Exhaust discussion

• I'm looking at the classic triad: CAI, Header, Exhaust (and tune eventually). I know a lot of you guys have worn multiple systems in the search to find what's best you you...so help a brother out and talk about the pros and cons of different combo's. It seems like most people are going with the Alpha CAI, 1320 header (opposing arguments welcome, that's just what I see mentioned most often)...but the exhaust...
    I've been looking at the Alpha side, the Fab, and the 1320...thoughts? I've been leaning toward the Fab (never actually heard it), because it's adjustable and I lean toward the loud persuasion. Love to hear your feedback!

PS...Yes I know, I should go to an event and see which I like best...but the first one I can go to is in AR in Sept...and I just ain't gonna wait that long...

Supporter H&P Animal Alliance

• Fell asleep reading your post (guess I was "exhaust"ed!)...seriously though, I've got the Alpha CAI and 1320 header. I tried various exhausts, one of them was the Fab Factory. The Fab is a well built muff but out of the box the Fab is too loud even if you like loud and has a dumper type sound. I tried several baffles and got the noise levels reasonable BUT I still didn't think much of the sound and the backpressure was noticeable. Wound up blowing 2 of the baffles out and even tried a tip baffle and ceramic coated everything. I eventually purchased the Alpha variable exhaust which is, by far, the best one I tested. Well built, can have pretty much any sound level you like and it has a sweet tone throughout the range. You can feel a power improvement with this setup that was lacking in other muffs I tried.

• Have to agree with Flybuddy. I was able to give my new setup a full test tonight. The combo of Alpha CAI, 1320 header and Alpha variable exhaust is a very noticeable improvement in performance across the board. The exhaust is excellent and exactly what I was looking for. You can go from quiet to really loud with the push of a button. When going from fully closed to fully open there is an improvement in throttle response. Definitely easier to break the rear tire loose and passing is much better. Absolutely love it.

I was planning on getting a tune with it but not sure I need it and am really wondering if there is even much left to wring out of it performance wise. I would want to know what I would really be gaining for the additional $400.

• I use the Alpha Variable and very happy with it.

You can listen to some of my track day videos with it wide open in Race Mode here: Summit Point, WV Track Day (Sun, Apr 24th 2016, 8:00am - 8:00pm)

A video of the button we configured from the remote so you can control it from the dashboard. When it is shut completely it is very quiet anywhere. I love the sound it has in the middle "performance mode" as its refereed to.

• Jdin, do you have any sort of write up for setting up the in dash switch for the Alpha adjustable exhaust? That would be so much better than the dangling key chain! Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!

• Question; the Alpha site says the variable exhaust isn't compatible with the 1320 header
    @Flybuddy and @JDSKY how are ya'll making it work?

Henry told me I needed to bore out the mounting holes so you can move the exhaust on the 1320 and it will not hit the bolt.

I am hoping to install my new headers soon. Been sitting in my living room now way to long.

• Have to agree with Flybuddy. I was able to give my new setup a full test tonight. The combo of Alpha CAI, 1320 header and Alpha variable exhaust is a very noticeable improvement in performance across the board. The exhaust is excellent and exactly what I was looking for. You can go from quiet to really loud with the push of a button. When going from fully closed to fully open there is an improvement in throttle response. Definitely easier to break the rear tire loose and passing is much better. Absolutely love it.

I was planning on getting a tune with it but not sure I need it and am really wondering if there is even much left to wring out of it performance wise. I would want to know what I would really be gaining for the additional $400.

Speakin' just for me, not them boys in Tennessee, got a thing or two to tell ya all. I got the ECM tune from Bob. Prior to the custom burn, it was like I had two power bands. Stomp the throttle, nice smooth accel and then short range spike, smooth then another spike. Kept me guessing as to how to play that out with the gears. With the tune, I now have a consistent power curve throughout the RPM range. And the slightly increased idle, ended the stutter-flutter at stops.
    The biggest problem I have with the tune is weighing the cost of removal, time, and mo dollars should I have to re-flash it for other reasons... such as the upcoming Polaris steering issue.

Slingshot Flyer! Well, of course it's red... :REDSS:

• Speakin' just for me, not them boys in Tennessee, got a thing or two to tell ya all. I got the ECM tune from Bob. Prior to the custom burn, it was like I had two power bands. Stomp the throttle, nice smooth accel and then short range spike, smooth then another spike. Kept me guessing as to how to play that out with the gears. With the tune, I now have a consistent power curve throughout the RPM range. And the slightly increased idle, ended the stutter-flutter at stops.
    The biggest problem I have with the tune is weighing the cost of removal, time, and mo dollars should I have to re-flash it for other reasons... such as the upcoming Polaris steering issue.

From What I understand when they flash the steering issue it does not touch the tune.

• I ran the Uptone trio and liked it. Changed to the Alpha Variable, the ability to change the sound and performance with the push of a button is awesome.
    I still have the trio and baffles if you're interested, I'll make you a good deal.
    It will work with the 1320 header.
    Both exhausts are far better than the stock pot bellied stove.

• I ran the Uptone trio and liked it. Changed to the Alpha Variable, the ability to change the sound and performance with the push of a button is awesome.
    I still have the trio and baffles if you're interested, I'll make you a good deal.
    It will work with the 1320 header.
    Both exhausts are far better than the stock pot bellied stove.

Got the Uptone Trio installed. Running the closed baffle. Wanted a something a little louder than stock. Think I would very much like the Alpha Variable, one button shopping sound.
    Two things holding me back... First, price would again be as much as I paid for the Uptone Trio... Two and more important, came up through the seventies and eighties... a lot of EPA requirement for cars dealing with valve separation between exhaust and intake... saw so many of these freeze up. Wondering if the Alpha Variable will see the same issues?

Slingshot Flyer! Well, of course it's red... :REDSS:

• I had the 1320 header and the Uptone trio installed this week. I started with no baffles. It definately opened it up and let it breathe. I can tell a difference in power. It's borderline too loud for me and I like loud exhaust. I'm afraid my wife is not going to like it. How much does it reduce db by installing baffles?

Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing.
    Moderation is for cowards.