• So we're having a very large gathering for Christmas this year. Unfortunately our house isn't big enough to seat everyone inside for dinner, so we figured we'd get a propane patio heater and people can also eat on the deck. I buy a heater and set it up, and the damned thing is too flippin tall! It's only 10 inches away from our aluminum awning. Nothing in the specs said anything about clearances, but the heat above this thing was intense! I contacted the manufacturer and they said the heater required 44 inches of clearance. What the hell!? Why wouldn't that little tidbit be listrd in the specs?

I find this out on Friday and the panic starts setting in. With the temps forcast in the high thirty's to low forty's I have to find something besides the little heaters that attach to propane tanks. I go online and find a outdoor pellet stove that gravity feeds the pellets and doesn't use electricity. The heat rating is damn near double what the propane heaters put out and the chimney comes in sections so it can be used as tall or short as you want. Checking the dealer locator there's a dealer 120 miles away with one in stock and they're open Saturdays! Road trip! I went up early morning. Looked the stove over and brought it home. Because of our awning I'm running it with just two sections of chimney and it's perfect! Because it's a stove, the entire thing puts out heat. And with the dampers full open it puts out a lot of heat! When I drop the shades our deck is nice a toasty.

Sorry for the long post, but had to share. :D

• Nice find @BryanL! I've never been a big fan of the propane units - they just look a little to industrial for me. That's not only a better option but provides some ambiance as well.

What is the brand and where is this dealer if you're willing to share?

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• The brand is Q-stove and Home Depot has them listed online but doesn't stock them. It would have been the 28th if I ordered it from them. The manufacturer is in Bellevue, WA. and Olympia Fireplace & Spa had the one I grabbed.

• would always be handy on those cold Texas nights

When it plummets below 70 degrees...

Don't you just throw your meat in the smoker and let the sun do the rest?

Just messin' with ya @Texas T - way to represent on the April page in the calendar - I'm diggin' the Lone Star!

• Just found the thread. Wonder if that would be a good way to heat up my toy box where I keep truck trailer and sling. Might be to much smoke for an enclosed building. Might just go with the propane bottle top heater. It is presently 9 degrees outside now, need some heat so I can work on the sling during the cold months. I think first mod is going to be the ECU mod from Bob.

LC

• Just found the thread. Wonder if that would be a good way to heat up my toy box where I keep truck trailer and sling. Might be to much smoke for an enclosed building. Might just go with the propane bottle top heater. It is presently 9 degrees outside now, need some heat so I can work on the sling during the cold months. I think first mod is going to be the ECU mod from Bob.

LC

How can anyone exist without heat and air in the play room? To work on the SS or other things, so you pile up in the house when it is cold out or 100 degrees plus.

• I think first mod is going to be the ECU mod from Bob.

I am planning on the ECU tune from Bob as well and now would be a good time for me to do it. I have a question though and rather than start a thread will ask it here to see if anyone has advice. I installed the Alpha side exhaust and really like it, but have heard that the muffler itself may not stand the test of time. If it fails and starts to rattle, I would need to weld in a new muffler or go to a different exhaust system. I did read about another vendor building an exhaust that uses the same hole as the Alpha but have not explored it as to availability (current or future) and cost.

Sooo, if I do the tune for my current exhaust and switched out the muffler itself, would that make a difference in the tune that I should have, or if I switch to a similar system made by a different manufacturer, same question?

• Not really sure if Bob's tune are that specific. You might want to get hold of him on his website to make sure. I need to ask if I can have mine idle at 1000 rpm rather than stock, helps to the oil pressure up. Just got home from getting bigger compressors and a blast cabinet so I can start doing powder coating.

LC

• Not really sure if Bob's tune are that specific. You might want to get hold of him on his website to make sure. I need to ask if I can have mine idle at 1000 rpm rather than stock, helps to the oil pressure up. Just got home from getting bigger compressors and a blast cabinet so I can start doing powder coating.

LC

What blast cabinet did you go with?

Owner of Three's Da Life Fenders and Three's Da Life Apparel

Proud supporter of S.O.G. (Slingshot Owners Group) :thumbsup:

WWW.ROCKMYBLING.COM

• What blast cabinet did you go with?

I used a bead blaster for about 20 years, damn near every day (work repairing stuff). The blasting area was was ruffly 3 1/2 x 3 1/2 x 3 1/2 feet. I have even had the rear brake line off a 67 camero in it. I could have even put an engine block in it, it was that big. If I was buying one today I would find one that size with a very good compressor also so you could blast without waiting for the compressor to catch up. Everything else is just to small.

• STYLN wrote:What blast cabinet did you go with?

I went with the harbor freight unit, mainly for the cost. I plan to try it in stock format and if it fails my needs modifying it until it works for me. Lots of mods can be done to them, a company called Tacoma Machine ( I think that is the name) has several different "packages" for improving the blaster. I did buy a lot bigger compressor to run it, i may even gang my other comperssor to help keep up with demand.

And to keep from derailing the thread I bought a small propane bottle topper type heater. No way will it heat my 32' X 45' 18 foot side wall shop. It does however help heat up the tools and area around where I worked yesterday. Temps in the teens and I had to turn it off before I quit working, thermal overalls are great.

LC

• I already have my play room up to 71 degrees, that will be good for the day.

LC

He has very good canned tune for an NA. It will idle really close to 1000 rpm.
    I had 2 Alpha Side Exits fail. It was a shame because I really liked the exhaust. Don't count my failures towards your decision, I believe the flow from my SC had a lot to o with the seed of the fail.
    I believe Haun is making a side designing a side now.

• Sweet! I have been looking into that and seeing all the modding needed to make that a great blasting cabinet. I heard about this Tacoma company but I can seem to find any info on the cost of their different kits...let me know how it turns out brother! Thanks!

Owner of Three's Da Life Fenders and Three's Da Life Apparel

Proud supporter of S.O.G. (Slingshot Owners Group) :thumbsup:

WWW.ROCKMYBLING.COM

• I think he does most of his business on eBay. When I emailed him he told me to call him for a chat to determine what I wanted to do and what I might need to have to accomplish it. Seemed like a nice guy, but I have not called yet.

His number is (509)732-6286

Let me know what he says.

LC