Hahn SST TurboSystem Group Buy

• kev wrote:

SSREAPER wrote:

Cobra66man wrote:

@SSREAPER don’t put the matches down just yet, I’m still waiting for 5 of my 7 boxes, and I’m about to go tilt. the straight up bullshit stories I get on a weekly basis he is wasting his time selling turbos, Hemingway would be proud.
      READY AND MORE THAN WILLING!!! :00007505:
      holy shit @SSREAPER if you ever have thoughts of calling me to buy something from my site, PLease, LOOSE MY NUMBER ! lmao. Aah what the hell,,, I got insurance , go for it !

@kev I am one of the easiest going guys there are....until I see one of my family being treated like crap and I consider all of my forum brothers and sisters my family. So as a vendor here and from what I have seen and read you are one of the good ones. I haven't purchased anything from you yet but I am currently working on an order ;)

Stay one of the good ones please and we will be great ...screw over my family and there won't be a rock you can hide under that won't find you :evil:

SSREAPER
      :BLACKSS: 2016 SL LE BLACK PEARL :HEADERSS: :COLDAIRSS: :COILOVERSS:
    • well guys I spent all week taking the turbo and oil pan off. I drilled the hole out completely and filed it smooth. It's bigger than the inside diameter of the fitting but not an issue. I finally bolted everything back up and started the car again. I still have smoke but it's not a lot. I let it idle and the smoke kept coming. After about 10 minutes I barely saw a tiny smidge of oil on the oil return line and turned the car off and wiped it down. I took the car out and it ran great with barely any smoke under no boost. The minute I entered boost, a huge cloud of smoke popped out and blinded the drivers behind me. Drove the car home with just a normal small amount of smoke puffing out (just like Casey's video). I got out and what do you know? I have oil splattered all over the side of my engine again from the gravity drain line. It's like under boost it blows oil everywhere. I even have oil dripping out of my exhaust tips. I just want to enjoy my new turbo but keep running into this smoking issue. Is it possible i am pressurizing my crankcase preventing the turbo oil from draining? Why am I the only one without a Port Fueled having this problem? Any suggestions guys? I am getting tired of taking my turbo system apart.
    • slingo wrote:

well guys I spent all week taking the turbo and oil pan off. I drilled the hole out completely and filed it smooth. It's bigger than the inside diameter of the fitting but not an issue. I finally bolted everything back up and started the car again. I still have smoke but it's not a lot. I let it idle and the smoke kept coming. After about 10 minutes I barely saw a tiny smidge of oil on the oil return line and turned the car off and wiped it down. I took the car out and it ran great with barely any smoke under no boost. The minute I entered boost, a huge cloud of smoke popped out and blinded the drivers behind me. Drove the car home with just a normal small amount of smoke puffing out (just like Casey's video). I got out and what do you know? I have oil splattered all over the side of my engine again from the gravity drain line. It's like under boost it blows oil everywhere. I even have oil dripping out of my exhaust tips. I just want to enjoy my new turbo but keep running into this smoking issue. Is it possible i am pressurizing my crankcase preventing the turbo oil from draining? Why am I the only one without a Port Fueled having this problem? Any suggestions guys? I am getting tired of taking my turbo system apart.
      What is your configuration again?
      Do you have Hahns intake manifold or are you running stock manifold?

If you are running the stock intake manifold, then you should not have to add a PCV to the system I don't believe, maybe @rabtech can comment on how the stock PCV in the intake manifold performs.

I only got smoke after a shut down and restart. But I also am running Hahn's intake manifold.

When you drilled and filed out the remaining material how big was the hole when you finished?

Another thing to check... if you are running Hahns intake, check to make sure your dipstick tube is completly seated into the block. If it's not then when you check your oil you would be over filled. Even with stock intake, it might be a good idea to check the oil level and the dipstick tube.

I pulled it apart so many times, I even installed another turbo when I was trouble shooting. It get easier with each iteration unfortunately :cursing:

EDIT: After posting I thought about Henry @Alpha had directions about drilling out a weep hole in the intake manifold between cylinders 2/3 if I remember correctly, which opens up the PCV built into the intake manifold again if I remember correctly.

Anyway that's probably not the issue your having, just throwing it out there
      John
      2017 SL LE Midnight Cherry
    • i am running stage 2 with stock manifold and side exit exhaust. The hole is way bigger than required. It opens up a lot after the threads so I doubt that is the problem. I am confident it is from the fitting attaching tongue gravity drain line. This is where I see oil but it is also splattered everywhere. While running idle there was no oil but after the short drive it was everywhere.

I will double check the dipstick tube today but it seemed seated. However, the oil was completely drained and the pan removed and I poured a 5 quart bottle of mobile 1 in so I know there is exactly 5 quarts in there. The level does read a fan high so I will check on that too. It seems so strange that no one else's Hahn smokes.

Looks like I will be pulling it apart again and giving Bill a call.
    • slingo wrote:

i am running stage 2 with stock manifold and side exit exhaust. The hole is way bigger than required. It opens up a lot after the threads so I doubt that is the problem. I am confident it is from the fitting attaching tongue gravity drain line. This is where I see oil but it is also splattered everywhere. While running idle there was no oil but after the short drive it was everywhere.

I will double check the dipstick tube today but it seemed seated. However, the oil was completely drained and the pan removed and I poured a 5 quart bottle of mobile 1 in so I know there is exactly 5 quarts in there. The level does read a fan high so I will check on that too. It seems so strange that no one else's Hahn smokes.

i am running stage 2 with stock manifold and side exit exhaust. The hole is way bigger than required. It opens up a lot after the threads so I doubt that is the problem. I am confident it is from the fitting attaching tongue gravity drain line. This is where I see oil but it is also splattered everywhere. While running idle there was no oil but after the short drive it was everywhere.

slingo wrote:

You stated that the oil level is high. Maybe lower it down to 1/2 to 3/4 full for trouble shooting. I took mine down just below half when I was testing.

I used a very large syringe and tubing and when right down the dipstick to remove some oil for my testing. Pull the drain plug to lower it a half quart or so would be a pita.
      John
      2017 SL LE Midnight Cherry
    • Those of us running that set-up are running oil levels that are about 1/2 quart less than normal. Make sure the level is in the "checked" are of the dipstick, but no higher than half way up that section. Running it that small amount less should not hurt the engine in any way, but will also aid in the oil being returned back to the pan due to a lower level in the pan
      If your carpet has to match the drapes,
      shouldn't your trailer match your Slingshot?
    • thanks guys! I am definitely at the top of the checkered section. I will take a half quart out and see what happens when i get home. I am out crabbing right now to drown my sorrows. Maybe the guy at the shop was right and it did flood in when he drilled the hole. Oh i also forgot to thank @TravAZ for his post on checking the oil pump pick up line. Looks like polaris had a bunch of extra sealant material stuck in the screen from the oil pan. See below.
    • slingo wrote:

thanks guys! I am definitely at the top of the checkered section. I will take a half quart out and see what happens when i get home. I am out crabbing right now to drown my sorrows. Maybe the guy at the shop was right and it did flood in when he drilled the hole. Oh i also forgot to thank @TravAZ for his post on checking the oil pump pick up line. Looks like polaris had a bunch of extra sealant material stuck in the screen from the oil pan. See below.
      Back when I had a garage I saw this a lot. I had one guy change his valve cover gasket. He used a bunch of sealant. It showed up on a wrecker. He was driving and lost oil pressure. The pickup was completely covered in big blue silicone worms. It’s a case of less is better.
    • A couple (hopefully not irrelevant :D ) thoughts -

I was wondering if you maybe had some oil already built up in the turbo fro your earlier experiences before you found the drain hole problem, but I'd think that should have slowly run out of the turbo while you were pulling the pan to clean out the drain hole.

If you have oil dripping from the exhaust pipe, there is no way oil from the gravity drain line should end up in the exhaust that I am aware of.

Have you been able to identify a leak point on the gravity drain line? At one of the connectors or perhaps somewhere in the line itself? Since it is a gravity drain line, I wouldn't expect enough pressure there to cause oil to spray all over the place, especially if you have made the actual block drain hole free flowing. Makes me wonder if there might be some kind of split in your drain line?

Because of how I positioned the drain line connection to the oil pan, it was concerned about how tightly I could get the connection, so I used Permatex High-Temperature Thread Sealant 59214 to seal the threads around my oil pan drain connection. I can't remember if I used it at the connection on the bottom of the turbo. I was careful to just use it on the threads and not get it inside the fittings. It's supposed to cure during use and I felt it was cheap insurance. I haven't seen any signs of an oil leak.

Here's Permatex' description of the product - "Permatex high-temperature thread sealant is an OEM-specified product designed to lock and seal threaded fittings on a range of applications. It prevents leakage from vibration, temperature cycling, and extreme pressures—and it won't shred or tear like PTFE tape. This high-temperature thread sealant is exclusively formulated to withstand up to 10,000 psi for fast, responsive curing on metal, tapered pipe thread fittings. The PTFE offers good antifriction properties and high resistance to chemicals and harsh environments. The sealant is not intended for use on plastic piping."
      Good Luck!
    • New

I wish you were closer to me so I could help you in person. I cant imagine what could be wrong. The turbo seal is a metal washer so you didn't hurt it I would guess.

If you had oil dripping out of the exhaust before you made this fix. You will be smoking for a while. It will burn out of the muffler for a while. And when you mash on the gas hard your blowing oil all around in that muffler. It will smoke even worse .it has taken me hours and hours to clean an exhaust system out after having oil in them.

I'm not saying it's your issue. But as long as you keep a check on the oil level I would run it for a day and get it hot good a few times.
    • New

I am with you @rabtech I thought the same thing until I saw oil all over my muffler and frame. I assumed it was just burning off and it was until I entered boost and checked again. It's splattering somewhere. It's either the turbo flange from the gravity drain line or the connection to the gravity drain line. I am going to check to see if that gasket is causing problems and the drain a quart of oil. Hopefully this solves the problem. I am inclined to believe it's a drainage issue. Before it poured out of the threads. Now I see a drop every 5 minutes.
    • New

To amend my previous post - The only way I can imagine for oil from the turbo to get into the exhaust is if it back up in the drain line to the point that it also backs up in the turbo and then gets forced past the seals in the turbo and into the exhaust side of the turbo. That oil could then be spread throughout the exhaust and, as @rabtech stated, would then take a while to clear out, so letting the system run for a bit may indeed help. And maybe try some of the Permatex High Temp Thread sealant since that might stop/reduce the slow oil leak you reported.
    • New

Your issue will not be fixed be dropping the oil level .5 or 1 qt. 5 qts is perfect, as you have less oil than the normal recommendation, as some is in the lines and turbo. If you were draining into the pan, this might be ok advice, but you are draining into the block above the oil level. I would personally skip this.

Two things are probably left on your list and then it is time to just drive it hard and burn all of the old oil out of all of the places it shouldn't have gone.

1. Take off your intake manifold and make sure the PCV orfice hole is drilled out correctly. Sometime from the factory the are somewhat clogged. Step 18.
      slingmods.com/pdf/alpha-turbo-charger-install.pdf

2. Take off your drain flange fitting and check the gasket. Maybe the gasket it sitting in there weird or isn't the right one and isn't allowing it to drain correctly. If it looks restrictive, take a razor blade or scissors and trim it up good so it isn't covering the hole at all. Maybe you don't have a -10 drain flange? All things to check and a good video below from Precision to guide you.
      Owner of Slingshot #263 that has some stock parts left on it. :D

Slingshotinfo.com is not affiliated with Polaris Industries the makers of Polaris Slingshot in any way.