helmets - do you use one? and if yes what do you use?

• "Road debris is something I take very seriously. In the past when driving on the freeway I have had my car hit by a lug nut that came off of a big rig (made a huge dent) and I had an entire sheet of sheet rock/drywall flip up in front me when the car proceeding me went over it. It exploded like a big ball of snow when my car went through it. On top of this my wife had a large piece of wood come right through her front windshield. I wouldn't be caught dead driving my Slingshot on the freeway without a helmet even a small rock could be devastating if it hit you in the head."

"...................though not before (her helmet) saved her from serious injury when road debris was thrown up and clobbered her just above her visor....................... I will agree with the sentiment that wearing a helmet should be by choice, but it was very fortunate that Justina chooses to wear a helmet for I could have very well lost her that day."

Yep, and how about an added experience of where I happened upon a swarm of bees while riding, the front, wind screen and my helmet took hours to clean. I honestly do not know what to say to somebody that would actually laugh and make fun of somebody that chose to wear their helmet while riding the SlingShot?

Bill

• Wife and I wear helmets when on major highways cause on coms in Bluetooth sena, but looking for some coms for half helmets that work good, something small but works good on highway. Any suggestions

Check out UCLEAR HBC200 Series boomless headset system. The comm mounts to the exterior while the headset (and charger) plugs in via a mini USB port on the comm. The boomless headsets come in different configurations for full face (speaker pods or earbuds) and half shells (earbuds). The Speaker pods have the mics built in and they work surprisingly well. Voice clarity with the boomless mics in our full face helmets is as good or better than our old wired boom mic system and I can have a clear phone conversation at highway speeds as long as the face shield is closed and my [removable] chin bar is in place.

I haven't tried the earbuds yet (I plan on getting a couple sets this year, for our half shells) but I expect they are just as effective. The mics are located on the earbud cords, like your typical earbuds but they aren't hanging near your cheek, they are positioned inside the helmet above your brow. The only thing dangling out from the interior are the earbuds themselves and the connector to the comm module. All in all, it is a relatively discrete system and works very well.

I almost forgot... a couple things I really like... you can buy extra pods/earbuds for each of your helmets then just switch the comm module to whichever helmet you are using. One system to rule them all. Also, the intercom can link with other non-UCLEAR systems for group intercom (up to 10 riders, I think). Music is also shareable with your passenger, but I haven't really tried to get that working yet. Since the SS system will only pipe music to one headset at a time, UCLEAR claims to be able to forward the input through the primary comm (driver headset) to the secondary comm (passenger headset) so you can listen to the same music source.

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
    ― Douglas Adams

Edited once, last by Gadgeteer ().

• I live in California so I am required by law to wear a helmet. 95% of the time I use a very small 1/2 helmet but I also have a bell vortex for when its cold or raining. What do you use?

Maryland also requires a helmet and if you know me, I'm a stickler for pointing out that the law is not "open to interpretation". That being said, as of this past summer, I rarely wear a helmet when driving around town. I know it is risky, both from a legal and safety perspective, and I accept that risk willingly. If I am cited for not wearing a helmet, I would deserve it. However, that has not happened yet (knock on wood).

If I'm going to a different state, I obey their helmet laws more strictly and wear a helmet as required, especially on the highways. When I got pulled over last Fall in WV doing 83 in a 65 zone, the officer was a veteran motorcyclist and knew the regulations regarding three-wheelers VERY well. We had a nice chat, I learned a few things, popped the hood for him, answered the usual admirer questions, and he let me go with a warning. Thankfully, I was wearing a helmet when he spotted me. :D

Foul/cold weather helmet: Nolan N44 Modular full-face (detachable chin bar) - a great helmet, IMHO, and relatively comfortable for all seasons, when necessary.

Fair/warm weather helmet: No frills H-D half shell that I've had since I bought my 2003 Fatboy (15 yrs. ago). Considering replacing with H-D's new modular half shell (detachable collar and face mask) as a warm weather alternative to the Nolan. Looks bad-ass and packing two helmets (half and full) for long trips or the track is a PITA.

Here's some pics of our riding headgear collection. Before the really cold weather forced me into the Nolan, I was favoring my modular ballcap (removable flap cap) for scooting around town. Seriously. :D

In case you're wondering, the Mrs. loves the custom painted cat helmet I got her for her birthday a couple years ago. The only downside, as you can imagine, is the ears tend to increase wind buffeting, even though they are vented. I created the paint design on my computer, using Inkscape, then had the manufacturer's paint team lay it on during the assembly and finishing. As if the Slingshot didn't turn enough heads, driving around with Catwoman in the passenger seat definitely draws some additional attention. 8)

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
    ― Douglas Adams

Edited 2 times, last by Gadgeteer ().

• One think I have noticed is that when I wear the full helmet I seem to drive more aggressively.

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• If we are on the highway or at high speeds, both the wife and I wear our HLH full helmets. Mainly for safety but we also run Sena coms so we are not yelling at each other. Plus we Bluetooth it to the radio so we also have the tunes on as well.

And I agree with wjfyfe....why would you laugh, or make fun of someone wearing a helmet?

:SLRSS:

S O G Member

Oklahoma

Slingshot

Riders

• And I agree with wjfyfe....why would you laugh, or make fun of someone wearing a helmet?

Only the ignorant (or cruel) would laugh at someone wearing a helmet. Now, laughing at someone that ISN'T wearing a helmet - that is much more understandable. :thumbup: Helmets have saved my bacon, more than once, yet I still take the calculated risk of going without. Queue the laughter and pass the DUNCE cap!

― Douglas Adams

If you do use a helmet without any secondary head restraint please consider using the lightest possible unit that fits your needs ....

The added weight of a helmet increases the risk of being killed or paralyzed in an otherwise survivable accident when used along with seat belts ... a four point increases this possibility .....

......... nerd-squared

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......

• $5000.00

You forgot about the comms...

This one is $7599.00. Seriously. Click the pic to see the seller's site. Un-frickin-real.

― Douglas Adams

• If you do use a helmet without any secondary head restraint please consider using the lightest possible unit that fits your needs ....

The added weight of a helmet increases the risk of being killed or paralyzed in an otherwise survivable accident when used along with seat belts ... a four point increases this possibility .....

And that is a large personal reason for me why I don't wear a helmet. Well, that and I don't like being told how to live my life.... :00000014::00008172:

• Dunno. I agree that the helmet adds weight and can lead to over extension, especially with a 4-point harness. Of course the lack of any impact energy abatement (bumpers, crumple-zones, etc.) transmits more of that energy through the seatbelt too. However, when we nailed that tree at 45-55 mph (head-on, dead-stop, no rebound) neither the Mrs. nor I suffered any neck strain. Bruised ribs from the stock 3-point harnesses (lots of impact energy), a sprained thumb for her, and a minor fracture in my foot, but no neck discomfort.

I think this concern is mostly related to 4-point harnesses. The few times I've ridden with someone that had them, I did feel like my head was getting tossed more than usual. If I had to guess, it is the limited range of torso movement allowed by a 4-point that transmits significantly more momentum energy to the unrestrained parts of your body; your head and limbs. Kind of like a bullwhip, the momentum energy ripples through your restrained torso, amplifying the effect to your extremities. With a 3-point arrangement, your torso has greater range of motion and can absorb more energy, like a sandbag.

Just my 2 cents.

― Douglas Adams

• Did someone say catwoman?

If only... (wistful sigh) :00009069:

My wife is cute and all, but... M.P. she is not. Not sure she could pull off the latex outfit either. Still, "a bird in the hand..." as the saying goes. 8)
    Fortunately, she's not on the forums and will probably never see this. If she did, I'd probably be inviting folks over to my NEW place for beers...

― Douglas Adams