BKL's Build

• I feel a little stupid starting my Build Thread with this question, but where is the Instructional post? The member builds page specifically states - "Please read the instructional post if you want to start a build."

In late 2015, I added a TD Top (Gen2) and a MadStad 13" Adjustable Windshield (both were Black Friday sale items).

In early 2016, I added a DDM Works Short Shifter and Bilstein One-Way Adjustable Shocks.

In mid 2016, I had my 2015 Base Slingshot repainted Yellow by a young man here in Houston. He was very enthusiastic about painting it and only wanted $800. Other bids I'd gotten were between $1200 - 2000+, so I should have remembered the old adage, you get what you pay for! The main thing I wanted was a Yellow Slingshot and I got that, along with some paint imperfections. I'd rate the overall job as a 3-5, meaning as long as you're more than 3-5 ft from the Slingshot, it looks pretty good. but closer than 3-5 ft and the flaws are visible. The painter was thrilled with the opportunity and his effort, even if I wasn't as impressed, but it did meet my budgetary goals as far as cost and my Slingshot is now Yellow! I did the panel removal and re-installation and he did the sanding and painting/buffing. Thanks to @Painter for his panel disassembly tips.

After DIY'ing insulation and a panel to seal off the Infotainment cubby area from engine heat (Insulating the Infotainment Cubby Area From Engine Compartment Heat), I've gone thru several rounds of stereo installs and currently use a Planet Audio PGR35B weatherproof radio with Bluetooth & USB/MP3 playback hooked up to a Clarion XC2410 amp driving two front 4" speakers mounted above the dash & glovebox and two RF 6.5" speakers in SSV Works Rear Deck (Roll Hoop) pods. The XC2410 amp finally gave me enough power to hear music at speed (of course, having the 6.5" speakers just a few inches behind my ears helped)! :D

After ordering a Hahn "Slightly Warm" Stage 2/2X system with free StreetRace exhaust in Fall 2016 and waiting for the swing-arm and other recalls to be performed, along with some other delaying factors on my side, I finally started my turbo install around the end of June 2017. I also ordered an Innovate SCG-1 AFR/Boost gauge/Controller, not knowing at the time that the Boost Controller feature doesn't work very well with the Slingshot's reflashed ECU, so I eventually just installed the SCG-1 as a combined AFR/Boost gauge.
    Here's a list of the threads I posted while doing the turbo install -
    Oil Pickup Tube question
    Oil Pan & RTV questions
    Hahn Turbo install questions
    Difficulties Clocking my Hahn Turbo
    Turbo intake clearance of water pump bolt
    Pressure Lubers & a question about oil pressure when starting engine after several months of non-use - I started thinking about making sure the engine was properly lubricated around this time, after my Daughter had to pull the oil pan on her 2007 Hyundai Accent to fix an oil leak. The day after she replaced the oil pan, her oil pump gave up the ghost and the engine needed replacing. The mechanic said he didn't think it was anything she did as the engine had run for several hours before the oil pump died. However, this incident made me paranoid about how long I had had the oil pan off, so I researched lubing newly built motors as I wanted to make sure I had everything properly lubed before I started the motor after the turbo install.
    Hahn Turbo Spark Plug Questions
    Questions After First Start of my Hahn Stage 2 Turbo Kit
    Toady (Jan 25, 2018), I finished getting all of my tools cleaned up and got all of the accumulated trash from the turbo install cleaned out of my carport and the Slingshot, so I finally took my Slingshot for its turbo break-in ride. I only rode for just over 5 miles and thought I'd post some of my impressions. AFR seemed to stay around 15.5-16 at idle, dropping down to the 13-14 range or lower during acceleration. I like to use the transmission to slow down, but I noticed the AFR crept up to the 19 or higher range if I used the trans to slow down, so may need to rethink this driving style. After about 4 miles of sedate (non-boosted driving), I finally gave it enough gas to feel the turbo kick-in and heard the hiss of the system when I took my foot off the gas! Woo Hoo! :thumbsup: I didn't want to work it too hard until I had a chance to post here and maybe try to get some video of the numbers during a ride. I need to figure out how to hold my camera/phone focused on the gauge during a ride to capture the video to post here. I'll try to add some ore pics of various things later.

• Sounds like you've got it going your way!

Hopefully the AFR is nothing to be concerned about. Mine is still sitting on the lift after my install and it too seems to be running high AFR at idle. Anxious to see what it does when I have an opportunity to actually take it out on the highway.

Tim "Ghost" Ganey
    Winfield, Alabama
    205spam412spam2868

• OK. I've now taken the turbo'd Slingshot out 3 times. The first two rides were short 5-7 mile trips. I tried to use my Innovate PL-1 Data Logger during the second trip, but deleted it since the data log was dated in 2005. Also, during the second ride, I heard a loud bang like a metal piece breaking, but didn't find anything on the roadway after I turned around and everything seemed running fine the rest of the ride. After the ride, I took my Ford Edge and went back to check that area again, but didn't see anything in the area where I heard the noise.
    I reformatted the memory card and put it back in the PL-1 in my Slingshot before starting the motor for the third ride which was close to 100+ minutes with 89 minutes logged, getting me close to 80-90 turbo'd miles. Came back to the house and checked my log file and it, too, was dated 2005! I still need to reread all of the documentation so I can attempt to figure out what everything means and I also now realize that I need to wire the SCG-1 AFR/Boost gauge to collect engine rpm to go along with the Boost and AFR readings. Highest Boost I saw during the ride was 6.8 psi. AFR ran closer to 12-14 during acceleration, but when cruising it sometimes seemed to be more in the 15-16 range. I gotta say that hearing the boost discharging is very addictive! :thumbsup:
    I'm trying to figure out how to make a video of the data logs for posting here.

• During my ride Monday night, my gauges were telling me I was getting round 50 mpg! Too bad the ECU can't properly compute fuel flow with the bigger turbo injectors! :D
    I'm going to get gas for tonite's ride in a few minutes and will post my math-derived mileage later.

Update - Just filled up in prep for my ride later. Before adding the turbo, I was getting just over 26 mpg according to the Slingshot's display. Based on my first fill-up after the turbo, I got around 25.6 mpg. :D

Gotta say the turbo ups the fun factor considerably!

Edited 2 times, last by BKL ().

• During my ride Monday night, my gauges were telling me I was getting round 50 mpg! Too bad the ECU can't properly compute fuel flow with the bigger turbo injectors!
    I'm going to get gas for tonite's ride in a few minutes and will post my math-derived mileage later.

Update - Just filled up in prep for my ride later. Before adding the turbo, I was getting just over 26 mpg according to the Slingshot's display. Based on my first fill-up after the turbo, I got around 25.6 mpg.

It can't since it doesn't know what size injectors you're using. It does know the amount of time it's firing, but without knowing how much fuel is being discharged, it's never going to be an acurate display

Nobody gets outta here ALIVE