One of those days (updated with pictures) - "exploded" angle drive

• The sling went in for a new power steering box on Wed last week. Went to pick it up Friday and the traction control light came on as soon as I left the dealer. They tried to adjust the sensor behind the steering wheel with no luck and said I can keep it for the weekend or bring it back Monday so they can look at it.

Well, I leave with it Friday night and the steering wheel is about 1/4 off from straight when driving straight. Not a huge issue but definitely annoying. I pull apart the entire steering column and notice that the clock ring is loose. They said they didn't touch it which leads me to believe Polaris didn't tighten it down properly. When I line up the locator pins on the clock ring and the cut out in the sensor, the wheel is offset. Either the wheel must of turned or wasn't straight when they put on the new steering box. Somehow they became miss aligned. You can't just correct it by moving the steering wheel (because of the design of how everything goes together). So I just bring it back Saturday and tell them the issue and that I'd like them to align everything properly and fix the traction control before I pick it up.

Just got a call from the service manager with good news / bad news........

Good news: Steering is aligned properly and tracking correctly.

Bad news: While on the 3.5 mile test loop they use, they heard a loud BANG. Turns out the angle drive exploded (his words). The case actually split. =O They sent pics to Polaris and ordered a new assembly under warranty. At least it happened while in their possession and I don't have any of my mods on it at the moment except for a different belt guard. But its disappointing that both the steering box and angle drive whet with only 1000 miles on the clock.

Oh well, could be worse. I could have been stranded in the middle of no where. Rain is forecast for the next four days and I'll at my daughter's college graduation all weekend so I wouldn't be using it for the next week anyway. I'm trying to see the positive, hopefully this is the last major failure. I want a turbo kit for it but I may just wait a year or so until I feel comfortable nothing else major goes wrong before I pull the trigger.

• Wow!!! Sorry to hear about your run of bad luck!!! Like you said, at least the angle drive blew while at the dealership. Hopefully they get you back up and running.....trouble-free quickly!!!! Keep us posted as your saga unfolds!!!!

Those who will give up essential liberty to secure a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety

2016 Slingshot SL Vin# 8855 (born in September 2015) w/ Alpha Stage 2 Turbo @ 7.5psi

• @ferragame, I thought I had done an ample amount of research on the Slingshot before making my decision. I never came across anything like this. Please, make sure to keep us all posted on the progress. Your Dealer sounds as though he has your best interest in hand. Hope that everything works out for the best.

• Those are really some amazing pictures. I have never heard of that happening before. I hope your dealer is faster than mine. They told me one week to get the parts for my headlight recall, it's now been three weeks!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. (Ben Franklin)

2002 FatBoy FLSTF
    2016 Polaris Slingshot

• have to wonder if that's a true manufacturing defect. Bad casting or bearing pressed in wrong. After 1000k finally said ... Seeeeee Yaaaa.

So sorry for the failure. As stated better with them than in your possession.

Proud supporter of S.O.G.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

:thumbsup:

Owner/operator: MeanSling LLC :thumbsup:

• Its a 2016. Purchased about a month ago.

I'm thinking I may need an alignment after all this. Closest dealer that does it is about 1.5 hrs away in downtown Philly. Not really loving the thought of getting to this dealership. I may have to drive further to find one not in Philadelphia.

• Its a 2016. Purchased about a month ago.

I'm thinking I may need an alignment after all this. Closest dealer that does it is about 1.5 hrs away in downtown Philly. Not really loving the thought of getting to this dealership. I may have to drive further to find one not in Philadelphia.

The laser alignment will make a tremendous difference in handling and tire ware.