es-designworks.com

• One thing you might do to free up space if you have the side yard room to do it, is to build a "lean to" or shanty off the side of the garage. Many ways to do this, but basically it's just a concrete slab and then boxed in up to the overhang, or can put a slanted roof on it. This space only need to be 8" or so around the compressor, and the compressor will sit in it and plumb the air thru the wall. Insulate it, and put a fan in there will keep the noise down from the outside. This frees up floor space in the garage, and keeps the noise down, and keeps the dust from getting to the compressor. Perhaps the biggest benefit though, is that should the tank fail (not often, but they do on rare times) it will have a better chance of not taking out your garage.

Offering up my ideas based on what I've changed, and what I wish I'd done. Compressor is still in back corner of my garage, but I've been sketching out how I can change that. My compressor is older, but I've had it since new and serviced it regularly along with keeping the tank dry. When I replace it, I'll be looking at moving it outside the garage at that point.

• Unfortunately, this is a townhouse I bought for my mom a little over 10 years ago so she could retire without creditors. While "technically" mine, I don't want to make too many mods (if there's such a thing), before Stacy and I get our FINAL property with more acreage to build a real detached workshop.

*sigh* If we didn't already have 2 cars in the garage at the other townhouse... would have probably done it there.

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you...
    Signature.png

• Well I guess its time you make some sacrifices and let one of the 2 cars in the garage go!!!!

Ill take the one on the right if you need to park it somewhere safe!! grin-squared

Owner of Three's Da Life Fenders and Three's Da Life Apparel

Proud supporter of S.O.G. (Slingshot Owners Group) :thumbsup:

WWW.ROCKMYBLING.COM

Edited 2 times, last by STYLN ().

• Nice layout. I would change a few things, but personal preference. I would rotate the table with the vise, grinder, and the lathe to the back, 19 degrees, but leave it out from the wall enough to get in behind if there is room. The compressor can go next to it, or just out from it if needed. Storage bins would be out next to the compressor. As for what's on the desk, I'd put the grinder on one corner, and the vise on the other farthest corner. I've had it like you have here, side by side, and (especially the vice) the grinder was always getting in the way. I'd put the lathe on the back long side, centered so that you have room for tools on either side. If you have any quick change tooling, I'd make a simple rack for one of the ends on the lathe side. Tig unit could go under the bench if it fits, just cover it unless you are currently using it.

If not enough room on the back wall to put that table, I'd stick, closer to what you have, but would still keep the vise with as much room as possible around it and away from the grinder. I've found the grinder can get closer to the wall without as much problem, but the vise I like out where I have room if needed. My $.02 only, just sharing what I would do for food for thought.

You are correct @Goats_Hogs. Both the grinder and the table vice should have max. room around them. I have both of mine mounted on a 4 foot square table (1/2 inch steel plate weights about 1,000 lbs) and still one gets in the way of the other. You will get tired of the air compressor noise inside but put it in any corner totally out of the way

• Storage bins put beside the SS if room allows or totally out of the way somewhere else. If you do not have to get behind the CNC or the Mark 7 push them up to a wall.

• After a few adjustments, my Klutch now cuts true!! :00008040:

...and with my 4th axis setup ~> it shouldn’t be much longer before I can start making stuff!! :thumbsup:

Erica it is really awesome to see you doing this from the ground up! Pretty exciting stuff!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• What ever you decide to make @ericastar76, I find what you are doing to be pretty cool. I like the setup you are putting together. Should make for some good fun. :thumbup:

Thanks @WOLF... I’m getting really close to having all the machines I need to start making a few ideas in my idea sketchbook. While all this has been a long and tiresome task ~> I’m really enjoying every minute of it so far!! :thumbup:

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you...
    Signature.png