Slingshots in the Rockies 2018.

• Are the fires currently in Colorado expected to have any effect on the rally? @ivor, what happens if this event needs to be cancelled? How much notice can we expect?

4 Wheels move the body, 3 Wheels move the soul!

• Are the fires currently in Colorado expected to have any effect on the rally? @ivor, what happens if this event needs to be cancelled? How much notice can we expect?

Currently there are 2 fires that are within 30-60 min of the area. The Bocco fire is the bigger of the two at 415 acres burned, this one is West of Avon. This fire is roughly 50% contained. The other is around Silverthorne which is East of Avon...this it she Buffalo Fire and is currently at 86 acres. There has been no new growth and is roughly 20% contained. My guess is both of these fires will be out by the time SSITR gets in to full swing. Air quality will be ok, just a little dustier and smokier than usual.

The 416Fire and the Burro Fire are the big ones...and they are the big fires...those 2 combined are roughly 30K acres. Bad news is, they are not expecting to have 100% containment until July 15. The good news is, it's about 5.5 hours from Avon and should not impact the event. At this point, I'm praying for good weather and more moisture so the fire fighters can get through this all safely. I am also praying that people stop being idiots. only 11% of Forest fires in the nation are caused by Mother Nature. The rest is typically smokers, careless campers, and other man made situations.

There were major fires last year and SSITR was still a big hit. I expect the same this year.

Actively looking for another sling...It is time...

• Update: Fires in the area have been put out. There are only 3 current fires going on, all in the south west part of the state. It should not hinder this event at all.

For some I don't think the fires were ever a concern but they were interested in the "smoke"!

Tim "Ghost" Ganey
    Winfield, Alabama
    205spam412spam2868

• For some I don't think the fires were ever a concern but they were interested in the "smoke"!

Visibility has been normalish. If the winds kick in the right direction...you'll get a little haze, but air quality has been normal Colorado summer air quality.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Polaris Slingshot Forum mobile app

• Visibility has been normalish. If the winds kick in the right direction...you'll get a little haze, but air quality has been normal Colorado summer air quality.
    Sent from my SM-G965U using Polaris Slingshot Forum mobile app

I don''t think visibility from the smoke was the issue either. Most can't see past the bong anyway! LOL

Tim "Ghost" Ganey
    Winfield, Alabama
    205spam412spam2868

• We are leaving Arkansas Friday the 6th Will be arriving Saturday the 7th for the slingshots in the rockies. Looking forward to some grate rides and meeting some new friends.We have never been to this event but we are looking forward to attending it. We will be staying at the host hotel until Sunday the 15th.

• Just a quick update on fires in the state... Firefighters are amazing people and should be thanked for all they do. We were at 9 active fires, but there has been huge headway in getting them under control. The big fire is the Spring fire and as of Thursday they were only at 5% containment...as of this morning, over 40% containment.

Now to the 3 fires that are "close" to Avon:

Lake Christine Fire - 2300 acres burning with no containment. This is a small fire on the outskirts of Aspen. This one could impact the Independence Pass Ride. We may just go up and come back the way we came to avoid Aspen since they are looking at possible evacuations. This will be a last minute decision thing.

Turret Fire - Very small fire, only 6 acres, but is just a few miles north east of Glenwood Springs. No new growth since June 28th. Shouldn't be an issue at all, although the forest department has stated they recommend the public avoid the area.

Sugarloaf Fire - 1245 acres burning, looks like the plan is to keep it in the high country and keep suppression tactics to ensure it doesn't spread. This one is shouldn't be an issue.

Last fire to touch base on is:

Weston Pass Fire: This is for all those coming in on 24. This one is at 13K acres burning. Best part about it, it's now 52% contained. Big jump up from the 20% it was contained at the end of last week.

Air quality has been getting better every day as the fires are getting wrangled in. Keep in mind...nature's creatures evacuate fire areas just like people...keep your eyes pealed, animals will cross highways and make their own path.

See you all Wednesday!