Cleaning Question

• The tire spray is what I showed Joe in Clarksville last year while he was out in the sun wiping down all of the black plastic. I told him to watch this and just sprayed an walked away

so are you saying I should try the tire spray

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• Okay - this is the final answer from topcoat - - finally when pressed they (Tasha) say it is a "polish version of a ceramic coating"

• They make water based paint as well even in the automotive industry

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• They make water based paint as well even in the automotive industry

But, the water based paint is either acrylic or latex or it is a carrier for some sort of pigment. What is the pigment?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John
    '15 Nuc 'em 'til they glow orange
    '15 Ram 2500
    '16 Denali 289 RK
    '17 Mazda 3 HB

:ORANGESS:

SOG supporter

• But, the water based paint is either acrylic or latex or it is a carrier for some sort of pigment. What is the pigment?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As a residential painting contractor, about the time we figure out how to use the "latest & greatest" thing they come up with stuff that's totally different.

• https://www.meineke.com/blog/protect-restore-cars-paint/

According to this....anything that you put on the paint is a UV protectant....to an extent because the secret is keeping dirt and acid rain from laying on the paint causing oxidation.

So adding any protectant about every 3 months will add a protective layer.

a good sealant should last at least 6 months. nu-finish which has been around for years can last a full year and real ceramic coatings can last 5 years and longer - natural wax last 3 months. I dont think TopCoat is a true sealant that can be applied only a few times a year - I think they are counting on the user constantly reapplying it by using it as a cleaner like a quick detailer - and if this is the case then the price makes it unreasonable

Edited once, last by Edward Neal ().

• a good sealant should last at least 6 months. nu-finish which has been around for rears can last a year and real ceramic coatings can last 5 years and longer - natural wax last 3 months. I dont think TopCoat is a true sealant that can be applied only a few times a year - I think they are counting on the user constantly reapplying it by using it as a cleaner like a quick detailer - and if this is the case then the price makes it unreasonable

@Tripod
    TRIPOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tim "Ghost" Ganey
    Winfield, Alabama
    205spam412spam2868

• I think I read that the makers of top coat said...the more coats you have the better it is because it builds up.

Since I put the first coat on my pick up we have had several snow storms and I’ve been traveling on the turnpike getting road dirt and salt caked on the truck....

To get it off requires very little scrubbing either by hand or in a no touch car wash... I use a mitt by hand and I squirt it off with a small two gallon pump sprayer....it practically drys itself...

I want to pile up the coats if it’s going to keep looking like it does now.

• a good sealant should last at least 6 months. nu-finish which has been around for years can last a full year and real ceramic coatings can last 5 years and longer - natural wax last 3 months. I dont think TopCoat is a true sealant that can be applied only a few times a year - I think they are counting on the user constantly reapplying it by using it as a cleaner like a quick detailer - and if this is the case then the price makes it unreasonable

The article was recommending all painted finishes should be protected every 3 months...top coat didn’t say it..
    It’s to prevent the buildup of dirt and oxidation on the paint.

So why wouldn’t you want to do it every 3 months....if it took a year to apply a coating I would say...I think I’ll wait as long as I can. It doesn’t get much easier than top coat...spray on wipe off and buff..and admire the shine...

My 2011 pickup sat outside and was driven every winter (7 1/2 years) and my paint now looks as good or better than a new vehicle..

I’m very impressed with Top Coat.. am I crazy about the price...not really...but I’m crazy about the results...

I need to get another coat on my SS and my van, and two coats on my other van...

• And now you have highlighted why I wont use topcoat again. think about this - you have pointed out that any coating protects against UV, you now point out that that every three months or more is best,

so lets think about this - if being a long lasting sealant isnt what we are getting and applying frequently and even using regularly as a quick cleanup is what we are doing

why would I pay $60 for 16oz of TopCoat when I can get 24oz of Lucas Slick Mist speed wax for $7.50?

My Slingshot is sealed with Meguiar's Ultimate synthetic wax so I do have protection that I know will last 6 months or longer and I use the Slick Mist at least every weekend and the Slingshot always shines

I liked the TopCoat - like you said the dirt didnt stick and it shined and the water beaded, but having uses both I have found that the Lucas also does all of those things just as well if not better

so if the TopCoat isnt giving me something more like long lasting protection or if I am going to apply frequently where lasting 6 months or more is not a concern then why would I spend the extra cost for the TopCoat?

Edited once, last by Edward Neal ().

• You didn’t read the article....

TOP COAT didn't say (claim) it only lasts 3 months...

The obviously UNREAD article said ALL paint should be coated every 3 months on average....nothing to do with Top Coat...

The article wasn't about Top Coat. It was about automotive paints and coatings in general....offering some uv protection...

The bottom line is not allowing dirt and oxidation from taking hold of the paint surface...

Now maybe I won’t waste the Top Coat on the black plastic and just use something cheaper.

But I use Top Coat on the windows too...acts like Rain X...and it’s less work...

• Like I said, TopCoat seemed to me to work great - the slingshot shined, it beaded water and was easy to clean

I just didn't find anything it did that the Lucas Slick Mist didnt also do just as well

Perhaps you can help me - - - what have you found that TopCoat does for you that makes you willing to pay 5 times more for it?

what makes it special?

Seriously if we are going to pay that much more for it than we would pay for other products shouldn't it do something those other products cant do?

Cleaning, shining, repelling water and repelling dirt - - I tested it for all of these and it didnt do any better than the Slick Mist - I really wanted it to because I didnt want to feel that I wasted my money, but in the end even if they had cost the same there were things I felt the Slick Mist did better

So what is left? that makes it worth it?

Will you buy it again?

• Well, this worked for me, I took 1 part woollite and 2 parts water, mixed them in a spray bottle and sprayed my seats. I used a small scrub brush and then just wiped with a clean rag. WOW, were my seats dirty. It might not show in the picture, but the driver side seat is the dirty seat. I showed it to my wife and she could not believe it. Now to just treat them with a protectant. :thumbsup: