on my trigger finger so thick they could not prick for the blood sample. If you are going to be one of those teachers that carry in school, MAKE SURE YOU CAN HIT WHAT YOU ARE SHOOTING AT Practice and practice and I mean even when moving around.

• In my career I was sworn to protect and defend the constitution of the united states and obey the orders of those placed over me. This led to many situations where I was in harmes way. I too had a wife, child, mother, father, and so on. I did this freely because of a contract I signed my name on. I was paid for this for many years in service. What is the difference in my situation that I signed a contract and provided a service when called on and someone who takes pay to protect those children and does nothing.
    I would have been court marshaled, put in confinement, demoted in rank, and denied retirement benefits.
    Everyone acts different in a given situation, do I know what I would have done in his shoes? No. I hope I would have done as the coach, teacher, and students did to protect those around them. They chose to serve and protect without the compensation for it.

• In my career I was sworn to protect and defend the constitution of the united states and obey the orders of those placed over me. This led to many situations where I was in harmes way. I too had a wife, child, mother, father, and so on. I did this freely because of a contract I signed my name on. I was paid for this for many years in service. What is the difference in my situation that I signed a contract and provided a service when called on and someone who takes pay to protect those children and does nothing.
    I would have been court marshaled, put in confinement, demoted in rank, and denied retirement benefits.
    Everyone acts different in a given situation, do I know what I would have done in his shoes? No. I hope I would have done as the coach, teacher, and students did to protect those around them. They chose to serve and protect without the compensation for it.

Well said Slingrazor. In my profession I was armed and faced some "dramatic" situations. Fortunately, the issues were resolved without using the ultimate force. One can train and train and train. But until that "moment", one doesn't really know how they will react. I am not justifying what the officer did or didn't do at the time of the incident. But talking the talk is one thing. Walking the walk when the shit hits the fan is another.

And, thank you @Slingrazor for your sacrifice.

I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.

• You are only as good as you practice, it takes practice to hit what you are shooting at. The cops that shoot all the time as in hobby can hit what they shoot at at any time. At one time I was shooting around 6,000 rounds a week "believe it" I had a calus on my trigger finger so thick they could not prick for the blood sample. If you are going to be one of those teachers that carry in school, MAKE SURE YOU CAN HIT WHAT YOU ARE SHOOTING AT Practice and practice and I mean even when moving around.

100%! The problem I have is the a good number of the teachers in our schools SUCK at teaching. What makes you think they are going to do what is needed to learn how to shoot? And we supposedly have the 4th ranked school district in NY... or did at one time. And good if we get someone with the dedication that you have. A good many teachers and dare I say 99.5% won't do that. IF one did, I'm cool with it, but I do believe it takes that dedication. @'KeyTwo' sounds like Heather has her head on right, but she's also got a background with weapons. And @exharleyrider is correct... no one should feel that way. All of this was preventable before it got to that point, but if it were an issue, sure, these folks have my trust. I don't believe though that most teachers (or at least the ones my kids have had in our district) have that drive and dedication and will most likely shoot themselves or another student than take out a hostile.

:00000436:
    Success is a lousy teacher. It seduces smart people into thinking they can't lose. - Bill Gates

• Protocol is to enter and confront

With a properly trained officer, yes, Can't disagree

the first response needs to be aggressive response to the scenario

can't disagree

The job he was paid for was protecting children, he failed to do his job

your clueless about the position

If the SRO wasn't willing he shouldn't have taken the assignment.

are you going to have a full blown tactical officer as a SRO? hell no, they will scare the kids for life. A SRO is an officer who can give a little insight to the kids and build a good relations. Yes they should and I'm sure most have the latest ALICE training, or whatever training that school has. I had a deputy who was an awesome guy and loved by everyone, knew the law better then any judge, but I would never put him in a tactical situation. Just didn't have it. He would have made an amazing SRO officer. Everyone who thinks a SRO is there for armed security is 100% wrong. They are there for a resource for staff and kids, talk about rules, law and anything else on the kids minds. I know for a fact that many school do not want the SRO armed. Bet that changes now! I will agree with this, he should have stepped up and draw the attention of the shooter

• Absolutely- BOTTOM LINE - this guy was/is a mental case and shouldn’t have been able to look at a gun in a magazine let alone put his hands on one. The system broke down and failed these kids. Should have never happened IMO

I might not be right but I can sure sound like it

• With a properly trained officer, yes, Can't disagree

can't disagree

your clueless about the position

are you going to have a full blown tactical officer as a SRO? hell no, they will scare the kids for life. A SRO is an officer who can give a little insight to the kids and build a good relations. Yes they should and I'm sure most have the latest ALICE training, or whatever training that school has. I had a deputy who was an awesome guy and loved by everyone, knew the law better then any judge, but I would never put him in a tactical situation. Just didn't have it. He would have made an amazing SRO officer. Everyone who thinks a SRO is there for armed security is 100% wrong. They are there for a resource for staff and kids, talk about rules, law and anything else on the kids minds. I know for a fact that many school do not want the SRO armed. Bet that changes now! I will agree with this, he should have stepped up and draw the attention of the shooter

Do you think all the responding officers that went into that building were tactical officers?
    All officers are trained to respond to an active shooting. Stand back and wait for swat ended after Columbine.
    He failed those victims and should find a nice rock to hide under while he enjoys his pension checks.
    He was a deputy and he failed.

• The system broke down and failed these kids. Should have never happened IMO

You nailed it, but how do we fix it? We need to make people accountable for their actions. Stop making the shootings about the shooter. Never mention their name, never show their picture. The media makes them famous. I just don't know anymore. I did an active shooter drill a few months ago with a local school. Within 90 seconds, I could not find any student or staff member. The whole freak'n school was a ghost town. Over 200 kids and about 30 staff members gone.

• You are only as good as you practice, it takes practice to hit what you are shooting at. The cops that shoot all the time as in hobby can hit what they shoot at at any time. At one time I was shooting around 6,000 rounds a week "believe it" I had a calus on my trigger finger so thick they could not prick for the blood sample. If you are going to be one of those teachers that carry in school, MAKE SURE YOU CAN HIT WHAT YOU ARE SHOOTING AT Practice and practice and I mean even when moving around.

I wont carry any firearm until I have practiced and shot hundreds of rounds through the weapon. I have to feel extremely comfortable with that weapon before I will carry it concealed. I owe that to everyone I meet and myself. I have to have confidence in the firearm and myself or it stays in the range bag .

• Do you think all the responding officers that went into that building were tactical officers?

Do your research, you might be surprised. The key word there is responding officers. Who's responding and to where?

All officers are trained to respond to an active shooting.

Do your research, you will find not all officers are trained for active shooters. At best, most have had a 2 hour classroom only setting

• Do your research, you might be surprised. The key word there is responding officers. Who's responding and to where?

Do your research, you will find not all officers are trained for active shooters. At best, most have had a 2 hour classroom only setting

I guess some departments are setting their officers up for failure. My department and every department in my area train yearly for active shooter, with simunitions (force on force). You must be looking at some incredibly backwards departments.

• I guess some departments are setting their officers up for failure. My department and every department in my area train yearly for active shooter, with simunitions (force on force). You must be looking at some incredibly backwards departments.

Let's just back off the rhetoric here a bit, fellas. I posted the original link and kinda started this thing up, knew it would get some traction, but didnt want it to devolve into emotional parry-and-thrust.

@Red and @Shatneyman are both LE, as are several others, and then you have jackholes like me who just have strong opinions based on a variety of experiences. We're not always gonna agree, but let's keep the intensity at manageable levels, ok?