New Member with new Slingshot - Tennessee

• P.S. When I first get going I can smell a faint burning smell. Never smell it again after the first bit. No leaking fluids. Everything under the hood looks good. Anything to be concerned about? All recalls have been performed except for grommet inspection.

possibly the clutch? - if I slip mine too much it definitely creates a smell.

• Welcome @haganjeff! We looked at the blue but decided on the red. The 2016.5's had just been released, and we purchased ours in May (22nd) also. However, ours now is only a couple hundred miles from turning 26,000 on it. As for the smell, I'm like @FunCycle, check the coolant tank to see if it's leaking. Mine is still original and hasn't leaked, but I have the DDMWorks aluminum one to install as soon as the weather breaks here (along with several other mods). Also, with only 3500 miles on it, it could well be the muffler still breaking in and giving off that new vehicle "hot" smell. Hopefully it's nothing, but if mentioned to the dealer it's documented. Should something show up around the end of the warranty period, might give you a leg up on the dealer.

Good luck and welcome to the best forum with the nicest and most knowledgeable people! And also Me and SlingLow.... haha! :00008172:

• Sounds good Cypress. I haven't seen too many SS's here in Murfreesboro, although we have a dealer..Hope to hit Natchez Trace when the weather warms up. Let's meet up sometime, just keep me out of Nashville traffic!..It's bad enough in my SUV, much less this souped up go kart!

I have not ridden NT yet, but it is on the list. I drive in Nashville traffic all the time to and from work. I actually like it better because folks get out of the way or yield to it more because they want to look at it. Hopefully it warms up here soon.

• @haganjeff

Great time in the "Boro area, lived there for 8 years before moving to Florida. NT is great, expecially in the fall, but most any roads around there can be twisty and fun to drive.
    Can't help on the start-up smell, sorry, but you will find great advice here on the board.
    And people here will have plenty of ideas on how to spend your mod money.

Second the suggestion on shocks, seems pricey but WAAAY worth it.

Enjoy, get more miles on it, and enjoy the experience.

The trouble with bucket seats is not everyone has the same size 'bucket'.

• If I was a betting man I would still say it is a leak at or on the radiator overflow tank. When you shut the SS down it leaks onto the exhaust pipe under the tank, What you are smelling is it burning off after the next start up. Mine done the same thing.

• So, let me ask, why shock upgrades? So far the ride quality is better than I expected and it handles fantastic. Love the quick steering. Curious to what improvements you get from an upgrade? I am leaning towards a CAI and maybe some of those cool blue hoses I have seen on similar Fire Blue SS's...I would also like to paint that rusty manifold or put a shield over it!

• So, let me ask, why shock upgrades? So far the ride quality is better than I expected and it handles fantastic. Love the quick steering. Curious to what improvements you get from an upgrade? I am leaning towards a CAI and maybe some of those cool blue hoses I have seen on similar Fire Blue SS's...I would also like to paint that rusty manifold or put a shield over it!

The factory shocks are what I was used to for first 3 months, then @Bill from Hahn RaceCraft had a group buy on 2 way adjustable shocks. Difference is night and day, others likened it to comparing a chevy ride to a lexus ride. Set low number, these absorb almost everything. Running over the lane divider bubbles on the road was very noticeable in the seat, where now I only hear the bumps, don't feel nearly as bad. You can adjust the settings up for better sway control in the twists and turns. Just makes that city driving more enjoyable, and when you want a stiffer sporty ride, you can bump up the notches in the damping.

I also put on CAI, that is a nice little boost as well, as they say, the seat-dyno will speak to the improvement.

• @haganjeff If you work in Nash lets do lunch one day

I work in Smyrna half the time and work from home in Murfreesboro half the time. I'm very close to Arrington which has some great hills and backroads. The winery would be a great place for a Slingshot meetup one day!..Just beautiful out there.

@flipr Where did you live in the Boro? Let me know if you ever get back to the area.

• @flipr Where did you live in the Boro? Let me know if you ever get back to the area.

haven't been back since I left, no family in area. I lived closer to Smyrna than M'boro, near 840 and Hwy 266. Mona Rd 3 miles south of the racetrack.
    Lots of nice places to enjoy the open road, we had crotch rockets screaming down Mona every Saturday.

• @haganjeff welcome to the fun side! And condolences on getting one of the slow colored ones :)

As far as the mods you mentioned I would avoid the manifold shield and just replace the manifold for a 1320 stainless steel one, is not much more than a shield and will improve sound and performance.

The coilovers like other's have said is the best mod that you never knew that you needed, it is a hard pill to swallow replacing what you think are great brand new shocks but once you ride on a sling with aftermarket shocks you will be wondering why you haven't done yours yet.

Is not that I am mean, I just don't sugarcoat what I say.

• @haganjeff the shock option I went with even though I had no plans to upgrade when I purchased, is the JRi Grand Touring shocks. They are not adjustable for different driving styles but rather are a non-adjustable tuned for optimal performance in a variety of situations. If you are super aggressive or plan to track your Sling, you would probably prefer the adjustables but I am extremely happy with my GTs without having to think about how I'll be driving today. As others have said it's night and day over the stock pogo sticks.

And as @Neosolidus said, the upgrade to a header from the stock exhaust is worth doing - visually and performance-wise. When combined with a CAI and cat-delete exhaust (or just a cat delete), you'll get a noticeable boost in power for not a lot of money. Probably the best bang for your buck for engine performance enhancement.

Stay tuned and the boosted guys and gals and air-ride guys and gals will help you spend the rest of your retirement savings/college tuition and/or children's inheritance!

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

As you have heard already....easy to spend lots on this great machine...I'm known as the 'modless' one...very few mods but have put 60,000+ miles in the seat of a Slingshot since Feb 2015 and love every minute. Put money into 'your' machine that makes you happy.....looks, comfort, performance....

The most power for your money is the cat delete pipe and the CAI plus it got me 4 MPG more.