helmets - do you use one? and if yes what do you use?

    This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

    • Gadgeteer wrote:

      Boomer wrote:

      Wife and I wear helmets when on major highways cause on coms in Bluetooth sena, but looking for some coms for half helmets that work good, something small but works good on highway. Any suggestions
      Check out UCLEAR HBC200 Series boomless headset system. The comm mounts to the exterior while the headset (and charger) plugs in via a mini USB port on the comm. The boomless headsets come in different configurations for full face (speaker pods or earbuds) and half shells (earbuds). The Speaker pods have the mics built in and they work surprisingly well. Voice clarity with the boomless mics in our full face helmets is as good or better than our old wired boom mic system and I can have a clear phone conversation at highway speeds as long as the face shield is closed and my [removable] chin bar is in place."

      I second the Uclear. had some when they were new . I ride alone most the time so have not tried the intercom but for music and phone they work pretty darn good.
      Only thing is Im partly tone (wifes tone) deaf for certain tones so at highway speeds the music is not as noticeable or loud enough for me .
      But if they were much louder I would be getting more damage.




      I have two hewlmets
      One full face that I use mostly on the motorcycle and when its cold for the sling.
      I also use a HJC half helmet that stays in the sling.
      I disagree in the cartoon that shows the helmet causing neck injury.
      How old was that diagram and is it backed up by Stats for normal road use not race tracks ?
      I agree I dont see the need for a helmet anymore in the sling than in any other convertible as if it flips its not a good day period.
      But I also say its the riders choice and should be only thiers.
    • ericastar76 wrote:

      imrubicon wrote:

      For those who hate their helmet law , get out and work to get it changed .
      Yeah... doesn’t always work. But you’re right on the “try” part!
      Yeah, ABATE of Maryland has been trying for more than 20 yrs to repeal helmet regs. This is from the 2017...


      ********HB 1410-Vehicle Laws-Protective Headgear Requirement for Motorcycle Riders-Exception

      This bill allows helmet choice to riders over 21 who have two years riding experience or have completed an authorized safety course. If the passenger is over 21 they may have choice if the operator qualifies for choice. ABATE requested this bill.

      The hearing is March 9th at 1PM in the House Environment and Transportation Committee

      Status:
      In the House - Unfavorable Report by Environment and Transportation



      In other words... not likely. ||

      Oh well. The fact is, and all the statistics agree,... helmets help more often than they harm.

      "Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
      ― Douglas Adams
    • I was not wearing a helmet in my 83 CJ-7 when a lady turned right in front of me. It was so quick I had no time to turn. I hit her straight and ended up getting three disks fused in my neck. I was doing 35. She got a ticket and I lost 17% use of my neck. I can honestly say I believe that the hit would have resulted in my death if I had the extra weight of a helmet on my head. Without an airbag we are basically screwed. I won't wear a helmet unless racing, riding in rain/cold, or being forced to wear one.
      :SLRSS: :HEADERSS: :COILOVERSS: :SUPERCHARGERSS:
    • dangerdarrell wrote:

      I was not wearing a helmet in my 83 CJ-7 when a lady turned right in front of me. It was so quick I had no time to turn. I hit her straight and ended up getting three disks fused in my neck. I was doing 35. She got a ticket and I lost 17% use of my neck. I can honestly say I believe that the hit would have resulted in my death if I had the extra weight of a helmet on my head. Without an airbag we are basically screwed. I won't wear a helmet unless racing, riding in rain/cold, or being forced to wear one.
      That sucks!! I’m only liking because of the last part ~> I won't wear a helmet unless racing, riding in rain/cold, or being forced to wear one.
      If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you...
      // ES-DesignWorks
    • Iowa was helmet law and I spent a couple of years helping to get it changed, stats at that time showed eye protection did as well as helmets in preventing.
      Its sad that those who will never ride a motorcycle/slingshot help vote the helmets laws and dont get all the facts to make a informed decision.
      It was never a easy battle as lying politicians say it costs those whose dont ride big bucks because of medical.
      Wait Im thinking all politicians are lying thieving, hangings too good for them, burning is too good for them, they ought to be torn into itty bitty pieces and buried alive to quote a really old movieLOL
    • imrubicon wrote:

      Iowa was helmet law and I spent a couple of years helping to get it changed, stats at that time showed eye protection did as well as helmets in preventing.
      Its sad that those who will never ride a motorcycle/slingshot help vote the helmets laws and dont get all the facts to make a informed decision.
      It was never a easy battle as lying politicians say it costs those whose dont ride big bucks because of medical.
      Wait Im thinking all politicians are lying thieving, hangings too good for them, burning is too good for them, they ought to be torn into itty bitty pieces and buried alive to quote a really old movieLOL
      Mmmmkay... ~> Makes me glad I’m out of politics now! LOL
      If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you...
      // ES-DesignWorks
    • SlingLow wrote:

      Abate has worked Washington since the early 70's. No change in effective law. Sad but true.
      To be fair, that's statement should only apply to changing helmet regs. ABATE has made effective changes in legislation on behalf of motorcyclist, just not in regard to repealing or loosening helmet requirements. In fact, I doubt they ever will. More likely, helmet regs will loosen up on autocycles because of their appeal to so many non-motorcyclists.

      I've actually had people say the the helmet requirement was only thing keeping them from getting a SS. Maybe it was bullshit but based on their sneering contempt and thinking the SS isn't worthy of them because of a helmet, my thought at those times was, "Good! I don't want you to get one either. The 3-wheel community is doesn't need you or your self-important attitude!" :thumbsup:

      "Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
      ― Douglas Adams
    • helmets - do you use one? and if yes what do you use?

      ericastar76 wrote:

      imrubicon wrote:

      For those who hate their helmet law , get out and work to get it changed .
      Yeah... doesn’t always work. But you’re right on the “try” part!



      My kind of woman...challenging the status-quo!


      Sent from my iPad using Polaris Slingshot Forum mobile app
    • WrongWheelDrive wrote:

      I ordered this one last week. Used my Harley points and got it for free :thumbup:


      Yeah, I saw that one on the shelf but decided to hold off, for now. Twern't easy. It may become an early Birthday present. ;)


      Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

      "Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
      ― Douglas Adams
    • Ruptured Duck wrote:

      WrongWheelDrive wrote:

      I ordered this one last week. Used my Harley points and got it for free :thumbup:



      sooo funny. This was delivered today. I have been putting off getting one like this for some time. I just pulled the trigger. Wife just rolled her eyes at me.... My daughter thought it was cool.
      Hmmm. Looks remarkably similar to the H-D model. How does it compare on price? I'm curious how much more that sweet H-D logo adds. ;)

      "Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
      ― Douglas Adams
    • Tripod wrote:

      HD stands for Hundred Dollars. If you buy ANYTHING at a Harley dealer, it seems it’s at least a hundred dollars... :D
      Perhaps but on the flip side, what can you buy for less than $100 that you would actually want to put on a Harley? :D

      BTW, I looked up the helmet and the the H-D list price is about $16 higher. Not totally ridiculous and I like the H-D's slotted mask better than the Scorpion's.

      "Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
      ― Douglas Adams

    Slingshotinfo.com is not affiliated with Polaris Industries the makers of Polaris Slingshot in any way.