Superchargers vs. Turbos, again, part 2

• Hello,
    Just sent you a PM.

Thanks!
    Dave

Thanks. I keep trying to use the PM on this site, but it never sends my email to anyone. Yours came in though. Been trying to do so for a few months now. The email I sent this AM was to your "sales@ddmworks.com" email off of your web site. I tried to use the form submit version off of the contact us form on your web site for another question about the sway bars and never hear back, so figured I'd just send directly to the sales@ email and I guess that didn't work either. Let me know. Can send directly to me - saltyclown at gmail dot com.

:00000436:
    Success is a lousy teacher. It seduces smart people into thinking they can't lose. - Bill Gates

• @SaltyClownNY send me a message if your having any problems with the conversation feature. I know some people have their email feature turned off. But you should always be able to reach anyone via the conversation feature at the top of the screen.

Just let me know if I can help.....

Thanks @rabtech. I'll use that method next time. If you look at someone's profile, there is an "Email" button icon in the top right. That is what I've been using and doesn't look like it's working. I have used the conversation feature and it does indeed look to be functioning. - Todd

:00000436:
    Success is a lousy teacher. It seduces smart people into thinking they can't lose. - Bill Gates

• Ok, with a turbo you have adjustability....with a super charger you gave one setting....so where is that single setting compared to a turbos power...is it 1/4- 1/2- 3/4?

So put it in the ball park...I don’t expect exact calculations...

I drove a Mini Cooper S and I’m assuming the S means supercharged.... I was totally impressed with the power that car had with a smaller engine ....which sorry to say would probably out run my factory SS...

And since I’m not that mechanically adept...making turbo changes and anything else involved with that...a super charger single setting option just sounds simpler for a mechanically challenged individual...and I don’t have the money to dyno test and all the other technical things...

• I think this thread would relate to Manual tranny VS auto tranny, SC VS TC... and it boils down to this... MONEY. You can go conservative or you can go full tilt and blow some really big bucks.

• Either system as normally sold will produce about the same HP levels. The difference between a TC and an SC is how they make the added power and their overall costs. Currently, TC kits for the Slingshot cost less than SC kits. The most recent TC kit (from ZZ Performance) for the Slingshot offers a complete basic kit w/exhaust for $3K. Other turbo kits start closer to $4k with SC kits starting around $4.5-5K. Exhaust systems can add even more, depending on the exhaust.
    A turbo can produce higher levels of boost at lower rpms, sometimes with unexpected spikes of additional power. If the transmission is in a higher gear, an unexpected power spike can result in engine or trans damage. People like turbos because they can produce more power at lower rpms.
    A SC will always produce the same amount of extra power at the same rpm levels with maximum HP produced at the highest rpms. This repeatable HP vs rpm means the SC is unlikely to produce any unexpected spikes in power, making it easier to drive w/o unexpected surges. While SCs are generally less likely to result in engine damage, keep in mind that any boosted system (TC or SC) places additional stresses on an engine and may eventually result in engine damage.

Edited once, last by BKL ().