New Years Resolutions

• It’s DONE... Time to start making stuff! :thumbsup:

https://stepcraft.us/product/s…840-desktop-cnc-system-2/

I have access to 8 CNC machines at the shop. Whenever they aren't busy with a current job, I'm allowed to do anything with them after shift. I'm Lead Tooling designer here, and program the machines to cut the tooling also. I also have Bridgeports and lathes at my disposal. I've made some really cool one offs for the Harleys I've had in the past.

My "Job" is only that in the sense that I get paid to do it. I usually find it interesting and fun..... meaning I don't really feel like I work for a living... they pay me to play.

• I have access to 8 CNC machines at the shop. Whenever they aren't busy with a current job, I'm allowed to do anything with them after shift. I'm Lead Tooling designer here, and program the machines to cut the tooling also. I also have Bridgeports and lathes at my disposal. I've made some really cool one offs for the Harleys I've had in the past.
    My "Job" is only that in the sense that I get paid to do it. I usually find it interesting and fun..... meaning I don't really feel like I work for a living... they pay me to play.

Man, I'll tell you...I want to come apprentice under you. I want access to CNC machines and welders and lathes...once I finally ditch this full time gig, I want to go learn all that stuff.

You know who else I've been jealous of, for skill and fun toys, is @Thomas Sleight. Haven't seen him on here in a bit. He makes some cool stuff.

• Man, I'll tell you...I want to come apprentice under you. I want access to CNC machines and welders and lathes...once I finally ditch this full time gig, I want to go learn all that stuff.
    You know who else I've been jealous of, for skill and fun toys, is @Thomas Sleight. Haven't seen him on here in a bit. He makes some cool stuff.

It's interesting. Day goes by quickly most days. Seems like I work 4 hours, and my 8 hour shift is over. I started in a precision machine shop the day after I graduated from HS (almost 40 years ago). Been doing this all but about a year since then. Manual machines, welding, tool room & fixtures, CNC (both Horizontal and Vertical). I've not messed with lathes as much, and only manual ones. I've done die grinding and repair, along with die polishing. Mostly for the last 20 years, I've done tooling design, and write CNC code.

You know the saying, "Find a job doing something you enjoy and never have to work another day in your life" ..... that's been me. :)

• I can weld fairly well. I would love to learn how to use metal lathes and Cnc machines. I do make weird shit with our plasma cutter. Also would like to see a water jet set up only seen them on tv.

• Since y'all are talking shop... I just stepped out on the production floor to snap a pic of both my baby's! <3

*Wrote the software which interfaces these monsters (from ERP to low-level tooling/offsets and operation)... LOVE MY JOB AND THESE BEASTS!! :thumbsup:

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you...
    Signature.png

• Holy crap - them are some serious machinesDo you still have keys to the building - cab we go and play with them?

Sorry not. I wish. There I could make almost anything, I did do make some greasy stuff (even have a Patent stupid me -----$$$ ) but that's one reason why I work on my second million $$ because the first one did not work out.
    Well I still could use them all.

Do not resent growing old. Many are denied.... The Privilege :REDSS: :SUPERCHARGERSS: : :HEADERSS: : :COILOVERSS: Wycked hitch

• Wait, I'm confused. Isn't having a patent a good thing?

Yes to have a Patent is a good thing, you have to spend money to get it ( 20,000.00 - 50,000.00 or more pending what it is for " research do you infringe on other patents etc. and all") you have it monitored for infringements. And after all that that does not mean you make money of it. My Patent is Patent number: 7581633 it did cost me more then I ever can recoup on it because, I had a company at the time which said they can do the near infrared inspection and they could not (and could never recoup the money) I wish I would have had @Bill Martin us a friend then. :D:thumbsup:
    I have to search for a video of the machine I invented but for know I just found pictures.

Do not resent growing old. Many are denied.... The Privilege :REDSS: :SUPERCHARGERSS: : :HEADERSS: : :COILOVERSS: Wycked hitch

• Man, I'll tell you...I want to come apprentice under you. I want access to CNC machines and welders and lathes...once I finally ditch this full time gig, I want to go learn all that stuff.

You know who else I've been jealous of, for skill and fun toys, is Thomas Sleight. Haven't seen him on here in a bit. He makes some cool stuff.

Thanks, KayTwo
    I'm still around, the sling is safely sleeping in storage for the next couple of months. Right now I'm working on cutting three feet out of the body of one of my Broncos to make a true half cab.

• Yes to have a Patent is a good thing, you have to spend money to get it ( 20,000.00 - 50,000.00 or more pending what it is for " research do you infringe on other patents etc. and all") you have it monitored for infringements. And after all that that does not mean you make money of it. My Patent is Patent number: 7581633 it did cost me more then I ever can recoup on it because, I had a company at the time which said they can do the near infrared inspection and they could not (and could never recoup the money) I wish I would have had @Bill Martin us a friend then. :D:thumbsup: I have to search for a video of the machine I invented but for know I just found pictures.

Holy crap! =O

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you...
    Signature.png

• Yes to have a Patent is a good thing, you have to spend money to get it ( 20,000.00 - 50,000.00 or more pending what it is for " research do you infringe on other patents etc. and all") you have it monitored for infringements. And after all that that does not mean you make money of it. My Patent is Patent number: 7581633 it did cost me more then I ever can recoup on it because, I had a company at the time which said they can do the near infrared inspection and they could not (and could never recoup the money)

Not to mention that it is all a waste of money unless you have the $$$$$ to defend it in court. Even with Bill Martin's skills.
    I have several patents and have been on both sides of the infringement fight. You never really win even when you win!

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• Yes to have a Patent is a good thing, you have to spend money to get it ( 20,000.00 - 50,000.00 or more pending what it is for " research do you infringe on other patents etc. and all") you have it monitored for infringements. And after all that that does not mean you make money of it. My Patent is Patent number: 7581633 it did cost me more then I ever can recoup on it because, I had a company at the time which said they can do the near infrared inspection and they could not (and could never recoup the money) I wish I would have had @Bill Martin us a friend then. :D:thumbsup: I have to search for a video of the machine I invented but for know I just found pictures.

@MACAWS is right - patent law is just about as frustrating to lawyers and inventors as it is to stack BB’s on a guitar string. When you apply for a patent the term “opening up a can of worms” hardly covers all involved. Course with Dieter’s fine adult German beverages I am sure he coulda persuaded me to dive in :00008359:

I might not be right but I can sure sound like it

• On many designs, the Chinese do not recognize patents. When I first started working after HS, I was at NATCO. We made many great tools, including multi-spindle drilling and tapping machines for production. NATCO (National Automatic Tool Co.) also made radial drills, and bought out the Carlton Machine works. NATCO made the best plastic injection equipment in the 60's. The Japanese (also didn't recognize patents) wanted to come over and look at the shop, manufacturing facility, and discuss the machines. The owners invited them to come. They did. Took many pictures. Crawled over the machines with tape measures. Took more pictures. By the time I started working there, the Japanese machines were less than NATCO's, and were equal quality. The owners tried to cut corners, make a good machine in a cheaper way. Just ended up with a cheaper quality machine for about the same money, and got ran out of business.

One of the coolest things I got to work on though, was the machine that took a GM 3.8 (later 3800) V6 bare engine block casting, and run the entire machining process for it for production. It took just under 2 hours to machine one complete, bare casting to finished product. But once the line was filled (many pallets) they could have a machined engine block coming off every 45 seconds. If a drill or tap broke, it recognized it, changed out the tool automatically, and kicked out the pallet with the casting that had the broken tool in it off the line into a separate area to be repaired. This machine design started in 1975 or 1976, and was finished in 1981. Stellar for the time. The machine was over 1/2 mile long from start to finish, but made several turns to keep it under one roof.

BTW, thread derailment at it's finest is found now in this thread. :00008356: