Really good video on turbo and superchargers

• Thanks @rabtech

I had an off question as someone on another board brought it up. What's the story about nitrous? I saw someone make the comment that the turbo and superchargers are harder on the engines than nitrous, but I don't know much about it. Anyone use it?

Nitrous System for Slingshot

:00000436:
    Success is a lousy teacher. It seduces smart people into thinking they can't lose. - Bill Gates

• You didn't ask me but as always I do have an opinion.

A small shot of nitrous "Correctly Tuned" is not likely to do any damage. The huge key there is correctly tuned.

Nitrous is nothing more than a turbo in a bottle or as some would say a broke mans blower.

I personally believe it is easier to tune for a full time supercharger or turbocharger than it is for part time nitrous.

I ran my share of nitrous back in the days before there was such a thing as nitrous controllers. The only control we had was a low pressure switch that would shut it off it we didn't have enough aux.fuel pressure to support it.

My limited experience with superchargers of that era was with the 14-71 Mooneyham and Littlefield's that we ran on the Top Alchol F/C back then.

Fast forward almost 3 decades and now it seems like everyone's lawn mower is coming from the factory with either a SC or TC but I haven't seen any of them come with factory nitrous set ups. They may have but I haven't seen it!

Tim "Ghost" Ganey
    Winfield, Alabama
    205spam412spam2868

• Thanks @‘ghost’! So now I’d ask if it’s better to go with a 300hp Honda engine with a Haltech system than spending for a turbo to get stock over 300hp? Just some concepts I’ve been thinking about and thinking about things from all angles.

Sent from my iPhone using Polaris Slingshot Forum mobile app

:00000436:
    Success is a lousy teacher. It seduces smart people into thinking they can't lose. - Bill Gates

• I have to say having had 1st a turbo and now a SC I have to agree with him that for me personally - the SC is way more fun to drive. I’ll always be indebted to @Slingrazor for gently SHOVING me toward the SC :00008172:

I might not be right but I can sure sound like it

• I have to say having had 1st a turbo and now a SC I have to agree with him that for me personally - the SC is way more fun to drive. I’ll always be indebted to @Slingrazor for gently SHOVING me toward the SC :00008172:

Well now I guess I owe you a very heart warming "Thank You" for providing me with the great honor of removing it 6 times and installing it 5 times. The last removal was my favorite

• Thanks @‘ghost’! So now I’d ask if it’s better to go with a 300hp Honda engine with a Haltech system than spending for a turbo to get stock over 300hp? Just some concepts I’ve been thinking about and thinking about things from all angles.

Sent from my iPhone using Polaris Slingshot Forum mobile app

I would not even suggest what someone else should go with but I can tell you what I went with and why.

I ordered my DDMWorks SC immediately after ordering my SS. I had talked at length multiple times with two people that live about 20 miles South of me that have them on their slings. They have had them on there for some time and haven't had any problems out of them and they assured me that they were easy to install.

Next @rabtech came over to visit one Sunday afternoon and took my wife and I for a spin on his SS. While it was VERY impressive I decided that I didn't need that much HP and didn't want to build a special motor which brings me to my next comment. It is my personal opinion that if you intend to take the motor above 300hp and expect it to live up to HARD driving then it would be a good idea to at least beef up the bottom end no matter which brand you use.

I know that I could have put a smaller TC on and had the same peak HP that I am getting with the SC but driving style played a big part in my decision as well. I read everything that I could find on TC vs SC given eaqual hp/tq and the biggest difference that I could see was where and when the boost was available. That and also the fact the TC can under some circumstances back heat up into the engine. In that regard it would seem to me that long term the SC would actually be a little less stressful on the engine.

Speaking of HP? I did not set out to break any HP records in the SS world but I did want enough to be able to pull a decent hill. Down the road from me there is a guy by the name of Hill and every time I'd go to pass by his mail box in the stock SS I'd have to drop two gears just to pull by it! LOL Seriously though I did want enough power to go up an incline without worrying about having to gear down and also enough to make a safe quick pass on these two lane roads we have around here.

I'm still learning my SS and learning to ride it with the SC installed. I am pleased with the power and pleased with the fact that I no longer have to consider weight as a factor when I want to add anything to the SS whether it be in the passenger seat or otherwise! LOL Yeah, my gal has curves, not sure what she weighs but 295lbs might be conservative! LMAO jkjk

It all boils down to what you want it to do and for how long. If you expect to compete with @StickerDick or @rabtech you better be built to the hilt and pack a big lunch cause it's going to be a long day!

Tim "Ghost" Ganey
    Winfield, Alabama
    205spam412spam2868

• I think you have to decide what your end goal is power wise, then decide how you want that power delivery to feel. Its pretty much personal preference. Turbo and Supercharged power delivery feel very different from each other. I personally like the power delivery of a turbo over a supercharger, the lag then rush of power is a fun driving experience.

My end goal is building the engine over the winter next year and turning up the boost, so turbo fits the bill for. The same turbo is capable of making 300hp-500hp.

• Well now I guess I owe you a very heart warming "Thank You" for providing me with the great honor of removing it 6 times and installing it 5 times. The last removal was my favorite

And this is why I love y’all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• ....The word "Thank" can be replace by another word that comes to mind.

Imma fixin to fix it where you never have to worry about me showing up at your door with a clutch problem......not that I won’t show up with sumthin else to take advantage of your mechanical wizardry .....I’ll bring the Dr Peppers :00008172:

I might not be right but I can sure sound like it

• Imma fixin to fix it where you never have to worry about me showing up at your door with a clutch problem......not that I won’t show up with sumthin else to take advantage of your mechanical wizardry .....I’ll bring the Dr Peppers :00008172:

You do know that automatics have lots of "clutch discs" in them don't you! LOL

I bet @Slingrazor builds a mean auto! jes sayin :00007510:

Tim "Ghost" Ganey
    Winfield, Alabama
    205spam412spam2868

• [quote='SaltyClownNY','https://www.slingshotinfo.com/index.php?thread/5076-really-good-video-on-turbo-and-superchargers/&postID=186487#post186487']How did we go from talking about blowers to sex AGAIN.... 8|[/quote
    Haven’t you noticed a trend, in just about every thread, someone ( Tripod) always takes somebody’s comment and makes a sexual reference to it. I for one am not complaining.

⛄️

Michael West
    Gainesville Ga.
    404-401-0841

:SLRSS::COLDAIRSS::MOTOROILSS: :OILFILTERSS: :00008862::00008698:

:00000436::00000436::00000436: