School Shootings

• Well - other than us getting to vent @FunCycle is right - some really well made points throughout this thread but no revelations so things will die down in a few days until nothing....until it happens again. I think the single major agreement as to the problem is to how our young people are being raised. Granted most of us did not grow up in this “social media” age and I for one am just beginning to see what a problem it is becoming. I can’t imagine myself or any of my buddies back in the day eating Tide pods for any reason but these kids today do it because they believe it will make them famous. It appears to me that if you could legislate parenting that would go much further than legislating more gun control - too bad neither of these options are reasonable fixes to this huge problem.

I might not be right but I can sure sound like it

• Perhaps we should ask why now? What has changed in our schools in the past 20-30+ years. My wife is a teacher - I can bend your ear on what has changed. It all started when little Johnny said 2+2 = 9 and the school system said " good for you Johnny!" Nice try! Wouldn't want to step on his self esteem now would we? Whatever you want little Johnny - it's all good. Sass the teacher - no problem. Show up late - personal choice. And on and on.... Not trying to be the "old school" guy here but truly, ask yourself, what has changed? A lot.

When I was in grade school some 50 years ago there were no shortage of guns. They were in the living room or family room in a glass case with ammo in the drawers below - sometimes locked - usually not. No shootings at schools then with plenty of opportunity. We don't have to reinvent the wheel here - the answers are closer than you think.

And one last thing - there IS evil in the world - always will be. And this was pure evil.

Rant done......

We’ll get there when we get there and not a minute before. 😎

• Really Bill, how does that explain Vegas, or has that been forgotten already?

There is really no explanation for that maniac. I think if you look the majority of these school shootings they are young troubled males. We are all just speculating here because there is no way to explain or justify anybody massacring as many innocent people as they can. But in answer to your question - yes Vegas is pretty much forgotten just like this shooting will be in a couple weeks. Things will rock along until it happens again. Been laying here in hospital watching all the “experts” and they have not come up with one better idea than what has been voiced here. The one thing that cannot be disputed / it is near impossible to stop anyone hellbent on evil in a free society!!

• Really Bill, how does that explain Vegas, or has that been forgotten already?

In Bill's defense... This thread is "school" shootings...

But I'm with you, mass shootings are just too commonplace now and I fear I am becoming desensitized... And that's a damn shame... :thumbdown:

EDIT: Bill needs no defense, he's quick to come in... Objection withdrawn! :D

• In Bill's defense... This thread is "school" shootings...
    But I'm with you, mass shootings are just too commonplace now and I fear I am becoming desensitized... And that's a damn shame... :thumbdown:

EDIT: Bill needs no defense, he's quick to come in... Objection withdrawn! :D

My rule of thumb

• How do we expect background checks to stop people with mental issues when that info isn't available due to HIPAA?

I keep hearing that some people may need to give up some rights to make it safer for children.

What if it's the right to privacy?

• I keep hearing that some people may need to give up some rights to make it safer for children.

Quite frankly (and this may not be the popular opinion here) I dont necessarily think that's the right tack to take. I think the "We need to do anything it takes, if it just saves one child" is a slippery slope and the liberals who employ it do so cynically, knowing the pull of those words on the average person, and intending to take full advantage.

• How bout secure the schools??? The libs say they don’t want schools to be like prisons. Well nobody likes being treated like a criminal at the airport but threats change and evolve. If you want security you can’t have it both ways. Gun Free Zones are ridiculous IMO

• Do you want to hear an unprecedented and singular hypothesis? Let's say you're a die-hard and unmovable anti-firearm advocate. What do you do to override the second amendment and prevalent firearm ownership in America? It can't be done, right? What if you advocated and/or committed atrocious actions against the most vulnerable segments of society to promote your cause? Specifically, large concentrations of celebrating people (Las Vegas) and the so-called 'safe-zones' otherwise know as schools - where our children go to be educated. There is no better way to get public sentiment on your side. No one would do such a thing you say? Then no one would bomb an abortion clinic to protect life. No army would sacrifice a platoon to protect a regiment. Sacrifice the few to protect the many is the concept I'm discussing and I FIRMLY believe that these are not unconnected incidents committed exclusively by mentally unstable individuals. I believe that there is a larger force at work and it's working to eliminate YOUR rights. There are no rules, and the sole purpose is to disarm the populace. How's that for a conspiracy theory?

Give up nothing if you believe in your rights. Stand on your own. Period.

SlingLow out!

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• I'm entering my third decade in law enforcement an my fifth decade as a human being. In my town, teachers are armed. I sat on the safety committee that made the recommendation to authorize this. It answers this question, and until there is another solution, it works. What happens between the time the first round is fired... and law enforcement arrives. Our average response time is 7.5 minutes, how many could die during that time?

We see it not a solution to prevent, but to help mitigate loss of life by stopping the shooter as soon as possible.

Sign at TX School: 'Teachers Armed, Can Use Any Force Necessary' | Fox News Insider. Search and watch the interview our ISD Police Chief Paul Cairney.

Mental health issues are out of control and have only gotten worse over the last 25 years. How to people on psychotropic drugs purchase firearms?.... Well, mental health issues are not a crime. Criminal convictions show up in the NICS data bases ,not your prescription drug history.

Do the rights of the individual outweigh the rights of the many? You cannot have it both ways.

I have my guns, buy them or not, its your choice, but don't try to take mine. I don't come and take your stuff.

Lastly... no one blames the gun when a law enforcement officer shoots someone. Think on that one.

Alpha Supercharger is still spinning fine... it gets rode hard, every time.

• I'm entering my third decade in law enforcement an my fifth decade as a human being. In my town, teachers are armed. I sat on the safety committee that made the recommendation to authorize this. It answers this question, and until there is another solution, it works. What happens between the time the first round is fired... and law enforcement arrives. Our average response time is 7.5 minutes, how many could die during that time?

We see it not a solution to prevent, but to help mitigate loss of life by stopping the shooter as soon as possible.

Sign at TX School: 'Teachers Armed, Can Use Any Force Necessary' | Fox News Insider. Search and watch the interview our ISD Police Chief Paul Cairney.

@sideseatdriver - dovetails nicely with our discussion first thing this morning.

• Having been associated with law enforcement folks for 30+ years I gotta tell ya I don’t know how you guys do it - especially in today’s environment!!! Murders of police officers continuously on the rise, no respect, no support until President Trump arrived are just a small portion of what LEO has to endure. I knew many years ago I did not have the temperament for it. The headline for me would read “Officer Spit On - Empties Clip into Spitter”. My hat is off to anybody that wears a badge. So we trust our teachers with our most precious commodity / our kids. Why not arm all teachers that want it to the hilt along with the training to go along with the gun so the next animal that tries to slaughter our kids only gets 1 or 2 instead of 17?? You can’t completely stop evil - I don’t care what the plan is

• How do we expect background checks to stop people with mental issues when that info isn't available due to HIPAA?

I keep hearing that some people may need to give up some rights to make it safer for children.

What if it's the right to privacy?

Benjamin Franklin once said: "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

We’ll get there when we get there and not a minute before. 😎

• Quite frankly (and this may not be the popular opinion here) I dont necessarily think that's the right tack to take. I think the "We need to do anything it takes, if it just saves one child" is a slippery slope and the liberals who employ it do so cynically, knowing the pull of those words on the average person, and intending to take full advantage.

NO, that is the first step in giving up your rights! Enforce the laws that we have as I have already said.