School Shootings

• My friends we can all look for answers to this and will find one common denominator. Many of you know me I'm no angel, but i was raised with God in my heart and its been many many years since Ive spoken to HIM but when you forget his voice or grow up in a generation that has done its best to eliminate HIM from our lives........well evil prevails
    No one wakes up wanting to die...no parent starts their day wanting to lose a child. It is another sad day for this generation.

Live long and prosper!

• LOL... or how about Dad coming home after being gone and asking you "do you have something to tell me?" First thing you ask yourself is "does he know"... second thing... "Do I tell him"... third, "I'm going to get my ass beat either way, so what the hell, it's going to be worse if I don't tell him" LOL

:00000436:
    Success is a lousy teacher. It seduces smart people into thinking they can't lose. - Bill Gates

• This is very sad, again this kind of even happening in US.

I think US people needs to start a long hard look at what kind of society its promoting and bringing up.

There is a reason why this is now a regular occurence in US and not in Canada or other civil countries.

Not trying to start a Canada vs US debate, gun control debates, etc, but the fact just is that society in US is very military proud. Entrenched in the self sacrifice of soldiers going to wage wars, of the impression of liberty, gun owning and use and pride in this.

While a gun laying in a drawer won’t kill someone, there is an underlying reason why it’s now so common to see mass shootings on the news.

There is a despair in the country, a subtile hate and division of the population. We see this even more since the election of Trump. Now I am NOT saying he’s responsible for a mass shooting, but I DO think that the fact a man like Trump can get elected with the kind of talk he has and attitude he promotes speaks about where Americans are at in their collective minds.

For someone to have access to a gun, and feel this much despair in himself to start shooting into a crowd like we saw in Vegas, Orlando and all these spots around the US, questions need to be asked that go beyond « should we control guns or not ». Way beyond.

One thing for sure, more guns is not the answer. Violence brings more violence. The answer lies in treating the underlying cause of the action, not the tool.

Vi Engineered Turbo (V-Mount)
    Forged LE9
    DDM Works Fuel Rail
    RRR Oil Catchcan
    UPLOK + UPGUARD
    Assault Hub / Steering wheel
    DDM Works short shifter
    PRP Shifter Boot
    Cipher Race Seats and 4 point harness
    XO Luxury Verona 20x12 Toyo R888 315/35r20, 19x9.5 Toyo R888 265/35R19
    and more...

• Canada Mike,
    I take it you Canadians have LAWS up there.
    And since a LAW is a LAW, and it is AGAINST THE LAW to break a LAW, then why do you have Police and Constables and jails and prisons?
    It can't be because people BREAK THE LAW anyway.

We have LAWS saying who can and can't have possession of a gun, where that gun can be carried, how it can be carried, and where it is AGAINST the LAW to be carried, AT ANY TIME.
    Besides, A School is a "gun free zone" and a "safe zone". Hell, even the school resource officers don't carry guns there.
    So i'm sure the shooter felt safe there since it was full of law abiding people and "gun free".
    I bet every one of those grieving parents wished that every one of the teachers had gun training and the right to possess a gun to protect the students right now.
    And besides a gun is an inanimate object, incapable of doing anything on its own. So it is not the guns fault, the laws fault, or the Constitutions fault.
    It is the fault of the individual that pulled the trigger and the parents that failed to educate the shooter with the proper upbringing.
    And the fault of every pansy assed snowflake liberal democrat that demands kids be coddled and not disciplined, that every kid be given a participation trophy and told o one ever wins and no one ever loses.

• @iNewton

I will respectfully disagree.

BTW: This was in Canada

Shooting[edit]
    The incident began when 16-year-old Michael Slobodian[1] brought two rifles to school in a guitar case.[2] Slobodian began firing in a boys' washroom.[3] Slobodian first killed fellow student John Slinger in the washroom and wounded two others. He then entered the hallway and continued shooting, wounding several students. He proceeded to an art classroom, killed English teacher Margaret Wright and wounded two more students. After, he went back into the hallway and killed himself, adjacent to the art classroom. The total number of fatalities were 3. The total wounded were 13.[4] Witnesses of the shooting included students Cathy and Nancy Davis, the daughters of Ontario Premier William Davis. Another witness of the shooting was future The Kids in the Hall star, Scott Thompson who was a classmate and acquaintance of Slobodian. Slobodian wrote a note to his family saying he was "fed up with life" and "he was going to eliminate two teachers" (including Mrs. Wright). He wanted to get revenge because he hated the school system.[4]

Tim "Ghost" Ganey
    Winfield, Alabama
    205spam412spam2868

• We the people are easier to control when we ARN'T united. If we are united, we stand strong. Our government doesn't want that. It's all about money and control. Even when it comes down to gun control. No matter how much it makes sense (to a degree), it takes money out of the hands of large corporations and while we have congress with their hands in the till, it's not going to get better. We need to stand together and do what makes sense for our kids... for our society... for our country.

Success is a lousy teacher. It seduces smart people into thinking they can't lose. - Bill Gates

• It is heartbreaking to see the faces of these terrified kids, being reunited with their terrified parents- You could just read newly initiated "helicopter Parent" on their faces. Even getting over the trauma of the attack- these kids have a huge hurdle in front of them.............
    If not Marines- I am all for teachers, Admin, etc voluntarily getting:
    1. Background search (thorough)
    2. Psych eval. (also thorough)
    3. Firearm training, followed by SWAT training, followed by certification
    4. Carrying a gun

• Ladies and Gentlemen,

Let's remember why this forum is here and what we all have in common. Civil discourse and gentlemanly disagreements are all good, but this topic has a lot of emotion and fervent beliefs tied up in it, and has potential to get ugly quickly. Most of you know my leanings and perspectives, and I disagree with some of what has been written here, but I am choosing not to respond to a couple posts because I have strong feelings and sometimes choose my words poorly, and I understand too well how quickly this can get out of hand.

Let's maintain some mutual respect and understanding, please, and refrain from personal attacks, or overly sensitive responses to things that seem like personal attacks that may not actually be. I don't want to see people driven away from this forum fellowship due to an uncivil discourse not related to Slingshots.

That is all, carry on.

• @iNewton not to be argumentative but, as usual, I’m sure we will find that this animal obtained this firearm thru legal process. The amount of guns in Canada or the US is not the problem and it seems we cannot pinpoint what is. If this guy had pulled the fire alarm then pulled a machete out just how many terrified kids could he have hacked to death before being stopped. What ya gonna do then - register machetes ???? The problem IMO is either mental or societal.

PS I started this thread to vent and to hear other folk’s opinion on this matter. I have been on this forum since day one and had absolutely no reservations that the folks on this forum can discuss hot button issues with being able to refrain from personal attacks. I went back and reread from the beginning and believe I made the right call - well done gentlemen!!

PS. IMO when you sink to personal attacks your argument has run out of substance or you lack the mental ability to prove your point!!

I might not be right but I can sure sound like it

Edited once, last by Bill Martin ().

• @Ghost

No country is immune 100% to events like this from happening. Not Canada either. Always sad events. But the question is, why is it more and more common to happen in US vs Canada. Both countries are similar in the type of individuals that make up their citizen, but we don’t see this kind of violence here, not on such a day to day basis, not just with schools, but also with our police etc.

Again, Canada is not perfect, amd of course, we also have had events of mass shootings and murders and police brutality, but its not even close.

Yet our young kids are exposed to about the same toys, tv shows, education, religion etc.

What causes that difference? This is a reflection that is more important than what kind of gun do we need to ban or control.

And its ok if you don’t agree, its not personal, its my opinion and my view of this situation, which you are free to disagree with.

Vi Engineered Turbo (V-Mount)
    Forged LE9
    DDM Works Fuel Rail
    RRR Oil Catchcan
    UPLOK + UPGUARD
    Assault Hub / Steering wheel
    DDM Works short shifter
    PRP Shifter Boot
    Cipher Race Seats and 4 point harness
    XO Luxury Verona 20x12 Toyo R888 315/35r20, 19x9.5 Toyo R888 265/35R19
    and more...

• I will toss out there that this topic is not an easy one to solve. You can't just say arm the teachers. Not all teachers want to be armed, not all those that want to be armed can shoot, not all those that can shoot can handle the stress of the situation, and not all that can handle the stress of the situation can do so without endangering the lives of other students. The type of training that would be required, particularly in a mass confusion circumstance like what happened today, is extensive. You can't just blame the parents or the gun or whatever. Blame accomplishes nothing. And technology is great until it doesn't work and get you killed. So even if you had a properly trained teacher carrying a gun with user technology, what happens if, in the moment of crisis, that technology fails to recognize the fingerprint? Teacher is then dead too. And lets be honest, how many schools could afford any of that?!

THERE IS NO SINGLE SOLUTION. That is what people have to realize. In almost all situations, there is a chain of events that lead up to the action, any point along the way could have prevented the action. It is not one singular failure, but many.

When I go to school every day, I look down my halls and plot how I would handle something like this. I'm sure it has crossed. @'MiM''s worst nightmares too. The issue just isn't that simple, and neither is any fix.

• It's all good @KayTwo. I actually try at all times to put myself in the shoes of the person speaking and understand where they are coming from. My views and opinions I won't excuse as they are just that... my views. The difference is my views can change and be molded if someone wants to put up an alternative argument in a respectful conversation. I think it's healthy to talk about things. The problem I see today is we can't listen to reason or understand where someone is coming from without labeling or insulting each other. My intent on this particular posting is to say there is a fix, but there are reasons why they haven't been implemented... which is sad. Hopefully at some point, we all come together and demand something be done. Only way to do that is to discuss differences in opinion and come meet in the middle. I think it's been a good conversation... I hope.

• ...THERE IS NO SINGLE SOLUTION...

100% with you on that. There is no "single" thing to do but many. We just need to figure out what those steps are. First step is involving the people who know more than I LOL.

• I know this. I graduated from high school in upstate NY in 1983. For at least two months out of the school year, (Nov-Dec), you could take a stroll through the school parking lot and count DOZENS of shotguns in vehicles. NOT ONE of those guns was ever used to shoot somebody at school. The local deer population wasn't so lucky. Today, my friends and I would all be arrested for bringing those guns to school.

Send lawyers, guns and money!

• I just get so tired of hearing "It is the guns fault" and we need to ban all guns.
    Just because 1 person used 1 gun, 1 GUN out of 350 MILLION guns, and we need to BAN ALL GUNS.
    WHY don't I hear we need to ban alcohol after a DUI crash that kills entire families, EVERY FRIGGIN DAY
    Why don't I hear we need to ban cell phones after people are killed because someone is on a phone instead of paying attention while driving, EVERY FRIGGIN DAY?
    Why don't I hear about banning junk food when people die from obesity EVERY FRIGGIN DAY
    Why don't we ban Cigarettes when people die EVERY FRIGGIN DAY from Cancer?
    Why don't we pass a law requiring every one be wrapped in bubble wrap to protect them from injury while walking because they MIGHT trip and fall down?
    AND........Why don't I hear about the UK banning cars and trucks in the country because terrorists use them to kill dozens and dozens of people?

In all these countries that have banned guns from their citizens, WHY ARE THE POLICE STILL ARMED?

Stop blaming the object and blame the person who uses the object in a way and for a use that it was not designed for.

You can not pass enough laws to make everyone safe if everyone does not follow the law.

Rant over.......I'm out