helmets - do you use one? and if yes what do you use?

• I live in California so I am required by law to wear a helmet. 95% of the time I use a very small 1/2 helmet but I also have a bell vortex for when its cold or raining. What do you use?

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• South Carolina does not require a helmet or seat belt to be worn in the Sling Shot. I do not wear a helmet or wear a seat belt (pace Maker and jump start) but I do have three different types of motor cycle helmets, plus the bicycle helmet to use in the SS to wear in states that one is required. Weather or the track dictates which one I will wear.

• I live in California so I am required by law to wear a helmet. 95% of the time I use a very small 1/2 helmet but I also have a bell vortex for when its cold or raining. What do you use?

I quit wearing a helmet in CA after 4 months of wearing it and hating it. To each their own on reasons... But I found it wasn't something I needed in the SS. I had a 3/4 helmet and the skull cap helmet. Hated having to wear both. I also sit behind and view through a windshield, so the helmet wasn't a factor for vision protection.

I'd argue a helmet is not required per CA law and for a year and a half and 10K miles on CA roads, I never had an issue with the CA helmet law. I carried a print out of the law in case I was ever stopped. Which was only once. I was not ticketed. I also had conversations with multiple LEOs on the subject. They ranged from agencies CHP, Sheriff, and local PD. All agreed the SS does not require a helmet. I know of several helmet tickets thrown out in the state of CA and only 1 case where the citation stuck. I liked those odds.

No longer something I need to debate since I left CA.

Joey | 2016.5 Base Black :BLACKSS:
    "Defensor Vindex" | "Born of Freedom" | "None Shall Pass" | "Deter. Defend. Respond." | "Supra Et Ultra" | "Valor Honor" | "Si Ego Certiorem Faciam... Mihi Tu Delendus Eris"

"Dating a skinny chick is fun until you hit 110mph in the Slingshot and she flies out like a napkin... thumbsup.png" - 2W2X1

• Wife and I wear helmets when on major highways cause on coms in Bluetooth sena, but looking for some coms for half helmets that work good, something small but works good on highway. Any suggestions

Keep Three Wheels Down

• Wife and i will not even sit in a sling without a helmet. As a ex tow truck driver and a wife that worked in a hospital we have seen to many people die or have very serious injuries before their time. We wear full cover Shoei helmets with Sena 20s, we ride for fun and to see the scenery and to be able to converse without yelling. Of course we may be a bit anal about safety, we put seat belts on just to swap vehicles in the driveway. We even made it to the middle break at a double show drive in before we remembered to take our seat belts off.

To each their own, I do not begrudge anybody the right to wear or not wear. Just as long as they can afford the consequences of not wearing without my money keeping them alive in a vegatated state.

Flame suit on.

LC

• I quit wearing a helmet in CA after 4 months of wearing it and hating it. To each their own on reasons... But I found it wasn't something I needed in the SS. I had a 3/4 helmet and the skull cap helmet. Hated having to wear both. I also sit behind and view through a windshield, so the helmet wasn't a factor for vision protection.
    I'd argue a helmet is not required per CA law and for a year and a half and 10K miles on CA roads, I never had an issue with the CA helmet law. I carried a print out of the law in case I was ever stopped. Which was only once. I was not ticketed. I also had conversations with multiple LEOs on the subject. They ranged from agencies CHP, Sheriff, and local PD. All agreed the SS does not require a helmet. I know of several helmet tickets thrown out in the state of CA and only 1 case where the citation stuck. I liked those odds.

No longer something I need to debate since I left CA.

I agree!! I have had my sling for over 3 yrs now and after the first 2 months I stopped wearing one! Exactly "to each their own" and when I pass other slingers (VERY RARELY!) I chuckle when they have one on! The law here is very vague and left to interpretation therefore I have never heard of one actually sticking in court either. Now if there were to be one of the "pushy asshole" types of LEO, I carry 2 brain buckets to wear just long enough til Im out of his sight.

Til this day I have not had a problem living here in the Commie state and I think even after I do "should I have an issue" I still wont wear one unless the ride calls for it!

Owner of Three's Da Life Fenders and Three's Da Life Apparel

Proud supporter of S.O.G. (Slingshot Owners Group) :thumbsup:

WWW.ROCKMYBLING.COM

• Wife and I wear helmets when on major highways cause on coms in Bluetooth sena, but looking for some coms for half helmets that work good, something small but works good on highway. Any suggestions

The wife rides her own bike so we use Sena 10R on our helmets. On hot days I use the Sena Calvary half helmet. I was really surprised how well this works in the Slingshot. Sena Cavalry Helmet - RevZilla

:GRAYSS: Its all about that base :HEADERSS::MOTOROILSS::COLDAIRSS::COILOVERSS: Wycked hitch, Welter duels

Edited once, last by slolane ().

@KayTwo ^^^^^

If you're gonna wear a half helmet religiously, Sena has a variant in the SPH line that specifically fits into the helmet straps. I forget the exact model. If you wear a half sometimes, and sometimes nothing, try the SPH10. It wraps behind your head so you can wear it without a helmet, and you can also make it fit under a half helmet, with a little work, although that's not it's primary design. Love the Sena set up, but if you already have one for the full helmet, you know how good it is.

• State patrol only requires a helmet in Washington and I use the Bell Pit Boss. I do have a titanium Bell Mag-9 with the built in SENA in XL for anyone interested. It is lightly used with some light blemishes. It does not fit my noggin and I'd let it go for $150 + shipping. The helmet goes for about $180 and the SENA SMH-10 for Bell Mag-9 is about $155.

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• Bell Pit Boss, and as much as I hate helmets- I wear it ALL the time. My darn insurance is an arm and a leg- don't need it to go up due to helmet tickets............

It shouldn't. All the places I've ever lived, helmet tickets were not moving violations and didn't go against your license points or get reported to insurance.

• Justina currently wears a Sedici Sistema Carbon modular helmet. She originally had a Schuberth C3 Pro Women, but chose a different helmet later because the Schuberth proved to get uncomfortable on longer rides, though not before it did save her from serious injury when road debris was thrown up and clobbered her just above her visor.The lesson learned here was that not all helmets fit the same, not everybody's head is the same, so a rider should take the time to get fitted properly if they want a helmet to wear comfortably. I will agree with the sentiment that wearing a helmet should be by choice, but it was very fortunate that Justina chooses to wear a helmet for I could have very well lost her that day. I currently use a Shoei Neotec modular helmet. Sena SMH10 is the intercom that we use to comfortably converse noise free.

Bill

• Justina currently wears a Sedici Sistema Carbon modular helmet. She originally had a Schuberth C3 Pro Women, but chose a different helmet later because the Schuberth proved to get uncomfortable on longer rides, though not before it did save her from serious injury when road debris was thrown up and clobbered her just above her visor.The lesson learned here was that not all helmets fit the same, not everybody's head is the same, so a rider should take the time to get fitted properly if they want a helmet to wear comfortably. I will agree with the sentiment that wearing a helmet should be by choice, but it was very fortunate that Justina chooses to wear a helmet for I could have very well lost her that day. I currently use a Shoei Neotec modular helmet. Sena SMH10 is the intercom that we use to comfortably converse noise free.

Bill

Road debris is something I take very seriously. In the past when driving on the freeway I have had my car hit by a lug nut that came off of a big rig (made a huge dent) and I had an entire sheet of sheet rock/drywall flip up in front me when the car proceeding me went over it. It exploded like a big ball of snow when my car went through it. On top of this my wife had a large piece of wood come right through her front windshield. I wouldn't be caught dead driving my Slingshot on the freeway without a helmet even a small rock could be devastating if it hit you in the head.

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• Hopefully if all goes well and I'm not being mis-lead AGAIN, I should receive my revived from the dead SKULLY AR-1 helmet I ordered 5 yrs ago! They say Im back on the list and due for a summer 2018 delivery......thats like in "2 weeks"! bored-squareddoubtful-squared

A new company is trying to revive the Skully AR helmet

Owner of Three's Da Life Fenders and Three's Da Life Apparel

Proud supporter of S.O.G. (Slingshot Owners Group) :thumbsup:

WWW.ROCKMYBLING.COM