New Tires from General

• Hey Joey when we going riding again? Don’t think I will today cause it is kinda chilly out right now

I am free most days ending in Y... That is until I decide to take up employment. Still playing stay at home dad and monitoring the progress of the back yard oasis. Next 60* weather day, let's meet up for a ride and lunch.

Joey | 2016.5 Base Black :BLACKSS:
    "Defensor Vindex" | "Born of Freedom" | "None Shall Pass" | "Deter. Defend. Respond." | "Supra Et Ultra" | "Valor Honor" | "Si Ego Certiorem Faciam... Mihi Tu Delendus Eris"

"Dating a skinny chick is fun until you hit 110mph in the Slingshot and she flies out like a napkin... thumbsup.png" - 2W2X1

• I still have the AS-03 installed on a second set of wheels and can tell you... swapping it out for the stock Kenda and doing the same stretch of road around me, it breaks free much faster than the Kenda. I really wanted to love the tire and thought I would based on the reviews I read here when shopping for the right all around tire.

I'm sorry that you had a bad experience with this tire. My only question is how old was the date code on it? I've only had the one, and it was made only 4 months before I put it on. I found it loud to spin also, but that's where the similarity ends. Normally a tire that will spin without bawling is a harder tire, and will also break traction easier, both on hard acceleration and on corners. That is what I found with the AS-03. The stock would slide easier in the turns pushing hard (and I do love the twisty roads) before the AS-03. My General was slick until break in, but that happened in the first 50 or so miles. Just wondered if you got an older tire that was getting hard rubber from sitting. Other than that, I'm at a loss. I still love the tire, and plan to go to the newer RS-05 I think it is. Not sure it's available yet though.

• Ok. I know a lot of people like General Tires but I have been unable to bring myself to buy one for 18 years now. I had 13 General Tires with tread seperation over several years before that.
    I worked at Bekaert here in Rogers for 4 years 18 years ago. We made steel cord for tires. Made cord for Good Year(Z rated), Michelin, and General at the time. They make it for a few additional companies now. In a 62000 meter spool of wire Good Year only allowed 3 welds, Michelin 6 and General allowed 20.
    I learned a lot about how steel cord is put together for tires and it is actually very interesting. Learned how it works and how it helps hold tires together.
    I checked with a friend of mine who just retired from Bekaert a year ago and General now buys better wire from them (10 welds) but they get their Z rated cord from a cheaper source. And I have no idea what their rubber compound is.
    I hope you General tire users keep having good luck but with my experience I’m afraid I will stick with other brands. And please remember, THIS IS JUST MY OPINION. The General engineer I talked to back then gave me a lot of unsatisfactory reasons for my issues with the tires. Also, I didn’t buy all those tires. Several were on the cars when I bought it including one new vehicle. GM likes the price of Generals.

• I've never had a set of Generals come on a GM, only Goodyear, Michelin, or Bridgestone. Just my experience, and I've had GM for several decades now. That may change, as I'm very frustrated with the fact that while it's American owned, that just appears that the profits go to an American company. My wife's 2015 Equinox..... made in Mexico. My 2015 Impala..... made in Canada. my 1994 Chevy Z71.... also made in Canada. Not saying they aren't good vehicles, but I know NO ONE that works at any of these plants. Meanwhile, I know of over 40 households near me that work for Honda or Toyota either directly or indirectly as parts suppliers. Which car company is "USA Made?" It's a gray line, but seems to favor the Japanese companies where I stand.

Back to the tires. I had Firestone 500's 30 years ago. The tread separated. I had Goodyear's on my Impala last November, when the tread separated. I'm not standing up for General, I've only ran the one tire and only on the rear of the SS. My tire dealer (smaller, independent and owned locally by the person that works in there also) recommended it, and for me it has been great. That said, I bought Coopers for the Impala (recommended by same dealer).

Tires seem to fluctuate every few years between quality and cost. SEMA rated Cooper and General as best groundbreaking tires at the 2017 show for use in 2018. I'm really happy with the Coopers I got. We'll see what is out there later in the spring when I go looking for all three for the Sling.

Cooper and General Were 'Best New Tires' at the SEMA Show - Retail - Modern Tire Dealer

• Yeah @Goats_Hogs, tire building processes change all the time. However 4 years ago my father-in-law bought a new Buick and it had General tires. Maybe its like my 73 Fiat 850 I had in 78. When I needed a new emergency flasher switch I went to the dealer to get one and my switch that had never been changed came from a 75. They told me that whenever Fiat used up all of a parts in stock they just started using the next ones that they had in. Guess they had already run out of 74 switches also. :S Seems that was common with all their Fiats and Alphas.
    I'm sure that with today's regs. and lawsuits General has improved their process. I just had enough issues that I don't even want to try them. But...I have had 9 Fords and every time I said I would never get another. Now I am really considering the F150. :D

• My only question is how old was the date code on it?

Since it was a discontinued tire, that was the first thing I checked on the tires I special ordered at Americas Tire. The date codes put them only a few months old at the time of purchase. It isn't an old tire that had been sitting issue.

Joey | 2016.5 Base Black :BLACKSS:
    "Defensor Vindex" | "Born of Freedom" | "None Shall Pass" | "Deter. Defend. Respond." | "Supra Et Ultra" | "Valor Honor" | "Si Ego Certiorem Faciam... Mihi Tu Delendus Eris"

"Dating a skinny chick is fun until you hit 110mph in the Slingshot and she flies out like a napkin... thumbsup.png" - 2W2X1

• They build general tires here where I live in summer and my friends that work there get to buy 3 sets a year at about half price so I will be checking with them to see what they can do for my size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• I'm sorry that you had a bad experience with this tire. My only question is how old was the date code on it? I've only had the one, and it was made only 4 months before I put it on. I found it loud to spin also, but that's where the similarity ends. Normally a tire that will spin without bawling is a harder tire, and will also break traction easier, both on hard acceleration and on corners. That is what I found with the AS-03. The stock would slide easier in the turns pushing hard (and I do love the twisty roads) before the AS-03. My General was slick until break in, but that happened in the first 50 or so miles. Just wondered if you got an older tire that was getting hard rubber from sitting. Other than that, I'm at a loss. I still love the tire, and plan to go to the newer RS-05 I think it is. Not sure it's available yet though.

My thoughts also

• I’m of the opinion that all season tires are not the best choice for our Slings.
    http://www.popularmechanics.co…season-vs-summer-9647443/

Not so simple, to me.

I have friends in Europe, who state that there is no such thing as an all season tire. They stock one set of rims with winter tires, another set of rims for the rest of the year.

I'm not in the mood to do that with my sling. All seasons for me. Of course, I don't get far in the snow, but I do ride in the cold - which does affect tire performance. I ride Goodyear Eagle F1 All Seasons, which are a huge upgrade from the stock Kendas.