Gas Grill ???

• I know we have some BBQ aficionados among us and I need some input. We are remodeling our porch and would like to hear some of you guys opinion. Kinda lookin for something middle of the road that is very rust resistant (big problem here in coonass land) - don’t want an el cheapo but not thousands either. I hate online reviews cause it’s so easy to get screwed ... thoughts anyone??

I might not be right but I can sure sound like it

• It is not expensive, but also not "cheap" built. I have one similar to this, have used it since 2002. It still serves well, other than mine had non stainless panels on the inside of the doors and they are starting to rust. The cooking grates can be replaced with stainless on Ebay or Amazon easily when the time comes. It is not only quick, but also easy. Likely something cheaper than you are looking for, but I like mine and I grill pretty often. It's not fancy, but gets the job done well.

ADVANTAGE™ 4 BURNER GAS GRILL | CHAR-BROIL®

• It is not expensive, but also not "cheap" built. I have one similar to this, have used it since 2002. It still serves well, other than mine had non stainless panels on the inside of the doors and they are starting to rust. The cooking grates can be replaced with stainless on Ebay or Amazon easily when the time comes. It is not only quick, but also easy. Likely something cheaper than you are looking for, but I like mine and I grill pretty often. It's not fancy, but gets the job done well.

ADVANTAGE™ 4 BURNER GAS GRILL | CHAR-BROIL®

WOW!! Thanks - I didn’t think you could get something decent for less than $300. That unit looks really nice. Thanks @av8ingtom - I have looked at those Big Green Eggs but $700 for a charcoal BBQ Pit is a lot to me. @Boomer - you are the rib man - wanna have nice equipment for you to cook with when ya get here !! :P:D

• Bill I’m looking at the pellet grills. There are some nice ones at about 800 that doo good work. Constant temp with a sear plate. That’s what I’m thinking. It’s a constant temp which works good for all meat and fish.

Sent from my iPad using Polaris Slingshot Info

• Bill

Not a gas grill, but I have the Big Green Egg grill. Love the grill and will never go back to propane. I use lump coal and not charcoal. Many different accessories.

That's the ticket!

Thanks @av8ingtom - I have looked at those Big Green Eggs but $700 for a charcoal BBQ Pit is a lot to me

Not expensive if it lasts a lifetime. I got mine 5+ years ago and love it.

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• That's the ticket!

Not expensive if it lasts a lifetime. I got mine 5+ years ago and love it.

Bill

You will never buy another grill. They are ceramic so they will never rust. Just keep the metal band around the egg wiped down with WD40 CRC. You can even build your own stand out of treated lumber. I have had mine for 5 or 6 years and still like new. You can grill on it, use it as a smoker, make pizza like a brick even pizza. And there are plenty of Mods for the grill.

• Bill
    You will never buy another grill. They are ceramic so they will never rust. Just keep the metal band around the egg wiped down with WD40 CRC. You can even build your own stand out of treated lumber. I have had mine for 5 or 6 years and still like new. You can grill on it, use it as a smoker, make pizza like a brick even pizza. And there are plenty of Mods for the grill.

I was thinking going the gas grill just for ease of use but gonna look a lot harder at the Egg - thanks for recommendation

• Bill

I have a BGE also and it is one of the best purchases I have ever made. Can be a smoker, Grill, Oven and has a lifetime warranty on everything. I smoked a picnic shoulder Monday for 17 hours. Once I put the meat on it and dialed in the temp I let it run over night and pulled it off the next day. I can not recommend it enough. $700-$900 for something you will never have to buy again is worth it compared to going and buying a $300-$400 grill that is going to last 3 years.

• 17 hours without adding charcoal? I've done 10 hours. You can also 'set' the temp and hold it wherever you want. 200-225 for ribs - 5 hours. 325 for turkey - 6-7 hours. You can use the plate setter (heat diffuser) and set it for 425 for pizza. One of my favorites is meatloaf - 350 with plate setter for one hour. Crank it up to 700 and drop the grill for steaks (can I get a hell yeah @mniron and @jdriver?).

I also get amused when gas guys complain that you have to buy charcoal to make them work. Last time I checked the gas grills don't work when the bottle is empty. The number one complaint I hear from gas grillers is the start time for charcoal. It honestly isn't that long when you use the little natural starter squares, and I can speed mine up by using my shop vac on blow - most useful in the winter months.

I get 5 bags of the Royal Oaks lump charcoal when it's on sale at Home Depot in the spring for 10 or so dollars per bag and it lasts me a year. Best turkey I ever ate (and I wasn't the only one who said that):

Ribs!

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• Yes sir and have gone longer than 17 without adding coal or wood. Longest I have gone is 23 hours with 2 huge butts on at the same time. Agree on temp, once it is dialed in you are good. As I said went 17 hours at 250 and didn't check on it at all over the night.

Be careful with that nest, I have seen and heard awful stories abut them not holding up and giving out. I ended up making a table to prevent the humpty dumpty fall.

• If you are going to cook with gas way don't you just stick it in the oven, same difference. Charcoal is what a grill is for.

• Many of the gas grills out there offer a natural gas version. This is what I have and it hooks to the gas line on our patio. I like it because I never have to worry that I might run out of gas or have to go out to buy charcoal. I am sure that food taste better cooked in a BGE or a pellet smoker, but I am lazy

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies