Superchargers vs. Turbos, again, part 2

• See what happens when you are gone for a week. You miss all sorts of fun. Good songs, unisex and rain gear too!

Yeah, but at least you attempted to get the thread back on track.

My question would be about oiling. I know the TC requires a feed and return line which means drilling a hole in the block or customizing the pan. What about supercharger?

• Hi All, I have a DDM SC. I love the results. I believe that, if you want to be one with the vehicle, your foot and the throttle need to be somewhat in sync. I want to have "consitant and reliable power", and the SC delivers it when I need it. Yes...the turbo systems are good. Yes they are quieter. IMO they aren't as reliable when it comes to the increased possibility of motor self destruction.

Drive so you can drive tomorrow, and remember that fun is always on the sunny side up.

• I think @Lui is correct, BUT, I don't think I'd give up my Turbo. It's a different beast and you do need to learn how to drive differently with it, but once you learn that, it's just second nature and I LOVE putting my foot on the gas and having the thing jump. I also like having the thing drive like stock and not be using all my gas until I want it to. It becomes very second nature. I do think there is some risk to it as a bit more can go wrong maybe, but that's what gauges are for. Maybe you don't need the gauges with a SC, but it would drive me nuts not having them as I like to know what the machine is doing. So I'd say it's a highly personal thing... and everyone knows Turbos are better anyway :POKESS:

:00000436:
    Success is a lousy teacher. It seduces smart people into thinking they can't lose. - Bill Gates

• Well my plan was to get all things needed to install my Supercharger together and install it over Thanksgiving.
    Pulled the Slingshot in and pulled the hood so to be ready to start a couple of weeks before the DDM kit arrived.
    Had underglow and wheel lights to install while waiting and wife is down for a while and cant ride so I thought why not.
    So now I thought would be a great time to read up on the install. Frist thing I see is to make sure I run two tanks of 91 octane before I install the Supercharger.
    Well crap!! So got in touch with DDM and asked if it was a must to do that and was told yes. That I could still install the kit
    but leave the belt off until I have ran the two tanks of 91 fuel through it.
    Going to be hard to have to wait to feel what the difference is while I run 500 miles to empty two tanks of gas.
    So what lesson have I learned from this, don't wait until your ready to install something before you read the install sheets.

• I think @Lui is correct, BUT, I don't think I'd give up my Turbo. It's a different beast and you do need to learn how to drive differently with it, but once you learn that, it's just second nature and I LOVE putting my foot on the gas and having the thing jump. I also like having the thing drive like stock and not be using all my gas until I want it to. It becomes very second nature. I do think there is some risk to it as a bit more can go wrong maybe, but that's what gauges are for. Maybe you don't need the gauges with a SC, but it would drive me nuts not having them as I like to know what the machine is doing. So I'd say it's a highly personal thing... and everyone knows Turbos are better anyway :POKESS:

So...turbos better? LoL , I love individuality. I am in process of installing a set of BOW gauges from Autometer. I am making a custom gauge pod... that is taking forever...sadly. There again...the individuality we have, making our rides... OURS!!! I leave you with this thought... I like steak and you like hotdogs... LoL

Drive so you can drive tomorrow, and remember that fun is always on the sunny side up.

• So...turbos better? LoL , I love individuality. I am in process of installing a set of BOW gauges from Autometer. I am making a custom gauge pod... that is taking forever...sadly. There again...the individuality we have, making our rides... OURS!!! I leave you with this thought... I like steak and you like hotdogs... LoL

LOL... yes, a hot dog is more aerodynamic and sleek. Faster food... :00008356:

:00000436:
    Success is a lousy teacher. It seduces smart people into thinking they can't lose. - Bill Gates

• So now I thought would be a great time to read up on the install. Frist thing I see is to make sure I run two tanks of 91 octane before I install the Supercharger.

Well crap!! So got in touch with DDM and asked if it was a must to do that and was told yes.

This is probably a stupid question, but....doesn't the manual call for 91 minimum anyway?

• so, for the uneducated here, what exactly is the difference from a drivers point of view? if we have two identical Slingshots with one having a DDM Supercharger with 6 pounds of boost and the other has a DDM turbocharger with 6 pounds of boost. If I didnt know which was which and you let me drive both wearing ear plugs blocking the sound what would be the obvious things that I would notice that were different in the driving experience from one to the other?

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• Couple items: first I would recommend running the highest octane you can get regardless of TC/SC/ normal aspirated, secondly, how the hell are you getting 250 miles out of a tank ?(

• so, for the uneducated here, what exactly is the difference from a drivers point of view? if we have two identical Slingshots with one having a DDM Supercharger with 6 pounds of boost and the other has a DDM turbocharger with 6 pounds of boost. If I didnt know which was which and you let me drive both wearing ear plugs blocking the sound what would be the obvious things that I would notice that were different in the driving experience from one to the other?

Each boosted unit delivers power differently. If I'm not mistaken...The turbo will give you a surge of power, whereas the SC gives you consistent power through the revs. The SC is a reliable...more issues can arise with the turbo. I chose SC because of the sporty driving I like to do. I love both types...

The key difference between the two boosted systems is the physical link the belt provides between engine rpm and the SC's boost level. A SC should always produce the same boost at the same engine rpm with higher rpms always producing more boost. A TC lacks this direct relationship and can produce different levels of boost at the same engine rpm. Finally,a TC typically produce more boost at lower rpms with boost leveling or falling off at higher rpms, depending on the sizing of the TC and the exhaust system.
    Simplest explanation is a SC produces gradually increasing boost as engine speed increases while a TC can dump a bunch of boost at lower rpms.

Edited once, last by BKL ().

• I have averaged about 28 miles per gall so 9x28 =250 miles.
    AS far as running 91 all the time I try to but a lot of stations in this state don't carry it.
    I spend most of my time on back roads and when I need gas I have to take what I can get!
    May have to be more proactive and start looking for fuel when I get to half a tank.