es-designworks.com

• Sadly, I did clean it... apparently this type of anodized aluminum is one of the most challenging materials to weld. May try using a red tip tungsten tomorrow (used a green tip today). In the end, whether bolted together or welded, I love the rigidity of this material and think it’ll be perfect for the spray booth.

I will reach out to my brother and ask the best way to clean it

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• @ericastar76, You probably read this already, but a quick Google search took me to this link - Aluminum Workshop: The trouble with welding anodized aluminum - The Fabricator.
    He summarized - "As a general recommendation, I advise you not to weld over anodized coatings. Instead, use a sanding or grinding disc to remove the anodizing in the area you want to weld." He based this on 3 factors -
    1 - Anodized coatings of aluminum oxide produced with chemical baths and electricity are as much as 1000 times thicker than naturally occurring anodized coatings on raw aluminum and is very porous and absorbs water which interferes with the welding process and usually results in a "porous, poorly flowing weld."
    2 - Thick anodized coatings serve as electrical insulators, complicating starting and maintaining a stable arc. Really thick coatings may actually prevent establishing an arc.
    3 - Aluminum melts at 1200F, but aluminum oxide melts at 3700F.
    This is the first time I've read this, but it makes me think the harder coating requires the higher amperages you mentioned to start the arc and the temps get so high compared to aluminum's normal melting temp that it is easy to melt through the pieces being welded. A stainless brush may not be enough to break thru a heavy anodized coating, so the link's author's suggestion top sand or grind off the coating makes sense for easier welding.
    I've always wished I knew how to weld, so I will be following your posts to gain some more insight into what is involved. Good luck and I'm sure you'll get there.
    The author of the piece works for Lincoln Electric, so I assume he knows hist stuff. He mentioned an alternative, saying "Or you can use a rather specialized technique that can produce good results in some cases. It requires quite a lot of practice to perfect and is used only in a very few industries, so I won’t go into detail here. " I wonder if he was referring to bump welding?

Edited once, last by BKL ().

• Been practicing everyday and think I’m one step closer to stacking some sweet ass dimes! :thumbsup: I lowered the amperage a bit and switched to purple tungsten (all I can say is WOW, what a difference in the overall welding experience the purple tungsten makes). TIG WELDING IS THE TITS!!!

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you...
    Signature.png

• Been practicing everyday and think I’m one step closer to stacking some sweet ass dimes! :thumbsup: I lowered the amperage a bit and switched to purple tungsten (all I can say is WOW, what a difference in the overall welding experience the purple tungsten makes). TIG WELDING IS THE TITS!!!

You’re getting there. Keep practicing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John
    '15 Nuc 'em 'til they glow orange
    '15 Ram 2500
    '16 Denali 289 RK
    '17 Mazda 3 HB

:ORANGESS:

SOG supporter

Yep....you've got some pretty nice Canadian dimes stacked up!!! I think I even see a couple Mexican Pesos sprinkled in there!! Now time to stack some US dimes!!! :thumbsup::00008172:

Those who will give up essential liberty to secure a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety

2016 Slingshot SL Vin# 8855 (born in September 2015) w/ Alpha Stage 2 Turbo @ 7.5psi

• I’m moving along at a snails pace, but made some headway tonight. Still need to add a rack for my brad point and standard bits, before I can call this cabinet complete.

*On a side note, even though the racks are made to fit on the smaller cleats inside the cabinet, I can still conveniently remove and rest them on the larger cleats on the walls. This is handy should I need to temporarily have some bits in another area of the shop.

I'm old enough to know better, but young enough to do it anyway.

• Lol! I have my planer and jointer, but there are situations when hand tools can’t be beat. Hand tools are often better for finer work, that large tools just can’t get to. You can never have enough hand planes.

I'm old enough to know better, but young enough to do it anyway.

• My day job has me SUPER BUSY these days. However, I did manage to squeeze in a little time tonight and bolt together all the scrap aluminum for my powder coating booth (if you can’t weld it... bolt it)! :thumbup:

Once the caster mounts are cut and installed, I’m going shopping for an oven to sit inside the base. Since Aluminum is great at dispersing heat, this design should work out nicely!

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you...
    Signature.png

• Images

• maxresdefault.jpg

Ah, yes. The first Harley to not leak oil.

WRONG!!!!!

When this masterpiece was produced all the wood was soaked in linseed oil prior to being cut, shaped, and carved. It was done in an attempt to keep it from splitting, warping etc. as the work of art aged. Till this very day oil seeps and drips from it and like most harley's it's usually right under the engine area! LMFAO

Ya'll know that is all a lie but,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,it was still funny!

Tim "Ghost" Ganey
    Winfield, Alabama
    205spam412spam2868

• WRONG!!!!!

When this masterpiece was produced all the wood was soaked in linseed oil prior to being cut, shaped, and carved. It was done in an attempt to keep it from splitting, warping etc. as the work of art aged. Till this very day oil seeps and drips from it and like most harley's it's usually right under the engine area! LMFAO

Ya'll know that is all a lie but,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,it was still funny!

Not so funny if you owned one. Some time ago now, but I think my original leaker did have an oil filter. I guess the patents expired on oil filtration, so they snuck it in. At least I had oil recirculation. Another fantastic innovation.