Base model vs SL?

• I am looking at my options. Do I buy a ‘17 base model or a lightly used 15/16 SL? Other than the radio/camera and bigger wheels, is there any real difference between the two? Performance differences?

Do the bigger wheels make much difference in performance and handling?

I think that I could install a better radio/camera cheaper than the cost difference between the two models. True - false?

Love opening cans of worms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John
    '15 Nuc 'em 'til they glow orange
    '15 Ram 2500
    '16 Denali 289 RK
    '17 Mazda 3 HB

:ORANGESS:

SOG supporter

• A lot of it has to do with how mechanical and electronically inclined you are. If you are good at that then, yes you can probably do cheaper building off a base model. Most people have so many added options that they don’t resemble the original. If you are not able to do that it is cheaper to buy a 17 SL. It has most of the option already incorporated in it. JMHO

Sent from my iPad using Polaris Slingshot Info

• The wheels make no difference.

Few are happy with the SL radio/stereo/backup camera. If you are willing to spend the extra $$$ just for the color red, go for it.

Make friends, and show up at a wrench day or two. There is a truck load of things you can do with the money you save just getting a base. Like kick-ass aftermarket audio and backup cam. Or, perhaps, a supercharger or turbo.

Edit: This is also a political question. I love my '15 base, and have no regrets. So do many others. But, this topic may devolve into noise, so focus on filtering what is important to you. Lots of folks are happy with their red SLs too. Seems to me you have three choices, base, SL, or no SS. No SS is very undesirable, and most all here would agree with me. Get yourself any SS, and you will meet the nicest people, and have a blast running down the road.

• l always try to buy top of the line since I'm not into spending a lot of money on frivolous stuff.. I bought my 2015 SL in December of 2014. I have 47000 miles on it and I am fully happy. I've only added the 1320 header cat delete and injen cai. Plan on keeping it unless Polaris comes out with a new model that has more HP.

• @pricejh61, I had a 15 SL (chassis #411) that I bought in Dec. of 14. Loved it but hated the radio and seats. Added 1320 header, Alpha side exhaust, lights, steering wheel, shifter, etc. Had 9K when I changed the rear tire and shocks and 17.5K on it when I changed all the tires and the clutch. Had about 2k on these (just about to 20K) when we headed to Maggie Valley last year. Clutch bearing started to go in TN so I traded for a 17 SLR when we got to Waynesville outside Maggie Valley. My 17 now has 6.5K plus and I have a new rear tire, additional speakers, JRI's, 1320 header, Welter Stealth, DDM extended hood hinges and supercharger on the way.
    Bought my wife's ( @HeRSling) 15 SL this past summer with 2800 miles and over 6K in mods for $17K. A fantastic deal! She has put on about 4K miles, added new seats, and a beautiful custom paint job by @Painter.
    I advise everyone to buy a base and fix it the way you want or buy used and fix it the way you want. I have now had two new ones. Even if you buy new, you will end up fixing it the way you want. :D

• One of the reason I recommend the 17 SL is because they have improved the radio a great deal and most of the upgrades I made are now incorporated in the 17 with the exception of the Twisted Dynamic top. It just comes down to a personal choice which NO ONE is going to judge on. Not all areas have a lot of wrench days but there is a lot of info on this site as well as some very knowledgeable members who are very willing to share Their wisdom. Number 1 on the hit parade is @rabtech

Sent from my iPad using Polaris Slingshot Info

• When I finish with my rebuild I will have a 2015 base with 2016.5 panels, radio, custom paint and plenty of add ons that add up to include seats, sway bar, shocks....etc. It will be done in the next two weeks. I will be willing to talk prices whenever.
    PM me if you want to know more.

I just want to see pictures of the beast when she's done!

• #Slingrazor

I must have missed something, I’m usually late to the party. Rebuild? Sounds painful. Had to do that to a couple of bikes in the past.

John
    '15 Ram 2500
    '16 Denali 289 RK
    '17 Mazda 3 HB

SOG supporter

• Here is the thread as to what I am doing.
    This is actually something I enjoy doing.
    So, what would you do?

• Here is the thread as to what I am doing.
    This is actually something I enjoy doing.
    So, what would you do?

Very interesting. Sounds like someone is going to get a darned sweet ride. I probably won’t be pulling the trigger until March or so. Gotta get thru tax season and see what remains of the income stream.

John
    '15 Ram 2500
    '16 Denali 289 RK
    '17 Mazda 3 HB

SOG supporter

• Just stay on this forum. We are more than willing to help you spend your money.
    Keep us in mind before you buy used, we can help.
    If I was going to start all over, I would buy a used base model and make it my own.

Will do. That’s about what I want to do. I need to figure hire out what it is that I want the SS to do for me.

Currently have a ‘12 Goldwing. I have a history of turning my bikes into touring machines. Did that with my Z1b, 1500 Nomad and my VN2000. Fortunately, the Wing didn’t need too much additional work. But now my knees and balance are causing problems. Getting old inhales big time.

I am thinking that a lightly used ‘15 or ‘16 base model would be a good starting point. Add one would include comfortable seats, additional luggage capacity, a decent audio head unit that would include Apple CarPlay. Beyond that I’m looking at headers/exhaust and a cold air intake. Possibly a remap of the ECM. Lights and bling would be the last install. Maybe a wrap to change the color, if necessary. The objective is a reliable machine that we can crawl into and do a BumBurner1500 without qualm AND be able to zip up the Dragon at the drop of a hat.

Just what I want. Oh yea-I’m partial to red scoots.

John
    '15 Ram 2500
    '16 Denali 289 RK
    '17 Mazda 3 HB

SOG supporter

• When I finish with my rebuild I will have a 2015 base with 2016.5 panels, radio, custom paint and plenty of add ons that add up to include seats, sway bar, shocks....etc. It will be done in the next two weeks. I will be willing to talk prices whenever.
    PM me if you want to know more.

:00008172::00008356: ahhhhh shit @Slingrazor. you kill me.... "When I finish....", as my teenager would say... whatever dad :00008235: