Slingshots Uncorked II (Fri, Apr 13th 2018, 12:00pm - Sun, Apr 15th 2018, 3:00pm)

Date

Slingshots Uncorked II

Fri, Apr 13th 2018, 11:00 am - Sun, Apr 15th 2018, 2:00 pm

103 2nd St, Clarksville, VA 23927

Participants

16 participants, 45 undecided and 0 do not participate

Closing Date: Apr 13th 2018, 11:00 am
  • I am going to run new wire from the battery, the wiring harness that I ordered for the horn is a plug n play type so all I have to do is connect it. the only problem that I have right now is trying to find the right connections from the steering column to the horn. my fear of tearing that apart is the only thing holding me back right now lol. and as for the seat, I went out to the beast and found that much to my dismay I must have been dyslexic that day as the passenger seat doesn't have an adjuster lol. so that solved much of my own questioning lol. anyway. thanks for the help so far. I am sure I will have a ton more questions coming. :BLACKSS:

• What kind of horn is it? Installing the horn should be pretty easy. Let us know if you need some install tips

i am installing the Stebel mini air horn. it comes with the 40 amp relay and I have the plug n play wiring harness for it. The only thing that concerns me with it now is the correct wires out of the steering column to the horn. :BLACKSS:

• i am installing the Stebel mini air horn. it comes with the 40 amp relay and I have the plug n play wiring harness for it. The only thing that concerns me with it now is the correct wires out of the steering column to the horn. :BLACKSS:

You can tie into the stock wiring harness up by the headlamps to actuate the relay (this way you won't have to mess with the wiring in the steering column). Also, a 40amp is a bit much for a horn that small. I would get a 30amp relay and run a 20amp fuse.

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you...
    Signature.png

• sounds good, I was just installing what came in the packaging lol. question for you then, it says in the manual that the stock for the slingshot is 20 amps. and the stebel nautilus air horn draws 18 amps. so I should be ok without having to change anything right? or should I still install a completely different system?

• sounds good, I was just installing what came in the packaging lol. question for you then, it says in the manual that the stock for the slingshot is 20 amps. and the stebel nautilus air horn draws 18 amps. so I should be ok without having to change anything right? or should I still install a completely different system?

You'll want a separate relay with thicker gauge wire feeding the power loop... the stock harness, while technically capable, is really not suited to feed the horn with sustained power (they'll be a good bit of voltage drop if you do).

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you...
    Signature.png

• You'll want a separate relay with thicker gauge wire feeding the power loop... the stock harness, while technically capable, is really not suited to feed the horn with sustained power (they'll be a good bit of voltage drop if you do).

Just run the old horn feed wire to control the relay and a separate power feed (FUSED) from the battery thru the relay to the new horn. If you do not understand that you had better let someone else do the hook-up.

• that is easy and I got it, but I would be putting a new relay into the mix. does that matter? putting a new fused connection to the battery is simple.

It just happens to be the easy way to do it without getting into any rewiring. As to the extra relay that would only matter to someone trying to trouble shoot without knowing there were 2 relays

• ahhh ok, I just wanted to make sure that the 2nd relay wouldn't set off any engine codes. as long as it doesn't interfere with anything then I will do it that way. thanks. oh would you also know which optima battery that everyone is using? I keep looking and the majority of them sold around here are all too large to fit. trying to find the one that everyone is using because there are many different models of yellow top battery

• ahhh ok, I just wanted to make sure that the 2nd relay wouldn't set off any engine codes. as long as it doesn't interfere with anything then I will do it that way. thanks. oh would you also know which optima battery that everyone is using? I keep looking and the majority of them sold around here are all too large to fit. trying to find the one that everyone is using because there are many different models of yellow top battery

They say the Group 34, but I tried that last week, It would not work, the battery (10 inch long) would have been sitting on the Welter exhaust pipe. So I used the stock size Group 26 (8 inch long) lead acid

• awesome, I will go to advance auto this evening to see if they have it in stock. I want to get this done along with the horn at the same time so that I am not having to hook and unhook multiple times.

I have the 2015 and I do not know which year model SlingShot that you have the later years used a smaller battery.

• I have the 2015 and I do not know which year model SlingShot that you have the later years used a smaller battery.

Mine is a 2017 and from what I can see it is really small lol. it looks almost like a standard motorcycle battery lol. ok kidding it is only a little bigger but not much.

here is another question for you. . . . . . . . I found a tire and wheel set with the proper offset and everything, made especially for the slingshot, 20 front, 22 rear, the cost is $1599 for the set. . . . . . is this too much or does it sound like a good deal?

• Mine is a 2017 and from what I can see it is really small lol. it looks almost like a standard motorcycle battery lol. ok kidding it is only a little bigger but not much.
    here is another question for you. . . . . . . . I found a tire and wheel set with the proper offset and everything, made especially for the slingshot, 20 front, 22 rear, the cost is $1599 for the set. . . . . . is this too much or does it sound like a good deal?

I do not do rims or know the prices, all of them are to high price for me. I just look for the best traction. Try using the search function, there are a few tire and rim threads and they might help you out.