Brake Failure warning dash light

• I took advantage of this beautiful, late January bright sunny day with the temperature 25 degrees above normal to wake up the Slingshot for a bit of a spin around town. Lo and behold, the grumpy Sling greeted me with a Brake Failure warning light. Ah, I just reboot the thing and it will go away. Oh no it won't. Took her out anyway and had a good ride. I didn't notice any problems with the brakes but didn't check the cruise control to see if that was working. I have read that usually when that light shows up the cruise control disappears. I did have brake lights (at least the hoop running/brake lights that I could see).. Got back home, snapped a picture and sent it off to our selling/servicing dealer to make them aware of the issue since our warranty will be expiring April 1st and not knowing what kind of weather we will have I didn't want to let it go without at least a mention. No problem, I was told. It is probably a sensor. They have done quite a few of them. Now we have the Brake and ESP warning lights to address. Hopefully the coming days will find a few that are "fair" enough to get the Sling to the dealers for them to have and then "fair" enough to bring it home once it is repaired.

• I took advantage of this beautiful, late January bright sunny day with the temperature 25 degrees above normal to wake up the Slingshot for a bit of a spin around town. Lo and behold, the grumpy Sling greeted me with a Brake Failure warning light. Ah, I just reboot the thing and it will go away. Oh no it won't. Took her out anyway and had a good ride. I didn't notice any problems with the brakes but didn't check the cruise control to see if that was working. I have read that usually when that light shows up the cruise control disappears. I did have brake lights (at least the hoop running/brake lights that I could see).. Got back home, snapped a picture and sent it off to our selling/servicing dealer to make them aware of the issue since our warranty will be expiring April 1st and not knowing what kind of weather we will have I didn't want to let it go without at least a mention. No problem, I was told. It is probably a sensor. They have done quite a few of them. Now we have the Brake and ESP warning lights to address. Hopefully the coming days will find a few that are "fair" enough to get the Sling to the dealers for them to have and then "fair" enough to bring it home once it is repaired.

I am on my third set of brake master cylinder sensors

• Hopefully it is a sensor and that sensor is also the culprit making the ESP warning light come on, go off, come on, go off (since April 2017)... Like I said I didn't notice any problems with braking or hearing any odd noises.. If I had, the wife would be driving the Sling to the dealers :-)

• Hopefully it is a sensor and that sensor is also the culprit making the ESP warning light come on, go off, come on, go off

Sounds more like a wheel speed sensor than the typical MC pressure sensor ... or you could have won the lottery and it be both ... but the MC sensor alone would absolutely not set off the ESP warning light .....

..... nerd-squared

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......

• I've been having that ESP warning light on and off since April. Took it to the dealers with the light on and they could not find the cause. Opened a case with Polaris and still waiting for any guidance from Polaris on where to begin looking. No codes.......No fix.

• On my fourth set. Last repair was close to a year ago. Fingers crossed.

I know of one guy, out of warranty, that pulled the sensors (on the UNDER SIDE of the reservoir) and hit them with an air gun. Fixed it for him, but have not talked to him in a few months, so dunno if it held.

If the a dealer fix, you will also get a brake bleed and flush as part of the service. Mushy brakes should disappear if you have that separate and unrelated problem.

At speed, disengage the clutch - key off, key on. Engine should restart on its own. This will clear the light, give you back your cruise control... until you hit the brakes again.

Never had the ESP light illuminate - darn sure that is a different issue.

• I complained about the mushy brakes for almost a year after taking delivery and was met with the standard "yours is the only one doing it" from Polaris and the "they all do that" from the dealer. When I had the recalls done, a new brake bleed procedure had been issued. It was done and the brakes were and still are great. What I need more than anything right now is for some at least 45 or better, dry weather so I can get it up to and back from the dealer's. It's only a half hour away but in freezing temps that can seem like quite a trek.

• Mick, I've also had brake sensors replaced 3 times and the master cylinder also. As far as the mushy brakes, there are some that have been fixed with aggressive bleeding of both main system and ABS and others that this will not work for. There's a good deal of stubbornness on this issue also as "it worked for me it's got to work for you". The bottom line is that the brake calipers are dirt cheap and have poor engineering (I saw them listed on Alibaba for something like 10 bucks apiece if you bought at least a hundred). I had endless mushy brakes..after some dealer trips with no luck and doing several high end bleeds (including a clear line return with zero bubbles). I pulled a caliper and took it apart. I found that the clearance of the piston to the caliper was inadequate even without the O-ring installed. This was causing the piston to stick and needing another pump to move it. Basically the cheap calipers had poor quality control and some would be a few thou off. I replaced with better calipers and one quick old fashioned bleed. Never had to double pump again.