Todays Observations

• I thought that maybe somebody here may be interested................

I took the Grasshopper out on a lil round robin jaunt of about 75 miles today and would just like to share some observations.

First is that I was riding in a mixture of rain/sun and I now have good news and bad news about the new BF Goodrich tires. The good news is that I have most definitely gained confidence again in riding the Grasshopper in cooler weather and on wet roads where the added traction is quite noticeable. The bad news could be that I have gained confidence again in riding the Grasshopper in cooler weather and on wet roads.

Secondly, this was the first real ride after installing the new Stealth fender and there is a wee bit of disappointment there where the fender will most definitely help in keeping rocks and other debris from beating up the rear panel, but it did very little in keeping the rear panel and top deck any cleaner when riding in the rain. Though, I believe that I did pick up a lil speed with the added better aerodynamic look of the back end over-all?

Thirdly, some good news is that by taking the time to fine tune the adjusting of the rear belt can most definitely result in a quieter machine. I have come to the conclusion that maybe much of the bad rap attributed to the angle drive has actually been for noise coming from the belt.

And finally, somewhat related to the first topic, I need to share that for the first time the Grasshopper caused me some problem with local law enforcement where I was warned maybe, just maybe, I may want to slow it down a wee bit in the future on the twisty roads!

Bill
    [/quote]

• I bundled up good this morning for a ride at 24 degrees with heavy fog.
    As soon as I got out onto the main highway I seriously considered
    turning right around and heading back home, for the highway was covered
    with a good layer of frost. Well, I fought off that urge with
    curiosity winning out of finding out just how well the new tires would
    do in such conditions so I continued on. If I really got on it the rear
    tire would definitely break loose much more easily than on dry pavement,
    but keeping it easy down the highway at the speed limit was
    anti-climatic with no surprises. In fact, the only thing that was only
    mildly a nuisance was the wind screen being fogged over. Overall it was a
    very enlightening and enjoyable ride!

Bill

• grasshopper.jpg
    The Stealth fender has a nice look to it BUT it doesn't extend far enough to fully stop whatever might be thrown up by the tire. The Corbin bag fender ended in about a similar spot and I found it to be poor also. I bent some fairly thick aluminum and added it to the bottom of the fender while also flaring it. It now works as it should.