Forced Induction Group Buy?

Once again ......... GM had a Turbo version of the Ecotec in Europe (Saab and Opel..used also by Lotus) and on US sold Saab's since the 1st generation 2.0L LK9 motor designed and on the road well before the '03 SEMA show ..... as well as a turbo version sold on every generation since ......

...... bored-squared

All true, but the introduction of the Ecotec to North American nameplates is to what I allude, as at the time the North American and European divisions were much more separate entities than today (we are going back some 15 years here). This Ecotec engine introduction across traditionally American nameplates was a sea change for GM North America, and a neat story in itself which I've described in great detail elsewhere. Said North American introduction was accompanied by our turbo versions at the SEMA show, as per GM's directive.

The very first Ecotec-branded engine, the nameplate being rolled out in 2002, was the engine upon which we pioneered aftermarket Ecotec boost on in the USA, via the cars GM donated to us for SEMA exposure, as well as for aftermarket development. It was the lowly L61 2.2L, which we'd ultimately take to 750 HP in our racing operations. These engines actually had little in common with the European SAAB version. To that end, GM's first foray into boosting Ecotec in the USA was in fact not even a turbo, but a supercharged engine, the LSJ as would come later in Cobalt. One of our earlier specialties was tearing off the compromised Cobalt factory superchargers and placing a turbosystem in its place, a trend which has seen great success since. To that end, GM again followed our lead...shelving the supercharged Cobalt in favor of a turbocharged version, some four years after we'd pioneered turbocharging on Cobalt.

Similarly, Solstice and Sky were also introduced as non-turbos, a shortcoming which we immediately latched upon, creating turbosystems for them that are still popular to this day. Our early boosted work with that 2.4L engine (we were the first to boost it in both Solstice/Sky and Cobalt), is of course what's led to our offerings today with Slingshot. Three years later would come the factory turbo versions of Solstice and Sky, which bear more than a passing resemblance to our pioneering efforts, as I've outlined above.

• I’m happy with my SC. Turbo’s are pretty amazing though it’s pretty cool to see twin turbo small block making over two thousand horsepower. Not cheap to build but to see the big turbo cars in person shocked me by how much power they can produce.

• I’m happy with my SC. Turbo’s are pretty amazing though it’s pretty cool to see twin turbo small block making over two thousand horsepower. Not cheap to build but to see the big turbo cars in person shocked my by how much power they can produce.

Really happy with mine. Wondering how I can attach another on mine :whistling: , but it will probably have to go on @HeRSlings. :00009249:

• The very first Ecotec-branded engine, the nameplate being rolled out in 2002, was the engine upon which we pioneered aftermarket Ecotec boost on in the USA,

..... glad to see you edited to specify "in the USA" ...

Since after they spent half a Billion dollars to acquire Saabs turbo and digital engine control knowledge in the '90's GM built a turbo version of the 2.2L Ecotec used by Lotus, Opel, Vauxhaul, and Daewoo from 1999 (for a 2000 model) to 2005 .....

the-real-reason-why-general-motors-once-sold-a-turbo-lo-1788600405

........... nerd-squared

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......

• Yes, the USA market was my entire intention. I could see some clarification was needed, thus the edit.

Replacing the Twin-Cam and the dated 2.2 OHV as the new GM base inline four, the significantly more sophisticated Ecotec was introduced here across the US brands of Chevrolet, Pontiac and Oldsmobile in 2003 (with the remaining US and more global brands to follow in subsequent years), at which time we promptly added turbocharging to it...in of all things, the lowly Cavalier and Sunfire (progenitors of Cobalt to follow). The Cavalier instantly entered the 12-second range in the 1/4 mile with our new bolt-on Ecotec TurboSystem, much to our delight. The Sunfire stayed in our stable for a few more years, ultimately a 650-whp father-and-son project with my then-teenage son Adam. He'd manage a 10.5 second 1/4 mile @ 140 MPH with it, all with that base L61 Ecotec, heavily breathed on of course!

GM's Ecotec Turbos would bow four model years later, in 2007, on the same vehicle models we'd already been turbocharging for years.

• So no blown motors from superchargers ever? That is pretty amazing

The Alpha supercharger kit has claimed 2 engines that we know of, one customer in Arizona, which seems to have been caused by a bad set of injectors before Alpha was flow matching sets. The other engine we know of was @jaytee that has gone through a couple engines with his kit. His first engine most likely was caused by the MAP sensor blowing out of the intake manifold. The second engine most likely failed because he was seeing 15psi of boost and lean fueling on that Alpha base kit when we dyno tested here after replacing the engine.

We did destroy the engine on the Slingshot we used for tune development, as we pushed that engine a little too far while it was running full stock exhaust and stock catalytic converter, which allowed us to know how far we can push a completely stock exhaust Slingshot. We replaced that engine and it has had no problems since with a production tune and hardware. As far as we know no production supercharger kit from us has caused an engine failure.

• @Dave@DDMWorks, just wanting to hear from you all, but there's a certain Sling in Houston that may have had some issues, but just wondering the story from the vendor side...

For the forum: I bold, italicized "may" because I don't really know, so just asking...

He had a crack develop in the lost foam cast LE5 block, but that is definitely not a production kit on his Slingshot. We have had blocks develop these cracks about 10 times over the years on the LE5. The LE5/LE9 uses a lost foam casting, which is why it looks like styrofoam on the side of the block. What we have seen over the years are small cracks develop in the blocks internally occasionally, which can not be repaired unfortunately. We built up an LDK block for him, which is sand cast and is much stronger as a replacement. That Slingshot is also very far from any production kit - bigger supercharger than the stock kits, water/meth, cams, Haltech, etc. Like I said, none of our production kits that I am aware of have had any engine issues though.

• He had a crack develop in the lost foam cast LE5 block, but that is definitely not a production kit on his Slingshot. We have had blocks develop these cracks about 10 times over the years on the LE5. The LE5/LE9 uses a lost foam casting, which is why it looks like styrofoam on the side of the block. What we have seen over the years are small cracks develop in the blocks internally occasionally, which can not be repaired unfortunately. We built up an LDK block for him, which is sand cast and is much stronger as a replacement. That Slingshot is also very far from any production kit - bigger supercharger than the stock kits, water/meth, cams, Haltech, etc. Like I said, none of our production kits that I am aware of have had any engine issues though.

Thanks Dave!

And that last part, is why y'all have been and will be on my list... In addition to your top notch reputation and customer service!

:thumbsup::00000436: