Hahn SST TurboSystem Group Buy

• SaltyClownNY wrote:

My question is, are other systems in place in the past, how much of the smoking issue was there because of the engine pressure and just no one figured on looking in that direction. I have no clue the answer as I'm not that up on these systems nor been around the Slingshot as much as you all have, but I do find the concept interesting.
      Not sure I understand your question / statement. But I'll try to answer as far as I know:
      To my knowledge this is the first time a Hahn system has smoked and it's because of the PortFueler intake manifold replaced the stock intake manifold. Which means no PCV valve.

If you are referring to other systems like the Alpha smoke issue. The Alpha turbo sits lower as it's attached to the stock exhaust manifold and it uses the stock intake manifold that incorporates PCV. It smokes (Alpha Turbo) as @rabtech has very well documented requires a scavenger pump to adequately clear the oil out of and way from it's bearing system.
      John
      2017 SL LE Midnight Cherry
    • Casey_SS wrote:

SaltyClownNY wrote:

My question is, are other systems in place in the past, how much of the smoking issue was there because of the engine pressure and just no one figured on looking in that direction. I have no clue the answer as I'm not that up on these systems nor been around the Slingshot as much as you all have, but I do find the concept interesting.
      Not sure I understand your question / statement. But I'll try to answer as far as I know:To my knowledge this is the first time a Hahn system has smoked and it's because of the PortFueler intake manifold replaced the stock intake manifold. Which means no PCV valve.

If you are referring to other systems like the Alpha smoke issue. The Alpha turbo sits lower as it's attached to the stock exhaust manifold and it uses the stock intake manifold that incorporates PCV. It smokes (Alpha Turbo) as @rabtech has very well documented requires a scavenger pump to adequately clear the oil out of and way from it's bearing system.
      Maybe I should keep my mouth shut but it's not in my nature to do so.... a pig is a pig, I don't care if you put lipstick on it.... it's still a $&#%ing smelly pig!

I've been curious if Henry at Alpha closed up shop partly because of @rabtech determining his system has a flaw and he did not want to deal with it. I say this because about a week or so prior to Henry disappearing I spoke directly to him about obtaining a turbo system. I specifically mentioned the smoke issue that @rabtech documented. He said it is what it is but I could order his "Top Mount Turbo' for $5,800 which guarantees no smoking because it's top mounted. I told him at this point I'm not willing to order and I'll wait. There were some other items I asked him if he had stock on them. He indicated yes they were in stock. I paid him $80.98 To this day, I have no product or $$ back from Alpha. I thank God I did not give him the $5,800 starting price for his top mount turbo.

Cheers
      John
    • yup, you had told me about that. And in reality, Rabtech has a forged block on his. It is what it is. I opened it more for a conversation piece. Although mine didn't come with sheet metal LOL. There were specific reasons why I purchased this system. I like the intake on it, I like it has a separate fuel injector controller, I liked that it has 8 injectors total and not 4. But that is me!
      :00000436:
      Success is a lousy teacher. It seduces smart people into thinking they can't lose. - Bill Gates
    • Hahn SST TurboSystem Group Buy

My Alpha does not smoke, mine had Alpha header and not stock manifold but turbo is in same location. I don’t have any extra oil pumps like Rab had on his built motor. Mefi Bob tuned mine and has been using it for most turbo tunes now. Ask Bob how well it runs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    • Casey_SS wrote:

Casey_SS wrote:

SaltyClownNY wrote:

Not sure I understand your question / statement. But I'll try to answer as far as I know:To my knowledge this is the first time a Hahn system has smoked and it's because of the PortFueler intake manifold replaced the stock intake manifold. Which means no PCV valve.
      Maybe I should keep my mouth shut but it's not in my nature to do so.... a pig is a pig, I don't care if you put lipstick on it.... it's still a $&#%ing smelly pig!
      I've been curious if Henry at Alpha closed up shop partly because of @rabtech determining his system has a flaw and he did not want to deal with it. I say this because about a week or so prior to Henry disappearing I spoke directly to him about obtaining a turbo system. I specifically mentioned the smoke issue that @rabtech documented. He said it is what it is but I could order his "Top Mount Turbo' for $5,800 which guarantees no smoking because it's top mounted. I told him at this point I'm not willing to order and I'll wait. There were some other items I asked him if he had stock on them. He indicated yes they were in stock. I paid him $80.98 To this day, I have no product or $$ back from Alpha. I thank God I did not give him the $5,800 starting price for his top mount turbo.

Cheers
      That assumption in far from the case and I think you are reading into Rabtech's specific issue too much. There are a lot of Alpha turbo kits out in the wild, as this kit still was probably the most sold turbo system out there. Very few that I have seen personally have smoking issues and it is only during very specific driving behavior.

I can give a lot of clarity on this subject, as I have ran both kits and different drain line setups. But that would need to be in a different thread in an attempt to not hi-jack a Hahn vendor thread.
      Owner of Slingshot #263 that has some stock parts left on it. :D
    • I'm sure everything out there under certain conditions has something negative to it. I'm not sure if it was stated that all Alpha's smoke, just that some were know for it. Not sure I'd say no Hahn smokes either... I haven't heard that one had and in @Casey_SS and my case, it was, but a fix was found and I'd be surprised if future ones sold don't come with this fix already in play... although it seems like as of now, it's only a characteristic of ones with longer exhausts. The science and numbers are what I like either way. Just need to learn a hell of a lot more than I know today.
      :00000436:
      Success is a lousy teacher. It seduces smart people into thinking they can't lose. - Bill Gates
    • TravAZ wrote:

Casey_SS wrote:

Casey_SS wrote:

SaltyClownNY wrote:

Not sure I understand your question / statement. But I'll try to answer as far as I know:To my knowledge this is the first time a Hahn system has smoked and it's because of the PortFueler intake manifold replaced the stock intake manifold. Which means no PCV valve.If you are referring to other systems like the Alpha smoke issue. The Alpha turbo sits lower as it's attached to the stock exhaust manifold and it uses the stock intake manifold that incorporates PCV. It smokes (Alpha Turbo) as @rabtech has very well documented requires a scavenger pump to adequately clear the oil out of and way from it's bearing system.
      Maybe I should keep my mouth shut but it's not in my nature to do so.... a pig is a pig, I don't care if you put lipstick on it.... it's still a $&#%ing smelly pig!I've been curious if Henry at Alpha closed up shop partly because of @rabtech determining his system has a flaw and he did not want to deal with it. I say this because about a week or so prior to Henry disappearing I spoke directly to him about obtaining a turbo system. I specifically mentioned the smoke issue that @rabtech documented. He said it is what it is but I could order his "Top Mount Turbo' for $5,800 which guarantees no smoking because it's top mounted. I told him at this point I'm not willing to order and I'll wait. There were some other items I asked him if he had stock on them. He indicated yes they were in stock. I paid him $80.98 To this day, I have no product or $$ back from Alpha. I thank God I did not give him the $5,800 starting price for his top mount turbo.

Cheers
      That assumption in far from the case and I think you are reading into Rabtech's specific issue too much. There are a lot of Alpha turbo kits out in the wild, as this kit still was probably the most sold turbo system out there. Very few that I have seen personally have smoking issues and it is only during very specific driving behavior.
      I can give a lot of clarity on this subject, as I have ran both kits and different drain line setups. But that would need to be in a different thread in an attempt to not hi-jack a Hahn vendor thread.
      Please know my intention was in NO way to bash the Alpha Turbo system or anybody that bought the Alpha turbo. I only pointed out the coincidence of Alpha closing and @rabtech post.

But, I am bashing Henry for keeping my money.
      John

Slingshotinfo.com is not affiliated with Polaris Industries the makers of Polaris Slingshot in any way.