Backup camera, can it be turned on all the time?

• I have a base without the back up camera so I bought a Garmin 2798 with camera. When I wired it the directions said to wire into the back up lights so it would come on in rev. I wired into the license plate lights the camera is on all the time and I use it for live action rear view mirror. I can touch the screen and go back and forth between nav or camera. I know its not exactly what you are looking for but is my solution. It was one of the first mods I did on mine when I got it 4 years ago and its still working great. nüvi 2798LMT with Backup Camera | Garmin

:GRAYSS: Its all about that base :HEADERSS::MOTOROILSS::COLDAIRSS::COILOVERSS: Wycked hitch, Welter duels

• I have a base without the back up camera so I bought a Garmin 2798 with camera. When I wired it the directions said to wire into the back up lights so it would come on in rev. I wired into the license plate lights the camera is on all the time and I use it for live action rear view mirror. I can touch the screen and go back and forth between nav or camera. I know its not exactly what you are looking for but is my solution. It was one of the first mods I did on mine when I got it 4 years ago and its still working great. nüvi 2798LMT with Backup Camera | Garmin

Hi, just bought a base model a week ago and definitely want view of the traffic behind me. I like the idea of wiring to the license plate lights. Any issues you know of with warranty if I do this? Also curious if you ever tried any rear view mirrors. Thanks in advance for any input.

• I don't see how wiring into the plate light would affect your warranty but you could check with your dealer to be on the safe side. I have not tried a mirror as I had the camera right away. The only trouble I have is when it rains I have to take monitor off its not waterproof over all I am happy with the way it works. The camera is wireless to the monitor so I just dropped the bottom panel under the back deck and reached up into the fin to stick the sending unit. I am sure you tap into any other powered wires I just use the plate wires because it was easy.

:GRAYSS: Its all about that base :HEADERSS::MOTOROILSS::COLDAIRSS::COILOVERSS: Wycked hitch, Welter duels

• Makes sense. Thanks for the info!

Welcome to the madness! Enjoy the slingshot, you will find lots of people here will help you spend your mod-money. Its your ride, make it your personal taste, since you have a clean (base) slate to work with.

The trouble with bucket seats is not everyone has the same size 'bucket'.

• Hi, just bought a base model a week ago and definitely want view of the traffic behind me. I like the idea of wiring to the license plate lights. Any issues you know of with warranty if I do this? Also curious if you ever tried any rear view mirrors. Thanks in advance for any input.

welcome aboard @Bibi - looking forward to pictures of your ride and adventures

• Get a double din pioneer head unit, larger screen, better for sounds, can get a model with removable face, and once u setup everything it has a option for camera running at all times from a click of a button. I chose to use my Sony which has the same features because I like having an hdmi input. Don’t think I ever seen the option for stock headunit to Show a different output. Stock sucks anyways. I have 2 in the garage if u fry one.

• Members and guest, I have completed a working design for installing a Stock Backup Camera Display Switch on the Dash that will do just what is described in this thread. Hooked up my switch to the Rev Switch on the Passenger side of the Transmission. Depressed the switch and walah, my backup display was on. Yahoo, I thought, and off I went from the garage for a test drive. Started my acceleration and oh, no, the engine stutter started at about 15 mph and would not allow any faster speed. Then I recognized that this was the same condition you get when trying to go too fast in Reverse. Back to the Garage for more research.
    Well I took it out a couple more time without the Display switch on, got up to speed and found the engine would start to slow down, I push the clutch in and find that the display is on and I am not slowing down by the engine. Oh, I see I can make this thing work right if I depress the clutch. I push the gas and find I can accelerate the engine. I know the answer at this point.
    Back to the garage and I go after the Clutch Switch. All I have to do is Wire up a lead to the Clutch Switch to make it look like it is depressed. That will eliminate the engine stutter. The engine stutter we all have felt is really the Engine Rev Limiter kicking in when we are in Rev.
    I add the Clutch control lead to the circuit design so that when I push the Display switch for my Stock Backup Display, I also operate a relay that places a grd on the Clutch Switch Lead.
    Walah, all worked beautiful, but you do get a engine check light, Diag Code 5902, Clutch Switch error. It will stay on for your whole driving experience.
    All is great, but the Backup Lights are light at this time. I placed Tape over the Light position to block for testing.
    Folks, Do not do this, read the rest of my description for this design.
    Now for the down side that makes this not an acceptable idea for safety reasons.
    I did some real testing for real driving conditions that may occur. I switched the camera on and off at different time for a quick look at the rear. I did this as you would under normal driving and did not leave the display switch on all the time. I was clipping along real happy with my accomplishment and could not wait to share with all my slingshot family.
    Going about 50mph, I clicked the switch and this time the engine just started slowing up loosing power and I could not accelerate at all. Nothing, just Snazzy was slowly rolling to a stop. As I pulled over to the side of the road, I came to a stop and tried to go forward, I could only move at an idle speed. No stutter speed, just idle. I turned the engine off and restarted the engine. All was back to normal.
    Folks, I I had been on an interstate or other high traffic road, this could have been a disaster. Once the engine goes in this mode, you are helpless to get out of it, only one option, turn engine off and restart.
    My suspesions are that the ECM has a system integrity check that is constantly reviewing the circuits for proper operation and faults. Well, I have a big fault going on with the Clutch Switch wiring to make it look like it is depressed to allow me to drive.
    So, let's put this option to bed and leave it there.

Here is my evaluation Video Demonstration of this condition happening. Folks, Don't make this modification to your Stock Backup Display, purchase a stand alone Backup Camera and Display. Safety First!!!