Oil drain plug

• I have a question for all of my Peeps. Would attaching an earth magnet to the oil pan drain plug do anything for me, and would it cause any issues with the electrical system? Please chime in.

Drive so you can drive tomorrow, and remember that fun is always on the sunny side up.

• There are several companies that make drain plugs with the magnet already on them.

YES the are a very good idea!

NO they will not have any ill effect on your electrical system.

That's my .o2 and I'm sticking to it!

Tim "Ghost" Ganey
    Winfield, Alabama
    205spam412spam2868

• Generally, magnetic oil pan drain plug bolts cost less than $15. Should not affect your electricals, but on an aluminum motor like the Slingshot, there isn't a whole lot of steel/iron for the magnet to work on.
    This is one of those, do it if you feel like it mods.

• Generally, magnetic oil pan drain plug bolts cost less than $15. Should not affect your electricals, but on an aluminum motor like the Slingshot, there isn't a whole lot of steel/iron for the magnet to work on.
    This is one of those, do it if you feel like it mods.

Respectfully disagree, at least in the aluminum motor comment. I haven't put a magnetic drain plug on mine either, although it is something I planned to do but haven't as of yet. On this subject, I feel that it won't hurt and could help, along with it's a cheap and easy thing to do.

As for the aluminum engine, nearly every friction part in the engine is not aluminum. Just because the block and head is aluminum, most everything that mates with movement is still steel or iron. Rings, main and rod bearings, cams, valves (seats and springs), timing chain.... all are steel or iron. The biggest difference when comparing wear and possible shavings in this engine compared to say, a small block Chevy, is the block itself and the cylinder walls (which I'm fairly certain are aluminum). The block itself has nothing to do with the wear, although the cylinder walls likely would. Still, there are many steel and iron friction mates in this engine, much like any engine from 40 years ago.

• I understand using a magnetic oil drain plug, especially on older engines which lacked the much tighter manufacturing tolerances common to modern engines. Manufacturing tolerances are so good today that there is little likelihood of appreciable material wearing during break-in or normal operation once you're past the first oil change, but insurance is great if it comforts you. Looking at @Bigdogs post above, I like the idea of using the magnetic drain plugs in the trans and especially in the right-angle drive given Poalris' design choices for that unit!

Edited once, last by BKL ().

• I bought the magnetic drain plugs from slingmods....I installed the engine one last oil change...but I had to remove it to install the fomoto

The angle drive has a factory magnetic plug but the slingmods one is twice as strong.