You know it's not gonna be a good news story when....

• GM had some issues with the Equinox after the body style change. We have near 32K on our 2015 4 cylinder, FWD. Hope I don't jinx us but Zero issues, no lights, no funny sounds, starts and runs as we thought it would. ZERO oil usage, (Mobil 1) along with nothing weird with anything. Only oil changes with filters, tire rotations, and fill ups. Had it since 7,400 miles. I'd take off to anywhere in the continent without worry about the vehicle. Perhaps I'm naive... but I think I have a good one. Just checked the mileage tonight, just a tad over 25 MPG, and she only works 6 blocks from home.To be fair, most of the miles were not to and from work, but I can't complain.
    Disclaimer, last time I stepped out like this, was about the fact that my SS leaked on the floor of the garage right after I got it, and both Harleys ( 2005 and 2012) hadn't ever. Within a few weeks, her bike developed a leak. May the mechanical Karma be gentle.....

heh @Goats_Hogs bet if you checked the manufactures data plate you,ll find that equinox was built right down the highway from me by Cami in Ingersol, where my youngest daughter has already worked her way up through supervision to one of two E.R. Reps, so basically at 27 years old she and one other handle all the hiring, firing and disciplining of 2600 auto workers daily. Almost all of the Equinox in North America were manufactured right here in Canada and most of the Terrains too so as @gooseman will tell you, its understandable their one of the best selling ,best performing GM VEHICLES EVER MADE !! Canadian Eh !!

• heh @Goats_Hogs bet if you checked the manufactures data plate you,ll find that equinox was built right down the highway from me by Cami in Ingersol, where my youngest daughter has already worked her way up through supervision to one of two E.R. Reps, so basically at 27 years old she and one other handle all the hiring, firing and disciplining of 2600 auto workers daily. Almost all of the Equinox in North America were manufactured right here in Canada and most of the Terrains too so as @gooseman will tell you, its understandable their one of the best selling ,best performing GM VEHICLES EVER MADE !! Canadian Eh !!

My Equinox and 1994 Z71 extended cab 4x4 were made in Canada. Not sure about the Impala, but I'd put money on it wasn't in the 50 states. I used to know many, many people that worked for GM, Chrysler, and Ford in the manufacturing end. I know Zero now.... but I know at least over 50 that work for or for a supplier of Honda or Toyota. Just mentioning what I've seen in nearly 40 years of manufacturing of one type or another....

• WOOO HOO Canadian eH ! WELL just so you know the story on Cami it wasn,t GM jobs we cohersed from U.S. Cami originated in the eighties as a joint venture owned by Suzuki and GM building Suzuki Trackers and Samerais, It quickly took off, being a Canadian thing and started to exceed the profitability of any GM plant to date, so when GM restructured and shut down half its plants it used your Governments money, Loans it quickly paid back albeit, to buy out Suzuki. Our little home grown Cami, Canadian built, managed and workforce supplied, quickly became the jewell of G.M. last year they became the largest GM manufacturing plant in history I believe , by producing about 340,000 vehicles in one year . Just Saying !

• But Don't worry it doesn't always work out for CANADAS BENEFIT. in the sixties GM opened a diesel locomotive manufacturing plant here in London Ont. It was a booming business and in 2010 was sold out to a subsidiary of CATERPILLAR, Caterpillar then in 2012 found themselves with over manufacturing capacity and Told our union their costs had to come down or they could produce in Mexico and the U,S, cheaper. Our great Union leaders said they,re bluffing, held out for top dollar , and in 2012 Caterpillar took all the technologies and licensing they had purchased and put it to good use in the U.S plants and promptly closed the doors and laid off 100 percent of the Canadian workforce . There are jobs created and there are jobs lost in a global marketplace , only history will tell if this Global marketplace is a good thing in the end. Personally I believe it is, but I don't even understand why we even have a Canadian / U.S. border anymore, we really are one and the same anymore, it just may take a while for 35 million CANADIANS TO CONVINCE 325 MILLION U.S. citizens of that !! SORRYJUST TRYING TO INTERJECT A LITTLE HUMOR HERE !

• A little off subject on original post but a few years ago I pulled into a parking lot in Michigan and parked next to a truck like mine. Dodge Ram Diesel, on the back window was a huge sticker with the saying about being out of work then keep driving your non USA made vehicle or something along those lines. Anyways we both were getting out of our trucks at the same time and I just had to ask him where he thought his truck was assembled. He put his chest out and proudly said the good old USA. I had to correct him and tell him that all Dodge Ram with the Diesel engines are assembled in Mexico. Talk about deflating his day. He was not aware of that. The manufacturers assemble vehicles where ever they can do it cheaper with everything counted into the equation of labor and logistics for parts and delivery. Having worked in the auto parts manufacturing for years, the bean counters look at every penny and really don't care who it affects when they save that penny. People are just another number in the equation.

• Why is it that other manufactures(Mercedes, Honda, Toyota, Nissan, Hyundai) can build vehicles cheaper here in the U.S.of A. than Ford, Chevy, Dodge, Chrysler, GMC?

Tim "Ghost" Ganey
    Winfield, Alabama
    205spam412spam2868

• Why is it that other manufactures(Mercedes, Honda, Toyota, Nissan, Hyundai) can build vehicles cheaper here in the U.S.of A. than Ford, Chevy, Dodge, Chrysler, GMC?

I know here in Ontario Canada they are able to build them cheaper due to the fact they use a lot of the same parts on all models. They use the same door handles, locks, radios, seat belts etc etc on multiple models. The big 3 have different parts for every model which means inventory and tooling costs.

I believe that part of the equation is where the vehicles are sold. Many of the manufacturers build in multiple countries. You can bet that if the Japanese cars are 'built' here, there is an economic advantage to them. Also, they may not actually be built here but rather assembled. If it is cheaper to build the parts or components with their labor force, or that in another country, then import them for assembly closer to the point of sale than to assemble them elsewhere and import the finished product, that is what they will do. Of course our extremely complicated system of import taxes and tariffs play into that at a high level.

I'm not sure about the benefits of calling a product 'made in the USA' these days but that is likely another factor. I have a good friend looking at importing and selling air conditioning units from a little country you may have heard of with a population around 1.4 billion. Our laws specify a specific percentage of assembly that is required stateside in order to call them 'made in the USA' and that will dictate the level of pre-assembly to take place overseas. He will be importing the components from that country, then selling a 'made in the USA' final product.

This partially explains the assembled in Mexico Dodge trucks as well as those assembled in Canada. If the labor savings is greater than the import cost, there is an economic advantage to doing so and, of course, there is no ocean to cross from those countries.

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• I always thought that if the parts were made in another country and put together in the USA it could not say built in the USA but had to say Assembled in the USA.

I guess I should not sound like an expert because I'm not, but I believe that is a lower level. Whatever it is, it is determine by the screwed up laws in this country. I do know that my buddy told me that his will be labeled made in the USA but I could have misconstrued the information. It wouldn't be the 1st time and I'm too lazy to look it up.

• I guess I should not sound like an expert because I'm not, but I believe that is a lower level. Whatever it is, it is determine by the screwed up laws in this country. I do know that my buddy told me that his will be labeled made in the USA but I could have misconstrued the information. It wouldn't be the 1st time and I'm too lazy to look it up.

I am by no means an expert either, I thought I either read or heard that a while back. Not criticizing, just wondering out loud.

• Gee. That makes you just like so many on Facebook and other forums! Oh wait.... I see the difference! You admit it publicly instead of continuing to argue after proven wrong!

For the record, I don't twitface and I'm never wrong! Just marginally correct. Sometimes that margin is small...