You know it's not gonna be a good news story when....

• Maybe the Chilton's manual knew it was you and not @sideseatdriver, and everyone knows that she is the true wrench in the house. :00008172::00008356::00008172::00008356:

Yeah, that could be it. Or it could be that the Chevy Traverse is put together upside down and backwards, and you gotta pull the whole damn engine to get to anything useful. Never doing another one of these vehicles again. Dis you know the damn battery isn't even under the hood? You gotta take out a seat to get to it.

• I remember the first time a mechanic told me ,"you have to pull the motor to change the spark plugs" about a car I owned. I knew then that manufacturers were trying to boost service calls for dealerships and stopped caring about shadetree mechanics.

My wife's battery is in the back behind the passanger side, rear tire.

• Yeah, that could be it. Or it could be that the Chevy Traverse is put together upside down and backwards, and you gotta pull the whole damn engine to get to anything useful. Never doing another one of these vehicles again. Dis you know the damn battery isn't even under the hood? You gotta take out a seat to get to it.

Wow. I did not know you had to remove the seat. Chevy did put the battery for my Camaro in the trunk where the spare tire normally goes but I have no spare, just a can of fix flat connected to a 12 volt air compressor that is a one time use and you throw it away and buy a new one.

• I remember the first time a mechanic told me ,"you have to pull the motor to change the spark plugs" about a car I owned. I knew then that manufacturers were trying to boost service calls for dealerships and stopped caring about shadetree mechanics.

They still make cars that require lowering the engine to replace the spark plugs. You do not need to remove the engine just lower it down. They sit in a cradle.

One of the guys who works for me has a Challenger or a Charger, I forget which. He told me today that his engine is mounted upside down, so the spark plugs are not accessible unless you pull the whole engine. That would drive me batshit.

• This Traverse is possessed. Slow speed, under acceleration, the engine revs but the car slows down....and it only seems to happen when turning. I'm hoping that's a significant detail, because I really dont want the issue to be with the transmission. Last time we did something with the transmission (or timing belt not sure which), they had to pull the whole motor, and it would have been $1700 if not under warranty. The warranty is now expired, so I'm just hoping it's an easy fix. Gonna look through the Chevy forums later for any history to see if there's an explanation for what we're seeing.

• This Traverse is possessed. Slow speed, under acceleration, the engine revs but the car slows down....and it only seems to happen when turning. I'm hoping that's a significant detail, because I really dont want the issue to be with the transmission. Last time we did something with the transmission (or timing belt not sure which), they had to pull the whole motor, and it would have been $1700 if not under warranty. The warranty is now expired, so I'm just hoping it's an easy fix. Gonna look through the Chevy forums later for any history to see if there's an explanation for what we're seeing.

I might not be right but I can sure sound like it

I will talk with our Chevy Technicians in the morning.

I'm not telling where my wife's battery is. I'll be the one plugging into and charging that up! :thumbsup: But to get to the battery in her car you start by pulling off the right front fender. NO JOKE!

Tim "Ghost" Ganey
    Winfield, Alabama
    205spam412spam2868

• Had to get a new battery for my wife’s Charger last spring. Went to Walmart, opened the trunk, pulled the battery (mounted by spare), closed the trunk and went inside to exchange for a new battery. Brought out the new battery and got out the key to open the trunk. That’s when I found out the little black circle in the back was only the camera. No key release. Only electrical. Doors are the same. That’s great if you have a battery in the car. :cursing:
    Went back inside and got one of the service people to get their jump starter. Luckily you can open the hood without a key and there are jump ports in the engine compartment. They plugged in and my remote would then open the trunk.
    I have never owned a car before that you couldn’t open the trunk or even the doors if the battery was dead. I’ll know better next time. X(

• Yep, I remember a time when cars came with something called an owners manual and people actually read them. Made locating the jack much easier to find in the dark before you actually needed it. And a shift lever in the P position meant you had no place to be.

Hope @KayTwo gets this figured out cheaply... checking the dictionary reveals that traverse is not something you buy.

Slingshot Flyer! Well, of course it's red... :REDSS:

• @dangerdarrell my Impala is that way. No key to open the trunk, only by the remote or the button on the dash. Not sure about the doors, but I'm thinking there's a keyhole for them.

@KayTwo, the one good thing about the battery being inside the vehicle is longevity of it. I have a close friend that was a GM mechanic, but now has his own AC Delco repair shop. He said you would be surprised how many 2002-2005 Pontiac Bonneville's are still on the original batteries they came with. He mentioned it, because of a 2004 that had just come in that was cranking slowly, and the car had 260,000 miles and the original battery still in it. He said that heat kills them, and interior is much more climate controlled and battery friendly.

My son had a Chrysler 300M, and the battery was in front of the right front tire. You had to take the tire off, then a panel in the wheel well to get to it.

• I've had my son's 2001 Ford Escape in the shop for over a month for a brake job. They replaced the booster, master cylinder, rotors, drums, pads, and multiple brake lines and the result was we can't lock up the brakes or stop in an emergency. Petal travel is only about two inches. They finally gave up and are paying to take it to the Ford dealership to meet with one of their engineers in hopes of figuring it out. They are a great local shop but this one is a mystery.

#02828 January 2015 build date.
    Here to assist anyone in the Denver area.

• Sweet bleeding baby jesus. $2500 for a used transmission, or $3600 for the shop to rebuild the transmission, with a 3-yr unlimited warranty on it. He's got a good reputation, so I'm not worried that he's making this up (plus he said if he does the work and it doesn't fix the problem, he won't charge me a penny, that's how confident he is in the diagnosis), but....holy fuck. That's the last Traverse I ever buy.