Power for air horn

• Does anyone know if I can get power for my new horn relay under hood as opposed to routing wire to battery?

You could if you are not using the fog light circuit. You might also use the stock horn power wire. Be aware that some of the after market horns with the compressor pull 11 amps, that is what my Rivco dual trumpet pulls.

• The “easy” way to do it will be to run a hot connection from the battery to a fuse block in your front engine bay area. Most big air horns run on a 20A circuit so you probably want to feed that fuse block using 6AWG wire so you can power other stuff if you need to.

I ran a 2AWG (100A fuse) from the battery, to a splitter (6AWG) that feeds a 4-port “always on” fuse block. Add a 20A fuse and you’re good to go! :)

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you...
    Signature.png

• I have a Wolo 619 Single tone horn and run it off the original horn wiring. While it technically draws more current than the original horn, since the horn is rarely used for any extended length of time, everything works. There is a chance that something could go wrong at some point, especially if the horn button gets stuck in the ON position and running a separate relay-activated circuit should provide more power and the horn should technically be louder, but I haven't noticed any problems in the last 2 years. It's one of those 'I plan on eventually getting around to fixing it' things.

• @BKL In my line of work I have figured out that anything that has been factory installed including wires. Companies out there use the Bare minimum for wire sizes. With that being said I would try to change out that wire to your horn ASAP. Being as you mentioned you have had it hooked up for 2 years already. You could melt the insulation on the factory wire drawing to much power through it to operate your new horn.

#7Cities1Party....Sun's Out Slingshot's Out.... :thumbup::SLRSS:

• My 3 years of High School Electronics training agrees with your assessment, especially after the original headlight wiring fiasco. I just haven't gotten around to it. Industry practice often uses undersized wiring for short-term, intermittent applications. I know I should take the time to fix it, but I just haven't gotten around to it. It's hard to believe it's been 50 years since I started High School!

• Thanx for all the input for this novice slinger! Appreciate all help I can get.

• Thanks for all the input from everyone. I purchased and installed the Flosser air horn from SlingMods. Was very easy, except for connection at battery. That is a very poor battery connection system. You would have thought they would have used a battery with side terminals.........ya think! Anyway, long story short, they sound fantastic........both horns now.