Can anyone recommend a Pole Barn Contractor (North East)

• Hi All,

Can anyone recommend a reputable pole barn contractor in the north east? I love my sling, but am getting tired of storing it in a storage unit with no electric for the tender or lighting to do any mods.

Living in the Pocono Mountains, it is pretty much stored from Nov to April. There’s currently about 8 inches of snow outside.

I am not handy by any means, otherwise I’d try buying one of those pole building kits, therefore, I’ll just stick to some light modding and keep wishing for spring.

Thanks in advance!

• No, but if you want to ship it me down here in Florida, I'll make sure the battery stays fully charged and fluids lube all the vital parts. let's see, 500 miles a week should do it. right? Plus I won't even charge you for the service

Nobody gets outta here ALIVE

• Look into one of those steel buildings, like the one you use for a carport.
    You can get them fully enclosed with a garage door. If you use gravel for a floor you have a pretty inexpensive storage building.
    You can add to them over time - pour a concrete floor / insulation / power

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• Thanks for the idea. I did look into a carport that you could then enclose, however by the time it was installed and then sides, a rear, roll up door, etc; it came to more than a pole building. Looking at a pole building right now (standard 24x24 two car garage) for 7k. No windows, 1 man door, and 1 9x7 standard garage door included in that price. No overhang on eaves or gutters. They nickel and dime for the basics. However, that’s life.

• Thanks for the idea. I did look into a carport that you could then enclose, however by the time it was installed and then sides, a rear, roll up door, etc; it came to more than a pole building. Looking at a pole building right now (standard 24x24 two car garage) for 7k. No windows, 1 man door, and 1 9x7 standard garage door included in that price. No overhang on eaves or gutters. They nickel and dime for the basics. However, that’s life.

That's a pretty good price
    Take a look at all steel buildings as well. Not the carport style, I bought a 30' x 50' 10 years ago for about 8K
    Plus about the same to put it up including the concrete work. But like a said it was 10 years ago and I am in a pretty rural area.
    Either way good luck - a man cave is something every guy should have.

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• Will do, thank you. I’ve got the man cave in the basement, and I’m pretty sure that’s going to become wife and kids space when the garage is built. They are already trying to take over.

I’m going to keep looking at the buildings. Are the steel buildings different from pole barns?

• That's a pretty good priceTake a look at all steel buildings as well. Not the carport style, I bought a 30' x 50' 10 years ago for about 8K
    Plus about the same to put it up including the concrete work. But like a said it was 10 years ago and I am in a pretty rural area.
    Either way good luck - a man cave is something every guy should have.

You got that right. It has to have heat and air, a full entertainment system with at least a 55 inch TV and surround sound and be able to park at least 2 cars/trucks also a motorcycle or two. You still have to be able to have all of the tools in there also. Did I miss anything? Oh, maybe a chair or two also to relax in. I have had mine since 1982, we built it to support the motorcycle habit and the dirt bikes. Way before the word man cave.

• In my neck of the woods, steel buildings come pre-engineered, require footings or a slab, are more expensive than a pole-barn and are more upscale. They may or may not meet your county's requirements for permitting - do your homework. Pole-barns must be engineered for your location. Where I built mine in the county north of my residence it is elevation specific for snow-load. Again, do your homework. Also, the county in which I built mine changed their rules while I was building mine to disallow a gravel surface inside because of potential fuel spills - stupid gov't s#!t. I pointed out that it just shifts the fuel spill to the edge of the concrete 10 ft away and they were not impressed. Luckily I had an approved permit. Talk to building and planning in your county to answer all of your questions before you start to avoid surprises if a permit is required. Otherwise disregard all of this.

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• I just put this in.
    It is 24 X 26 with 2 8 X 10 openings, 1 side door, 2 windows and it was approx $7,500.
    I had concrete poured for around $2600, and I ordered wind rated, custom powered, remote controlled roll up doors for it.
    If you don't go for the powered remote doors, regular roll up doors are relatively cheap.
    And FYI, 8' high doors are unusual, not the norm, so prices are higher.
    If you don't need the 8', go for the 7'

• Lol - Stairgod.

I’ve looked into the sea cans, however they are between $2700 and $3k in my area. They say that they are water and air tight, but they physically don’t look in the best condition. When I spoke to a supplier of used sea cans, I was told that they need to be sealed or coated (especially) the roof, once received and then yearly after that.

Something to think about again though, thanks.

The toughest part may be the wife saying how ugly it is. Lol.

• Around here used is one trip across the ocean, and they look brand new if that is what you want.

• One trip would be great! And for 2k even better! It must be my location, as to why the price difference. Although, I’m only about an hour and a half away from port Newark and 2 hours away from Philly.

They are retired after a certain amount of use. Some are in better condition than others and when bought at action the price is based on condition. You can negotiate prices when you buy them from a reseller. When you inspect one just go inside and have the doors closed look for daylight. They are pretty heavy duty.

You can also buy 20' length which are less money and almost the perfect size for what you are looking to do.

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• One trip would be great! And for 2k even better! It must be my location, as to why the price difference. Although, I’m only about an hour and a half away from port Newark and 2 hours away from Philly.

Charleston, S.C. any major port has business's that sale the containers. They come in two or three different lengths. I have not looked into this in years.

you can get 20ft. --- 40ft. --- 40ft. high which is 9 ft. 6 inches. All are 8ft. wide inside and the standart height is 8ft. 6 inches cgicontainersales.com for a price quote or call 1-800-255-4835 They have new, one trip and the used. I had a friend years ago that had two of them to park his cars in. You can use them for just about anything or make them in to what you want. There is even an under ground home made up of a bunch of them and stacked homes made of them.

• Don't forget underground pistol range! I will be burying one for a friend this summer who will use it as an off-plan safe room in his off-grid cabin. He will cut through his existing foundation to access it. It is at the top of a ridge so groundwater will not be an issue. We call them Conex containers out here. Are we off-topic yet?

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

Edited once, last by SlingLow ().

• There is even an under ground home made up of a bunch of them

I will be burying one for a friend this summer who will use it as an off-plan safe room in his off-grid cabin. He will cut through his existing foundation to access it. It is at the top of a ridge so groundwater will not be an issue.

Just be aware if you bury one, they are actually not designed to take pressure on the walls or top aside from the strengthened corners and beams. In other words, they are great for stacking other containers on top of, because the points that carry the weight are strengthened. They aren't designed to withstand the pressure and weight over every square inch.

The other thing you need to do is seal the metal against corrosion if they are underground.

I've seen this done, it just takes a little prep and extra work. When I have the land and space, I will be using these to my advantage, for sure.