helmets - do you use one? and if yes what do you use?

• We bought half helmets when we got SS. Figured it would allow us to hear each other when traveling and it has. Haven't put a helmet on one time since we got the Bullet Speed Top. Keep them on hand just in case we get stopped. Gonna get us some full face helmets when it gets cooler.

I will say that with the slingshot as my daily driver having a full helmet for the cold and or wet days is a nice thing. Not only does it keep your head dry, but rain hurts at 70 mph

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• Calcium and Vitamin D will harden your skull so you won't need a helmet :)
    Seriously, it's a tool that is worth using as needed---protection, rain, cold, bluetooth, etc.
    That said, I normally don't use for local cruising but will wear on longer trips or if it's raining.
    Other issue is cost...I don't see much value in spending big bucks. The safety diff between a $50 DOT helmet vs one that cost 6 times as much probably offers only a very minimal % increase in safety when in something like a Sling. I think the pricier ones can be more easily justified on a 2 wheeler. Fit and comfort is more important for us.

• Calcium and Vitamin D will harden your skull so you won't need a helmet :)
    Seriously, it's a tool that is worth using as neeed---protection, rain, cold, bluetooth, etc.
    That said, I normally don't use for local cruising but will wear on longer trips or if it's raining.
    Other issue is cost...I don't see much value in spending big bucks. The safety diff between a $50 DOT helmet vs one that cost 6 times as much probably offers only a very minimal % increase in safety when in something like a Sling. I think the pricier ones can be more easily justified on a 2 wheeler. Fit and comfort is more important for us.

I agree, neither my 1/2 helmet or my full helmet were expensive - With wearing one being the law in California the 1/2 helmet was chosen because it was the smallest and lightest DOT approved I could find at the time. On the highway I do feel more secure with a helmet, but around town its pretty much only there so I don't get a ticket - I have been considering trying to find something even smaller and lighter something non/DOT I doubt our local police would even care if it was DOT or not

• I agree, neither my 1/2 helmet or my full helmet were expensive - With wearing one being the law in California the 1/2 helmet was chosen because it was the smallest and lightest DOT approved I could find at the time. On the highway I do feel more secure with a helmet, but around town its pretty much only there so I don't get a ticket - I have been considering trying to find something even smaller and lighter something non/DOT I doubt our local police would even care if it was DOT or not

Try the Bicycle helmet, all they are looking for is something on your head when they drive by. I bought the one that has the magnetic shaded visor a couple years ago for the wife to wear

• If it's just for the temperature protection, don't bother. Get a couple of the face shields from SA Co. Much cheaper, easier to wear, and more versatile (hot and cold weatherl).

I started off last winter with a face shield after not long I switched to the full helmet in cold I just like it better and in rain its no contest

• I bought googles for rain because glasses in rain sucks. But I been in a few down pours that started filling them. As much as I hate helmets I will agree in winter and rain you cant beat a full face shield, if you can stand to wear one.

By the time I save up for mods, I have to buy another rear tire :cursing:

• I don't wear a helmet but I have the Slingshade and I have a full race helmet behind my seat just in case. Slingshade is pretty good for protecting your head but wearing eye protection would be helpful as some rain will hit your eyes in the rain (I hope to never ride in the rain).

• I will say that with the slingshot as my daily driver having a full helmet for the cold and or wet days is a nice thing. Not only does it keep your head dry, but rain hurts at 70 mph

Try riding around with no underwear (but please wear your jeans) at 30 mph it will go through your jeans and sting like many bees. Waaaaaaaa! Never did that again.

• XXXXXXXXXXX
    I have the Slingshade and i ride in the rain. Setting at a red light it helps, But once you start moving the rain will wash your eye balls out, You'll need a full face or goggles...

Some times a Cigar is just a Cigar.......

• XXXXXXXXXXX
    I have the Slingshade and i ride in the rain. Setting at a red light it helps, But once you start moving the rain will wash your eye balls out, You'll need a full face or goggles...

I have the twist top and at a stop you get your own personal waterfall from the center section. Lands right in the shifter well to over flowing. It was a fairly heavy rain.

• I am in NY and have to wear a helmet. But I live a mile from CT where you don’t. I usually wear a helmet on the highway to protect from flying objects.

I started with a cheap helmet from Amazon that was $30. The lining is cheap and makes you really hot. I upgraded to an LS2 rebellion. There is a pull down shield that covers your eyes. Mixed results over glasses. You can get them in dark tint, smoke, yellow or clear. Unfortunately no photochromic. They have a vent in the helmet and ear pads for when it gets cold. No neck liner for warmth in the winter. I find it works very well when it’s hot.

B01N8VISVS

• So, I just went thru all 115+ posts regarding the helmets.

I speak from experience. I was in a major crash in my 1st SS. That's it to the left in my Avatar. Ford Mustang turned left directly in front of me and I t-boned him at 55+ MPH. I tried to turn hard left but all that did was turn the SS left slightly while still moving into a straight line. SS went into his passenger side front tire, UNDER the door, and PEELED the sheet metal from the side of the Mustang. SS spun around clockwise a few times and I came to rest 3 lanes away. Turns out (during the legal dispositions) that I was knocked unconscious for a few seconds - enough time for the other driver to get out of his car and come over towards me. You can read about it on TDS in the Batmobile is Totaled thread.

I was wearing the stock 3 point seat belt and no helmet. Yes, there was flying debris everywhere - windshield shattered and just added to the shrapnel. My eyeglasses were destroyed. 3 yrs later I still have to use a pillow to support my right shoulder while sleeping.

Point of all this: I am ABSOLUTELY convinced that NOT wearing a helmet in the SS SAVED MY LIFE. Remember about being unconscious - I'm sure that the extra weight of ANY helmet would have snapped my neck.

You see, motorcycle helmets are meant to protect your head when your body is flopping around after a motorcycle crash. Your body is not restrained by seat belts so the expectation is that you are separated from the MC and the helmet is there just to protect that fifth appendage from hitting hard things.

In any vehicle where your body is restrained by seat belts you're no longer going to be separated from the vehicle. Thus it's the vehicle itself that becomes the protection for your appendages. And those need to be secured from moving around. Adding extra weight just makes it harder for that vehicle to protect it's passenger. Would you strap extra weights to your arms and legs and think that would help in a crash?

So if you're wearing a helmet in a seated vehicle where you are secured, you need that helmet to be secured to that vehicle with any sort of HANS device. Ask Dale Earnhardt Sr. about his helmet in the car without wearing a HANS. An unsecured helmet in a secured vehicle is a dangerous combination.

That also being said, the 3 point seat belts did as much damage to my body as anything (okay, maybe not as much damage as the steering wheel, but you get my meaning). The 3 points in a vehicle without crumple zones and airbags is just the minimum LEGAL requirements. I have switched to 4 points in my SS (yes, I mounted them correctly), but am looking to even upgrade those to H-Harnesses. I thought I would check with other people in the Ozarks about their recommendations.

To add to my justifications, I've ridden motorcycles and dirt bikes for 30+ years and ALWAYS wore a helmet, even if I didn't wear other protective gear (jacket, boots, etc.). I agree with wearing helmets. I'm just saying that wearing a helmet INCORRECTLY is worse than not wearing one at all.

• I've always worn a helmet, even in Fl. where I don't have too. I guess I got used to it. Florida was not always a helmet free state so I have been wearing one since I was a kid.

I can see where somebody just getting into cycling and trying to wear a helmet for the first time would find it cumbersome and uncomfortable but for me it is second nature. I normaly wear a modular full-face but think I am going to switch to a half helmet now that I have the SS.

• Here is what we wear. Helmet and shield have saved us from road debris and insects.

Sent from my iPad using Polaris Slingshot Forum mobile app

As I have reiterated several times, at least twice for my beloved, and at least once for myself, while riding the Grasshopper, our helmets have saved us both from serious injury/death by the fact of their deflecting flying debris that has invaded the passenger compartment..........................

Every time we get into any of our automobiles we are reminded of this possibility with the several chips each windshield has......................

With the fully open cockpit we have been wearing full faced modular helmets, now we're thinking we will be looking for lighter, more "airy" helmets for when the top is installed?

Bill