helmets - do you use one? and if yes what do you use?

• Yeah... doesn’t always work. But you’re right on the “try” part!

Yeah, ABATE of Maryland has been trying for more than 20 yrs to repeal helmet regs. This is from the 2017...

******** HB 1410-Vehicle Laws-Protective Headgear Requirement for Motorcycle Riders-Exception

This bill allows helmet choice to riders over 21 who have two years riding experience or have completed an authorized safety course. If the passenger is over 21 they may have choice if the operator qualifies for choice. ABATE requested this bill.

The hearing is March 9th at 1PM in the House Environment and Transportation Committee

Status: In the House - Unfavorable Report by Environment and Transportation

In other words... not likely. ||

Oh well. The fact is, and all the statistics agree,... helmets help more often than they harm.

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
    ― Douglas Adams

• I was not wearing a helmet in my 83 CJ-7 when a lady turned right in front of me. It was so quick I had no time to turn. I hit her straight and ended up getting three disks fused in my neck. I was doing 35. She got a ticket and I lost 17% use of my neck. I can honestly say I believe that the hit would have resulted in my death if I had the extra weight of a helmet on my head. Without an airbag we are basically screwed. I won't wear a helmet unless racing, riding in rain/cold, or being forced to wear one.

• I was not wearing a helmet in my 83 CJ-7 when a lady turned right in front of me. It was so quick I had no time to turn. I hit her straight and ended up getting three disks fused in my neck. I was doing 35. She got a ticket and I lost 17% use of my neck. I can honestly say I believe that the hit would have resulted in my death if I had the extra weight of a helmet on my head. Without an airbag we are basically screwed. I won't wear a helmet unless racing, riding in rain/cold, or being forced to wear one.

That sucks!! I’m only liking because of the last part ~> I won't wear a helmet unless racing, riding in rain/cold, or being forced to wear one.

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you...
    Signature.png

• Iowa was helmet law and I spent a couple of years helping to get it changed, stats at that time showed eye protection did as well as helmets in preventing.
    Its sad that those who will never ride a motorcycle/slingshot help vote the helmets laws and dont get all the facts to make a informed decision.
    It was never a easy battle as lying politicians say it costs those whose dont ride big bucks because of medical.
    Wait Im thinking all politicians are lying thieving, hangings too good for them, burning is too good for them, they ought to be torn into itty bitty pieces and buried alive to quote a really old movieLOL

• Iowa was helmet law and I spent a couple of years helping to get it changed, stats at that time showed eye protection did as well as helmets in preventing.
    Its sad that those who will never ride a motorcycle/slingshot help vote the helmets laws and dont get all the facts to make a informed decision.
    It was never a easy battle as lying politicians say it costs those whose dont ride big bucks because of medical.
    Wait Im thinking all politicians are lying thieving, hangings too good for them, burning is too good for them, they ought to be torn into itty bitty pieces and buried alive to quote a really old movieLOL

Mmmmkay... ~> Makes me glad I’m out of politics now! LOL

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you...
    Signature.png

• Abate has worked Washington since the early 70's. No change in effective law. Sad but true.

To be fair, that's statement should only apply to changing helmet regs. ABATE has made effective changes in legislation on behalf of motorcyclist, just not in regard to repealing or loosening helmet requirements. In fact, I doubt they ever will. More likely, helmet regs will loosen up on autocycles because of their appeal to so many non-motorcyclists.

I've actually had people say the the helmet requirement was only thing keeping them from getting a SS. Maybe it was bullshit but based on their sneering contempt and thinking the SS isn't worthy of them because of a helmet, my thought at those times was, "Good! I don't want you to get one either. The 3-wheel community is doesn't need you or your self-important attitude!" :thumbsup:

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
    ― Douglas Adams

• I ordered this one last week. Used my Harley points and got it for free :thumbup:

Yeah, I saw that one on the shelf but decided to hold off, for now. Twern't easy. It may become an early Birthday present. ;)

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

― Douglas Adams

• I ordered this one last week. Used my Harley points and got it for free :thumbup:

sooo funny. This was delivered today. I have been putting off getting one like this for some time. I just pulled the trigger. Wife just rolled her eyes at me.... My daughter thought it was cool.

Proud supporter of S.O.G.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

:thumbsup:

Owner/operator: MeanSling LLC :thumbsup:

• sooo funny. This was delivered today. I have been putting off getting one like this for some time. I just pulled the trigger. Wife just rolled her eyes at me.... My daughter thought it was cool.

Hmmm. Looks remarkably similar to the H-D model. How does it compare on price? I'm curious how much more that sweet H-D logo adds. ;)

― Douglas Adams

• HD stands for Hundred Dollars. If you buy ANYTHING at a Harley dealer, it seems it’s at least a hundred dollars... :D

Perhaps but on the flip side, what can you buy for less than $100 that you would actually want to put on a Harley? :D

BTW, I looked up the helmet and the the H-D list price is about $16 higher. Not totally ridiculous and I like the H-D's slotted mask better than the Scorpion's.

― Douglas Adams