Leak behind left front tire and under left engine mount

• Have been seeing a small puddle of fluid in the above mentioned area almost since new. A 2016 SL/LE, purchased almost two months ago. It is a tan to brownish color and tastes like brake fluid. Do not think it is antifreeze because of how oily it feels
    I see it wet around the motor mount but as much as I try I can not find the leak! Drove it onto my ramps and spent time under it trying to find it. Felt around the brake and clutch reservoir with no luck.
    Still
    under warranty and plan to take it to the dealer this next week, but
    want to ask the forum what they thought the likely culprit would be.

If you get hit, it's because you were there.

• I'd bet you a Sonic's corn dog that you have a leaking clutch master cylinder. A typical problem. The fluid IS break fluid (DOT 4) but the fluid starts off as clear, but it doesn't take long to turn that brownish color. The short rubber hose that attaches to the master cylinder is actually decomposing and turning the fluid brown (also contaminating it). I change clutch master and brake master fluids at every oil change. After having the dealer replace the clutch master twice for leaks, this one seems to be fine.

Hope your dealer takes good care of you

Nobody gets outta here ALIVE

• Thank you both for replying. I wondered if it was the motor mount. I am an industrial mechanic so no stranger to hydraulic leaks. This was sort of stumping me because I had climbed all over that thing trying to find that leak. I had wondered about a fluid filled motor mount but just sold my engine hoist so no way to truly check it. Most likely would not have hooked hoist to it since it is still under warranty.

Still could be the master cylinder leaking, but now I know the motor mounts are fluid filled.

• Remove or (just move it out of the way) the factory spring tension hose clamp right there by the motor mount and use a regular screw type hose clamp. Leak will disappear. My 2016 did the exact same thing, same color of fluid and feal to it.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Polaris Slingshot Forum mobile app

Not sure what clamp you are referring too. I do thank you for your suggestion.
    Maybe if I could look at it I would understand what clamp it is. Right now the Slingshot is at the dealership so I can't run out to the garage and look. Been a week so I should hear something soon. I will update this thread when I find out what exactly it was.

Kind of miss it not being in the garage. I would stop by and admire it when I came home from work. Wife knows me like a book too. I mentioned to her I stop by and look at it and dream of the coming season. She goes on to tell me she knew I did that, without me telling her.

• Talked to the mechanic working on my Slingshot. Looks like @Red had it right. Mechanic says the motor mount has two small cracks in it.

Also, looks like the part is backordered from POLARIS until 2-26-18. Glad I caught it before the season starts. Hope this does not get drawn out for lack of parts any longer than a month.

• Motor mount came in and was installed. Dealer brought my Slingshot home. As I was driving into garage I hit an ice patch and rear wheel slipped a bit. Now ESP INTERVENTION light is on and will not turn off, even after multiple key cycles.

When I first start it, as it sits and idles, the ESP light stays off. Only after I move it around does it come back on.

So back to the shop it went. If the weather was good for riding I would be bummed. But since its so cold I am ok with it being down. Way better to get it sorted out now while the weather is like this. I think some of you are badazz and ride in weather that is 24*F. But not me. I think we even have another round of ice headed our way.

• I think some of you are badazz and ride in weather that is 24*F. But not me. I think we even have another round of ice headed our way.

Only if it's a clean 24, nothing on the ground. I can dress up for the cold, but I'm too chicken to drive with ice or snow around. I mean, if we had any, that is. :P

• Motor mount came in and was installed. Dealer brought my Slingshot home. As I was driving into garage I hit an ice patch and rear wheel slipped a bit. Now ESP INTERVENTION light is on and will not turn off, even after multiple key cycles.

When I first start it, as it sits and idles, the ESP light stays off. Only after I move it around does it come back on.

So back to the shop it went. If the weather was good for riding I would be bummed. But since its so cold I am ok with it being down. Way better to get it sorted out now while the weather is like this. I think some of you are badazz and ride in weather that is 24*F. But not me. I think we even have another round of ice headed our way.

See if you can find out what needs replacing or everything involved in clearing this...

I've had mine come on like you described since hydroplaning, but keep running it like that... Doing my best to take it easy on the curves because it seems to let loose fairly easy now... I'm out of warranty... ;(

• See if you can find out what needs replacing or everything involved in clearing this...
    I've had mine come on like you described since hydroplaning, but keep running it like that... Doing my best to take it easy on the curves because it seems to let loose fairly easy now... I'm out of warranty...

I will report back what the fix is.

Edited once, last by essixx ().

• Only if it's a clean 24, nothing on the ground. I can dress up for the cold, but I'm too chicken to drive with ice or snow around. I mean, if we had any, that is. :P

@DocG and I are proven down to 7F. Not easy, but can be done. Never too cold if you dress properly.

Ice or snow, park that bitch. Riding a Sling is cool. Dying in one, less so.

• Well, the Slingshot came home again. Seems when the dealer replaced the drivers side motor mount, they lifted the engine. They also disconnected the steering bolts, think he said 4 of them but not sure. The mechanic did not reset the steering wheel during reassembly. He also mentioned that to do the job completely to fix the ESP INTERVENTION light, they had to remove the steering wheel to get to a sensor there, also.
    The guy who brought my Slingshot home was very apologetic about it being away for so long and how they overlooked an important detail in the original repair.
    I have to say the whole experience with this dealership was a pleasant one. They did not even charge me for the pick-up and delivery, either time. Second time I can understand. First time I feel they went out of their way to give me a good experience. And it did. I went and purchased a new set of seats from that dealership and they STILL gave me a large discount.

Really very happy with the Slingshot, even with the few problems I have had at 1300 miles. Both problems, if happened during a 3500 mile trip, would not have spoiled the trip or made us hurry back home. So really these are non issues to me.

Now, Let the modding begin!!