Head unit install with back up camera

• FIRST OFF I want to give a big shout out to all the people that helped me put this together and the confidence to make it come true. The people on this forum are truly helpful good people!

This was my weekend project to install a Boss head system, back up camera, Scosche double din dash kit, a Blue Sea fuse block, and West marine switches on my 2016 base model.

The Boss unit is NOT water proof but I am a Southern California rider and the water issue was not much of a concern. I will be looking into buying/making a cover for it to protect it from the sun/theft but that is for later. I love the look of the dash kit. The Blue Sea unit is from West Marine and the switches too. The Switches are the “Look” I was looking for and they FIT so nice. I installed and wired the three extra switches now because the thought of pulling out the dash one more time was not something I wanted to do. I ran the wires to the fuse block for later use for whatever mod’s may come my way.

Looked everywhere to find a dash mount that looked as good but could not find one. I was hesitant to get this because of the install. You have to take the dash apart to do the install and it seemed daunting from the PDF. In hindsight I would do it again. It came out amazing! Just what I wanted. Make sure you buy a push pin removal tool kit. I got mine from the local O'reilly auto parts store for about ten bucks. YOU NEED THIS! The only thing that I would have liked to have Scosche address that would make it better is the mounting brackets. They are plastic not steel and the small screws need to be really tight and a longer screw with a gripping washer I think would make a lot of difference. I used it the way it came and came down on the screws hard so I hope it all stays tight.

On another note - the PDF is great in the install process form Slingmods. Pay close attention to the starter wire when you pull up the dash. Unclip it first and then the flasher ( I have the 2016 base model) The flasher clip is attached to the mode switch down below on the dash. Polaris could have spent 10 cents more and made this wire about 4-6 inches longer and made EVERYONES life easier. The Mode switch came off during the install and the male clips got bent. I have big hands and getting down in there was a pain. I finally pulled out the switch to see what was going on to find the bent part. A pair of pliers and all set to go. ANOTHER set of wires to watch out for is the button on the lower dash just up from the mode. It has two wires and when getting the mode switch installed they came off - and came off easy. Crimp them again and tape them up and pull them out of the dash through the hole on the install - you won't regret it. AND ONE MORE THING - buy the Scosche wiring harness. Worth its weight in gold if you are installing an aftermarket camera. Getting down into the transmission to to the wire clip on the top right is fun but this harness makes it all come together seamlessly. I now have back up camera in reverse AND full time if I want it. Scosche tells you where the wire clip is but does not tell you how it clips in. You have to unclip the stock clip on the top right transmission ( two wires black/white) then use the two plugs on the harness to branch the two together. I am a wrench guy not a electric guy - I had to look at this for a min to figure it out.
    All in all spent the better part of a day doing this - a challenge but had fun - you won't regret your time as your ride will be amazing after!

We’ll get there when we get there and not a minute before. 😎